• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you get coin collecting information?

37 posts in this topic

Long ago, people subscribed to Numismatic Scrapbook, and other monthly publications, or maybe a weekly publication when they became available in the early 1960s. Now, there seem to be many more ways to receive coin information.

What do some of the board members use to "keep informed?"

I subscribe to a couple of coin magazines such as Numismatic News and Coin World. Other than that I have found the forums here to be helpful along with google searches on particular coins that I wish to know more about from time to time.

This forum is pretty much all I read regularly.

+1

Asking questions is the best way, IMO.

jom

Long ago, people subscribed to Numismatic Scrapbook, and other monthly publications, or maybe a weekly publication when they became available in the early 1960s. Now, there seem to be many more ways to receive coin information.

Ummm,

I read your Posts!!!

Isn't that logical???

Sheesh.....

Respectfully,

John Curlis

redbooks, coinworld forum (although not that much) and mostly here. No periodicals but online articles from both PCGS and NGC.

I'm getting very thrifty (meaning cheap) and lazy in my old age. I used to subscribe to all of the mags, but I cancelled them all and expect you guys to keep me up-to-date.

Chris

I read the E-Sylum and the E-Gobrecht, as well as the Asylum, the Gobrecht Journal, the Numismatist and Coin World.

And, of course, I belong to these message boards and ATS.

I read various stories posted online, use a blue book and E-Bay (actual sales prices with shipping) for most day to day info. When I need a specific answer about a coin or variety, Google is my friend.

I read Coin World, Coinage, the Numismatist and I spend about two hours per day chatting online and visiting dealer websites and Auction websites. Can you say---'addiction' ??

Coin Facts has been a reliable "hard facts" resource for me.

Also, “Renaissance of American Coinage” and “Guide Book of Peace Dollars”

Ummm,

I read your Posts!!!

Isn't that logical???

Sheesh.....

Respectfully,

John Curlis

But, I thought there was always a but ;):kidaround:

Personally, I am reading the publications from Coin World, the Numistmatist from the ANA, the US mint website, greysheets, and a couple of RSS feeds like the mint blog.com....oh yeah, and of course picking everyone's brain here!

coinworld forum (although not that much)

Coin World has a forum? I know they did at one time, I was a member, but it closed down years ago. Is there another one now?

I read Numismatist and the Chopmark Collectors Club newsletter. I also browse these NGC forums, read old books, and check price lists. The old books help me to get new insights, and that is one way to "keep up."

Coin World

Coinage

The Numismatists

This forum

ATS

My own research which includes coin show observations, extensive readingss in history and economics and studying other people's collections.

coinworld forum (although not that much)

Coin World has a forum? I know they did at one time, I was a member, but it closed down years ago. Is there another one now?

Coin World has a website that subscribers can use more than non-subscribers, and I get emails from them from time to time.

Shocked nobody has said the greysheet. That is one of the most valuable tools a dealer or collector can have.

Ummm...me....I mentioned them.....Great source of information....

Maybe your hair was blocking the view of my post Bruce.... :roflmao:

aka "nobody"...

Shocked nobody has said the greysheet. That is one of the most valuable tools a dealer or collector can have.

For coin collecting information? I don't think I'm missing anything there.

Ummm...me....I mentioned them.....Great source of information....

Maybe your hair was blocking the view of my post Bruce.... :roflmao:

aka "nobody"...

Yeah I missed that. BTW coin pricing is part of collecting even if we do not always like it.

Ummmm,

I mildly resent the use of my Ummmm, which came before your Ummmm....

Respectfully, (and slightly miffed at the rampant stealing of words in other members' Posts, that is becoming a daily event)

John Curlis