• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ahhh... if I only had a spare $5500.00...

19 posts in this topic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1799-1-DRAPED-BUST-DOLLAR-PCGS-XF-40-PHENOMENAL-RAINBOW-COLOR-TONED-RARE-/170732521936?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item27c07389d0

Beautiful early toned dollar...

I know nothing about toning on circulated early US coins... Any opinions as to NT, AT, MA ?

Thanks...

If it looks like what I think it probably looks like, it is almost certainly an attractive coin. The colors are probably subtle and dark, hence the ridiculous juicing of those photos. The price is a bit high, but not outlandish. I certainly would not have bought it from those pictures without a rock solid return policy, that's for sure.

You often see these old silver circulated coins toned in fantastic colors, through time in albums or envelopes. They can be quite spectacular on occasion.

You often see these old silver circulated coins toned in fantastic colors, through time in albums or envelopes.

Yes, that sure looks like 20th century envelope toning.

Paul

What is 20th Century envelope toning?

Collectors in the early-to-mid 20th century often stored their collections in 2x2 paper envelopes. The sulfur in the paper tends to give the coins a tone over the whole coin (whereas albums generally tend to tone in rings around the edges). The top coin is an envelope coin, the bottom is an album coin.

1306373_Full_Obv.jpg

1466125_Full_Obv.jpg

Just my opinion, but that coin is hideous. I wouldn't buy it if someone gave me the $5,500.

Sorry, but I agree. It appears to be harshly cleaned, and the subsequent toning must not be all that great considering how severely the images are juiced.