• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shaking my head in disgust

118 posts in this topic

I think the seller has set himself up for the scrutiny his listing deserves. Each day there are hundreds of obviously artificially toned coins listed on E-Bay. Whenever I see something that seems anything but correct, I check out the sellers other offerings. If similar toning appears on other coins, I pass on everything then remind myself that because my toned coins are genuine, the coins the seller ruined make mine more valuable.

In this case the slabbed coin is intended to speak for the others. It may be possible they are all NT but to entertain that silly price I'll need some time to ensure what I'm buying is legit.

This Dealer would have been better off not implying they all came from the same source IMO. He hasn't done himself any favors.

This Dealer would have been better off not implying they all came from the same source IMO. He hasn't done himself any favors.

Agreed, This seller lists & sells on consignment. These are all from the same owner the way I understand it. What I don't understand is why in the heck are they listed together? I can't understand why as I feel he's shooting himself in the foot with this listing. I REALLY like the 55-D and would pay a premium for the attractive toning. The other coins are just a huge disappointment for me.

Add in that the slab says 1955 "P" and the mystery continues.

* Note The seller is apparently giving all the other pennies to the successful bidder the way that listing reads.

... Whenever I see something that seems anything but correct, I check out the sellers other offerings. If similar toning appears on other coins, I pass on everything then remind myself that because my toned coins are genuine, the coins the seller ruined make mine more valuable....

Unless one has solid evidence, it is unfair to assume that the seller of a "ruined" coin is the one who ruined it. Of course, people can assume whatever they care to, but that doesn't mean they're correct.

Could someone please post a link to auction # 370568099249 I was sent this group of coins by a consignor and mistakenly listed the aforementioned coin alone when if fact I was supposed to list all coins together. The owner alleges that all coins came in a sealed bag. If both PCGS and NGC each graded who am I to argue with them.

Luckily I was alerted to this auction by a friend as I would never know my reputation was being dragged through the mud. When you are consigned as many coins as I am,you can't always choose which ones to sell. As far as why they are all listed together, it was the consignors choice not mine.

Could someone please post a link to auction # 370568099249 I was sent this group of coins by a consignor and mistakenly listed the aforementioned coin alone when if fact I was supposed to list all coins together.

Link

Could someone please post a link to auction # 370568099249 I was sent this group of coins by a consignor and mistakenly listed the aforementioned coin alone when if fact I was supposed to list all coins together. The owner alledges that all coins came in a sealed bag. If both PCGS and NGC each graded who am I to argue with them.

Luckily I was alerted to this auction by a friend as I would never know my reputation was being dragged through the mud. When you are consigned as many coins as I am,you can't always choose which ones to sell. As far as why they are all listed together, it was the consignors choice not mine.

Glad you could join us.

Richard I expect much more from you. Many people look up to you here and ATS. Please dont play that card. Admit you made a mistake and deal with it. I understand completely that you have to make your consignors happy. It would be tough to say "no" to a customer. But at what point do you draw the line. Saying you dont know if they are AT or Natural is wrong of you. Do the right thing my friend.

Could someone please post a link to auction # 370568099249 I was sent this group of coins by a consignor and mistakenly listed the aforementioned coin alone when if fact I was supposed to list all coins together. The owner alledges that all coins came in a sealed bag. If both PCGS and NGC each graded who am I to argue with them.

Glad you could join us.

Richard I expect much more from you. Many people look up to you here and ATS. Please dont play that card. Admit you made a mistake and deal with it. I understand completely that you have to make your consignors happy. It would be tough to say "no" to a customer. But at what point do you draw the line. Saying you dont know if they are AT or Natural is wrong of you. Do the right thing my friend.

Some of us think the auction coin you linked is natural. Do you know otherwise, for a fact? If not, I think you were way out of line in saying what you did.

OK, I'm confused.

The link isn't the same listing, slab or price.

Time to regroup?

I think the point of the additional link was that both NGC and PCGS have graded examples with that look, from that group.

OK, I'm confused.

The link isn't the same listing, slab or price.

Time to regroup?

I think the point of the additional link was that both NGC and PCGS have graded examples with that look, from that group.

This is the 55-d listing Richard had to cancel because the owner of the coin wanted Richard to list it with the other coins as a BIN. So he did what the owner of the coin asked him to do.

Glad you could join us.

Some of us think the auction coin you linked is natural. Do you know otherwise, for a fact? If not, I think you were way out of line in saying what you did.

I dont remember saying that a coin was AT to be honest. I posted one of these little thingy's :censored:

So Maybe I should give my opinion. The coin in the NGC holder might very well be natural. Matter fact Id lean more toward natural than AT. But the other 37 coins are ridiculously AT'd. Not even close. To be honest its the person selling them that baffles me. Earlier in a different thread you pointed out to me that I called a 1807 half dollar a dollar. I made a mistake because I dont dabble in type. Im getting my feet wet in type so to speak. But when it comes to toners I can undoubtedly hold my own. Basically what I am saying is everybody has a niche and toning is Mr. D's. For him to act like those are from a bag is silly and shows deceit.

So, who thinks the NGC coin and the PCGS coin linked above are AT??? The third party services did not...sooooo, because someone thinks someone made a mistake, Richard should fix the problems of the world?? Buy what you like; don't buy what you don't like....for instance I love PCI Eagles that were "white" and toned stupidly in the holder...Are these AT??? I buy 'em.

Seller states his concern about the raw coins grading...the single coin is graded by NGC...what more do you expect? If you sell consignments you sell consignments...

To be honest I expected exactly what I am seeing. People running to the defense of a name. For what it is worth I do know a different consignor that has denied consignments that were AT. Thats what I like! Honesty and integrity.

Dimefreak, what is YOUR agenda???? Get it in the open.

My agenda is to get Mr.D to do the right thing. Nothing more........

CHEERS (thumbs u

Dimefreak, what is YOUR agenda???? Get it in the open.

My agenda is to get Mr.D to do the right thing. Nothing more........

CHEERS (thumbs u

He did, he indicated that he was not deeming the raw coins to be gradeable (i.e. he is not acknowledging that they are NT). With regards to defending a name, I am not defending him based on his name, but on his actual actions (as evidenced by his description on his auction) with respect to this auction.

From the auction in question:

...1955 d NGC MS65*RB Star Wild Gem Rainbow Toned Lincoln Cent Plus 37 Raw Coins. Gorgeous vivid two side toned color coin worthy of the coveted star designation. Outrageous eye appeal worthy of a premium bid. For accuracy sake the holder wrongly says 1955 p. According to the consignor these raw coins came in an original bag. No opinions on the gradeability of the raw coins. NO reserve!...

dimefreak it's obvious you have issues with greattoning. This is not the first thread you have created calling him out. I personally see no deciet in the listing. The pictures of the 37 coins are not the best and they very well could look like the slabbed coin. Plus he has a 7 day return policy. I agree with rainbow roosie, you obviously have some sort of hidden agenda or chip on your shoulder when it comes to this seller.

Nick

Not my taste! I have been seeing this guys coins for sale on Ebay for awhile (5-6 years maybe). I have never bought a coin from him. Everybody in this hobby gets to decide what they think about his toned coins and whether they will buy a specific look. At least he has varied the formula a little, when he first started out, all his toned coins all looked pretty much the same as far as coloring. That bothered me but he does get them into holders whatever that means?

I don't get it....I don't see a problem here. The slabbed coin is fine I suppose if others say so. However, the real question is the other 37 coins. The seller made NO claims and even brought up the obvious issue. What's wrong with that?

What's the worst that can happen? Someone buys some AT'd coins? So what?

jom

Not my taste! I have been seeing this guys coins for sale on Ebay for awhile (5-6 years maybe). I have never bought a coin from him. Everybody in this hobby gets to decide what they think about his toned coins and whether they will buy a specific look. At least he has varied the formula a little, when he first started out, all his toned coins all looked pretty much the same as far as coloring. That bothered me but he does get them into holders whatever that means?

I have bought several coins off of EBay from Greattoning and have been very satisfied in every case.

I have bought several coins off of EBay from Greattoning and have been very satisfied in every case.

Same here.

Question: Has anyone seen a bag of Lincolns opened? Has anyone seen this type of toning come from a bag? I've never heard of such a thing. The story sounds fake. The color looks fake. I agree the seller is making no claims - but a reputable seller of toned coins should refuse consignments that he thinks to be AT. That is his obligation, and will help to preserve his reputation.

but a reputable seller of toned coins should refuse consignments that he thinks to be AT

what if the coin was in a PCGS or NGC slab??

why are you pushing your opinion on everyone - the BIN is so high, only someone with a strong opinion of their own would purchase this item

I have no issue with this auction.. Even the seller states "no opinions on the gradeability of the raw coins" in the auction description. Thats honesty in my opinion.

And as stated earlier he has a return policy....

dimefreak it's obvious you have issues with greattoning. This is not the first thread you have created calling him out. I personally see no deciet in the listing. The pictures of the 37 coins are not the best and they very well could look like the slabbed coin. Plus he has a 7 day return policy. I agree with rainbow roosie, you obviously have some sort of hidden agenda or chip on your shoulder when it comes to this seller.

Nick

I can assure you there is no hidden agenda.Im just simply stating my opinion. Its obvious many here agree. Some, like myself, were taking by surprise. It is what it is. Im not going to sit on the computer all day arguing a moot point. Some dont mind dealing with people like that and some do. I like to deal with trusting individuals. That is all.

but a reputable seller of toned coins should refuse consignments that he thinks to be AT

what if the coin was in a PCGS or NGC slab??

why are you pushing your opinion on everyone - the BIN is so high, only someone with a strong opinion of their own would purchase this item

I would expect him to refuse them if he knew they were AT

It never ceases to amaze me at how opinionated folks can get. I mean, really, if you do not like the coin, do not bid on it. And the guy does have a return policy, so what is the issue?

I love all coins, toned ones interest me somewhat, but I also love blast white silver if it has has a light dip. So what? I can like what I want, but I will not push my opinion on anyone else. Lighten up everyone!

Variety is the spice of life. I love blondes, brunettes and redheads, and they are all sweet in their own ways. I would hate to know I only had limited myself to one type over the years. I would have missed out on some sweet times.

To me, if a coin was minted in 1890 and is in great shape, I could care less if .0000001% of the coin has a little tarnish on it. I look at the other .9999999 % of the coin. The history and mystic of the coin is very much still there to me. Some of my favorite gold pieces have even been cleaned!!! Yes, cleaned!! Boy, bet some of you fell on the floor about that! I just imagine that old Jesse James decided that old gold piece had a little too much grime on it and took his bandana and wiped it off!

Ok, I have said my 2 cents worth!

MM