• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

why don't we just melt all the gold dollars in storage to reduce our debt?

37 posts in this topic

Wow. How could something so factually incorrect actually get published by a news organization??? Does they really think the golden dollars are made of gold? Really???? We are doomed if people like this can actually vote.

It is amazing that the local TV station so stupid. Don’t they know that the “golden dollars” they are dumping out of those bags as a background graphic don’t contain a particle of gold? At any rate, there is not enough gold in the world to pay our 15 trillion dollar deficit unless the price of gold is far higher than it is now. The news media can be so pathetic.

Really???

... yes, he has the price of gold wrong by two times it's current value, and yes, there are no coins with actual gold in circulation... minor details....

Honestly... take a look at our government and the decisions they make on a daily basis. With this type of logic, this guy could be elected to be our next president!

Did I mention I work with the government on a daily basis?.... This doesn't surprise me at all...in fact, my only surprise is that the government hasn't jumped all over the idea....yet.

At least he didn't use his real name..."Smith???" ..wonder what kind of "tank" he has been "thinking" in?

How do I get in touch with this guy, I'll sell him all the "gold dollars" he wants for only $100 per coin; then he can sell them to the govt for $400 each and make a fortune, then the govt can sell them to foreign govts for $800 and we can pay off the debt. Wow, sounds like a great plan. :-)

you guys complaining of errors should watch the video clip - a lady coin dealer stated gold near $1600 and reasons for buying/holding.

as far as the nimbrob who wants to melt all the gold, why don't they just start printing $1000 bills and pay of the debt with that - since they can't print $100 bills fast enogh to pay off the debt

lol gold coins out of circulation? how many people use gold coins in a commerce setting?

I know of an old acquaintance who acquired a $20 St. Gaudens to fund a purchase about a year ago from an elderly woman. I think he did the right thing and gave her more than face. Nevertheless, she was only trying to get face value for it!

Credit is due to Phillip “Think Tank” Smith and KJCT TV for bringing this ingenious idea to the attention of the American Public. I did not know that Sacagawea Dollars were actually made of gold! At between $600 and $800 dollars per ounce, this makes the US Mint’s pricing of their Native American rolls much more reasonable. How can you not be optimistic about America’s future when you see inspiring stories like this?

We better all learn to use chop sticks.....with China holding our debt and if this is the level of intelligence out there.... How do you say (as the filter would inject) "insufficently intelligent person" in Mandarin?

This segment was created by a local television station, not the ABC network. (Disclosure - I don't work for ABC, I work for an another, much smarter network.)

Nevertheless there was a producer involved who should have really had someone check facts BEFORE this aired. I suppose that someone was an intern.

Next time you see someone declared an expert on television take what they say with a grain of salt. In my book an expert is someone who has been around for a long time and learned what they know the hard way. These days an expert seems to be anyone who can Google and speak slowly. :)

"Instant Journalism" doesn't need research - facts and investigation are unimportant....I would have demoted the producer and reporter for failure to research before broadcast.

PS: I wrote to the reporter. Silence.

We better all learn to use chop sticks.....with China holding our debt and if this is the level of intelligence out there.... How do you say (as the filter would inject) "insufficently intelligent person" in Mandarin?

China does not hold our debt, they hold a portion of it and certainly not a major portion of it (yet). US citizens hold the largest portion of the US debt - 67% as of January 2011, whereas China held 8% of the total US debt at that time. So not only is the debt problem gonna hit our economy overall, but it will be a double whammy to many US citizens of we don't get something done about it. Let your daft congressman know this and tell him/her to do something about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_public_debt

In response to 'Obama' proposing this to congress, this seems instead something the the other side of the political spectrum would pick up and propose actually. Listen to the debates right now and at least on that side, you don't see much brain power..........

you guys complaining of errors should watch the video clip - a lady coin dealer stated gold near $1600 and reasons for buying/holding.

And in the video clip they keep switching the picture between real gold coins, gold bars, gold bullion coins and the Sac dollars, but they never mention that the Sac dollars have no gold in them! What this clip is telling a lot of the "insufficiently thoughtful people" out there is that the Sac dollars ARE GOLD! (On the other hand that might be one way to get them out of government storage.)

My head hurts now, but at least I'm reminded of why I completely ignore our illustrious media...the value they add is incredible...