Have a Cigar! Show your Gold Coins!
3 3

274 posts in this topic

My oldest gold coin!

It is cleaned and scratched Someday I hope to get a late eighteen century perhaps a1795 small eagle . Sigh, alsa they are out of my price range.

127955.jpg.e3070fc3082fdb2cd73b1506b28f2c0c.jpg

127956.jpg.555965242102d46e9da987f69c9ff5fb.jpg

My oldest gold coin!

It is cleaned and scratched Someday I hope to get a late eighteen century perhaps a1795 small eagle . Sigh, alsa they are out of my price range.

Is that a "2" underneath the "3" of 1803?

My oldest gold coin!

Is that a "2" underneath the "3" of 1803?

It's an 1803/2.

Thick original skinned and rare, just like I like them. The observed patina is characteristic for the year and date although it may have been dipped in the far past, who knows. To quote Winter - 'Between 75 and 80% of 1842-O quarter eagles I have seen are weakly struck. ' Those that are struck well appear to have die cracks at the bases of ICA in AMERICA. This one has the very fine die cracks on close inspection, that extends to the base between E and R as well. Within the grade of AU53, this one is as good as it gets and most of what is seen is wear, with a possible touch of weakness on eagles right leg feathers, weakness in Miss Liberty's hair around the face, etc.. Certainly there are examples out there with all central feathers mostly absent and lacking most of the features on Miss Liberty in MS holders for this New Orleans quarter eagle date. Whether this example would get a green bean though is another issue.

Of interest, this was sold at a HA auction in an earlier NGC holder in 2008. The images of this example in that holder show lots of dirt around the devices and in the dentils attesting to its originality, or at least it has been some time since dipped it if ever was. Now it is in an edge view holder, same grade, lacking dirt. I suspect it was sent into NCS to remove the dirt. If so, they did a great job in keeping the original patina but removing the dirt. Dirty Gold purists would probably not like the conservation performed but I like this piece. It may also be why it might not get the gold bean(?).

Best, HT

1842-O25dNGCAU53comp.jpg

Those are cruddy old coins. I have shinier ones in my wallet that I'm willing to trade you for some of those.

:)

Edited by Hepcat

I wish I had good pictures like some of you do. That one with the dude holding the coin up might be just a bit much but very creative for sure..

I tend to go south of the border for my favorite gold.

Population Graded NGC - 8 ---- Population at PF69 - 6 ----- None higher ----- Only 501 Proofs Minted

Obverse_large-325x325.jpg

Reverse_Large-325x325.jpg

DSCN4529-325x325.JPG

Population Graded NGC - 7 ----- Population at PF69 - 6 ----- 1 Higher at 70 ---- Only 303 Minted Proof and 303 Minted Business Strike

Obverse-325x325.jpg

Reverse-325x325.jpg

Slab-325x325.jpg

Only 500 Business Strikes Minted. Population of MS unknown. ---- Population of NGC Proof Graded 12 with 750 Proofs Minted Total

Obverse_Close_1-325x325.jpg

Reverse_Close_1-325x325.jpg

Obverse_Certification_1998_Gold-325x325.jpg

2013 20 Yn China Panda Gold PCGS MS70 ----- Probably Millions Minted. lol

DSCN3946-325x325.JPG

DSCN3944-325x325.JPG

DSCN3942-325x325.JPG

The rest are 1/10th Eagles in Proof and MS. Not very exciting to me so I wont post them.