• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp - Potential Jefferson Upgrade??

17 posts in this topic

Well first off, I needed this date and year to complete my set of 1950-Date Jefferson proofs. I used the best offer for this one and got it about $40 under ngc price guide. What I was wondering about is this thing looks like it may have enough cameo to upgrade. These are the sellers pics. Hopefully inhand I'll see even more. What do you think?

KGrHqZHJCE7zBECKBPGe8gtg60_12.jpg

KGrHqFHJBEE778Ec69BPGe8rPnw60_12.jpg

KGrHqZHJDE7zGWBRVBPGe9gBDNg60_12.jpg

very nice coin

you need to wait until you have coin in hand to make CAM possibility determination

as good photographer can make rost more than straight on

check the TRUST for DDO, the T's look slightly big

Looks cam to me and a very nice piece. Congrats on such a good deal!! (thumbs u

I agree looks like it may have a shot there Bobby, will wait for in hand opinion. (thumbs u

The reverse may hold it back, but then again, it might be a lock for the "star" designation.

Yea, I'm hoping the cameo but you are right, the rev will tell all.

Images can be very decieving, if anything, the truncation of Jefferson's bust and the door of Monticello may hold it back from getting that CAMeo designation.

Other than that, that's a nice looking proof for that particular year. Good job!

I always have a hard time judging photos using a flash. From the photo it looks like you have a good chance on obtaining a cameo designation,

Good luck.

Ed

Well I got the Jeff in and here are my pics. It's really a shame as the slab has some bad scuffing on it. The Jefferson is a really clean looking coin. Just as I and others were thinking, the monticello is not quite enough cameo for an upgrade. Still nice looking as far as I'm concerned tho'.

1951JeffersonNGCPF68.jpg

Nice looking Jefferson Bobby. I was hoping you'd be able to get the CAM designation, but no worries as you still have a very nice example for the date.

I agree. I like the coin, but as you have figured out, there is not enough contrast for a cameo designation. Honestly, I often like pieces like this better when they have some contrast, but do not command the exorbitant premium of their designated cameo counterparts. You can find a lot of appealing coins at surprisingly low prices. I have done this with a couple of mercury dimes.

Thanks Alan. In hand the Jeff doesn't have enough cameo for an upgrade. It's still turned out to be a nice addition tho'. Not sure what's next at this point. I'm thinking about concentrating on my Danscos this year.