• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25th Silver Eagle Set

62 posts in this topic

Seems like everyone is selling these for about $600 per set. With having 2 coins from a popular series with mintage's of only 100,000 one being a reverse proof it seems like in time these sets will be a lot higher then just $600.

While $600 seems high right now I would think that these people that are buying them to flip would be better off to hold them a while before selling them.

What does everyone else think? If $600 going to be the low end of what these are going for a year from now?

Anyone care to list there guess what they will be going for a year from the release date?

I really believe these will be going closer to $1000 a set myself. Look at the 2006 set. Sold for $100, still go for $300 today. I think this set will be more in demand. jmo

I think it will all depend on the price of silver...if silver remains in the same price range it has been lately from $30-$40 I think these sets will stay around $500-$600 unitl after Christmas, then maybe drop down from there to more affordable prices like around $400.

If silver goes down...so with the price and vice versa.

The bottom line is whether you bought the 2006 ASE anniversary set for $100 or if you had bought silver bars at spot for $100 in 2006...they would both be worth about the same today...due to the price of silver.

While I don't think the price of this new set will drop below the mint selling price, I think after the initial frenzy starts to die down and prices settle you will be able to find raw sets for modest prices over the original mint price. The ones who are going to pay $600 or more are worried they are going to miss out.

Just my opinions.

Seems like everyone is selling these for about $600 per set. With having 2 coins from a popular series with mintage's of only 100,000 one being a reverse proof it seems like in time these sets will be a lot higher then just $600.

While $600 seems high right now I would think that these people that are buying them to flip would be better off to hold them a while before selling them.

What does everyone else think? If $600 going to be the low end of what these are going for a year from now?

Anyone care to list there guess what they will be going for a year from the release date?

The trouble with that thinking is, if the sets start averaging, say, $750, a lot of people will hold out for $900. Then when $900 is reached, they start thinking $1100 is within reach. Greed overcomes fear. For me, $600/set is a nice double of my money, thank you very much.

The trouble with that thinking is, if the sets start averaging, say, $750, a lot of people will hold out for $900. Then when $900 is reached, they start thinking $1100 is within reach. Greed overcomes fear. For me, $600/set is a nice double of my money, thank you very much.

Aren't you one of those who has 10 sets for sale? What happened to the 5-set limit?

Chris

Well, I guess I am one of the "flippers" but I only ordered 2 sets, for two reasons: first to make sure if there were any problems I would at least have one good set (I'm cautious on sell out coins where if you only get one and there's a problem, then you are faced with a choice of sending back any maybe ending up with nothing, or settling for a less than perfect set), and second, if both sets are good, then I sell the duplicate and defray some of the cost of the set I will keep. Yeah, maybe it's not fair to those who only want one set, but I spend 2 billable hours ordering them, and at $175 per hour, I still lose money even at $600!

Heck Jeff, I would not have any hard feelings if I could've ordered 2 sets my self. I could only afford one, but it would've been nice to have 2 in order to get your money back on the first set. I knew these sets were gonna go very fast and the market for them was going to be high priced. I believe these sets will remain high priced for sometime.

Thanks for the comments. I was thinking they would settle at a price higher then $600 myself. The 2006 is 3x what it started at and has a 250,000 sets as compared to only 100,000. Also the 2006 set only had one coin that they made only 250,000 of were as the 2011 set has 2 coins that have a limit of 100,000.

I guess only time will tell.

Well, I guess I am one of the "flippers" but I only ordered 2 sets, for two reasons: first to make sure if there were any problems I would at least have one good set (I'm cautious on sell out coins where if you only get one and there's a problem, then you are faced with a choice of sending back any maybe ending up with nothing, or settling for a less than perfect set), and second, if both sets are good, then I sell the duplicate and defray some of the cost of the set I will keep. Yeah, maybe it's not fair to those who only want one set, but I spend 2 billable hours ordering them, and at $175 per hour, I still lose money even at $600!

You shouldn't feel bad about that, Jeff. At least you played by the rules. What I object to is the people who find a way to order more than the 5 sets allowed and gouge all the others who tried to order but couldn't get any.

Chris

I don't think flipping is a problem at all. The only problem seems to be the availability for all to get a shot at buying. We are all TAX PAYERS so we all should get a shot.

If some people were able to buy more than 5 sets then something is wrong. However, I'm not sure how the Mint can keep some people from opening multiple accounts at different addresses. Maybe there is a way...I dunno.

Maybe another way for the Mint to put a stop to it is start REALLY overpricing this stuff....I can't see any other way to get around the speculation that goes on....

jom

I don't think flipping is a problem at all. The only problem seems to be the availability for all to get a shot at buying. We are all TAX PAYERS so we all should get a shot.

If some people were able to buy more than 5 sets then something is wrong. However, I'm not sure how the Mint can keep some people from opening multiple accounts at different addresses. Maybe there is a way...I dunno.

Maybe another way for the Mint to put a stop to it is start REALLY overpricing this stuff....I can't see any other way to get around the speculation that goes on....

jom

The way to get around it/the speculation, etc., is to stop with the limited mintages.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't it the Dept of Treasury and/or Congress that stipulates the actual mintage numbers??? I don't think the US mint has anything to do with this do they? We have what, 4 mint facilities that wound up producing this eagle set. The mints produce them, packages them, and then just sells them with the 5 per household limit. Not sure who sets the household limit. I don't think the mint can do anything about someone else's family member buying for another as long as a there is a different name and address. Yea it sucks, but I think it would be very discriminating for the US mint to try to start pointing fingers at buyers and trying to make accusations of fraud. It would be very hard to prove don't you think? As Mark stated, the only thing that would stop all this is not limiting the mintages. 2009 & 2010 was a supposed shortage of silver blanks for the Proof and Uncirc "W" eagles, so what happened? No Eagles (besides the bullion ones). This may have also been the reason for limiting this 25th set. Just 2 yrs ago we seen the same scenario with the Lincoln Chronicle set and there were only 50,000 of those. They weren't as popular as the eagles but there was a household limit and there was talk of buyers having family members buying and the same ole same ole as we're seeing here. I realize it's not fair but not everyone plays by the rules and never will. People have to realize the world they are in and just try to plan for it best as they can. I'm hoping I get my one and only set I ordered and saved up for. I planned for it and I set on the Ph redial button and the PC refresh button for 1hr 45mins until I was able to get my order in. I knew this was going to happen and I planned for it. I really don't think the mint is any better than any B&M that's in business. First come first serve, money talks. I hope I didn't offend anyone here!

The way to get around it/the speculation, etc., is to stop with the limited mintages.

Well, yeah. I just assumed that the mintages were in the legislation already. (shrug)

jom

If I'm not mistaken, isn't it the Dept of Treasury and/or Congress that stipulates the actual mintage numbers???

It depends on the sets/series. In some cases the mintage will be written into the legislation, if it isn't then the decision is left up to the Secretary of the Treasury or the Mint itself. I doubt the Sec makes the decision on every set and he probably has some method of delegating the decision to the Mint officers.

There was no legislation relating to the creation of the 25th anniversary set so the mintage decision was made either by the Sec or the Mint staff.

jom

Is it possible that there are other ways?

Might the problem be solved if the Government simply stopped producing speculation numismatic related items?

I can't find the wording in the Constitution/Law/Redbook, etc., that stipulates the Government is supposed to, and was established to, be a Numismatic Market Dealer/Manufacturer/Speculator. OCCUPY!!!!!

However improbable, it may also be helpful if Numismatists/Collectors/Dealers/TPGs/Numismatic Organizations made a commitment to not support these types of Programs, by whatever method they choose-notifying elected Representatives, not buying, etc.

I know, silly, really, but we did have a rather wonderful Revolution that started with a lot less persons as a participating group. Somehow, it seemed to catch on....

Respectfully,

John Curlis

jom

I agree. How did they come up with 100,000 mintage? I understand gold coins being that low due to the overall price of gold and gold's ability to jump.. but silver coins? I dont get it.

jom

I agree. How did they come up with 100,000 mintage? I understand gold coins being that low due to the overall price of gold and gold's ability to jump.. but silver coins? I dont get it.

I don't know either. I suggested above that it was in the legislation but then again maybe it was just a Mint decision.

However, there has to be a happy medium because....you know...not as many people will want these (ie speculators) if the mintage is too HIGH. At that point the set itself devalues....I'm sure there is a middle ground somewhere.

jom

jom

Flipping is the problem. Some people are advertising 25 sets for sale. How do you get 25 sets unless you have friends and relatives that also could care less about coin collecting get them for you?.

What would you call purchasing them for $300 and then selling them for $600 then $800 then $1900 and $3000.

The sets should have been limited to one per address.

I'm fairly sure they are. The Mint stipulates on these not "5 per customer" but "5 per household." But they're not going to call everyone who orders and ask if they know any of the other 60,000 who ordered and are just ordering them as a friend for flipping. They're not going to call everyone with the same last name and ask if they're just family members ordering for flipping. Nor everyone with a P.O. box and ask if they also tried to order some to a home address and their business address.

Flipping wouldn't be the problem if either:

1) The Mint made MORE sets

2) Or the Mint charged more for the sets.

The problem is supply/demand. I'm not sure what the Mint was allowed to do so if they could have made a MILLION sets would have slowed down this speculation? I think so.

jom

I think if I make it from waiting list to confirmed list, I'm gonna get my 2 sets slabbed and then display one set in one of these.. http://www.finehomedisplays.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BX-78055

This is exactlly what I bought for my Birthyear set I'm putting together. It's a very nice box! I like it alot.

IMG_5548.jpg

that's a great idea..I hadn't even thought of using one for my birth year ( my coins are actually silver for my birth year--yeah, I'm that old....

The only problem seems to be the availability for all to get a shot at buying. We are all TAX PAYERS so we all should get a shot.

Everyone had a shot, most taxpayers didn't shoot, and a lot of the ones that did missed. That's what happens when a lot of people are all shooting a the same ever deceasing size target.

Flipping wouldn't be the problem if either:

1) The Mint made MORE sets

2) Or the Mint charged more for the sets.

The problem is supply/demand. I'm not sure what the Mint was allowed to do so if they could have made a MILLION sets would have slowed down this speculation? I think so.

jom

The problem was not normal supply and demand. There was artificial demand because people who were not collectors, had never bought a set in these series before the set of five and will never buy a set from the U.S. Mint again. It was artificial demand and practices that drove up,Housing prices and created the Housing crisis until the bubble burst.

Nothing on that scale will happen here because of the limited numbers and. Only a small chance for flipping.There wil be a small crash.

I took my first look on Ebay on them this evening. There area lot of sets that have been opened so three of the five coins will not get the designation. There are people who have broken up the sets and are selling the reverse proof and the "S" mint separately for $400.The three that remain in the case wil not get the special label and will be just like the generic 2011 eagles that are flooding the Market

The Dealers that are doing this have "No Returns accepted on their site". The people mthat buy the above coins will be out of luck.

The U.S. Mint has no obligation to the taxpayer.They advertise " first come first served". The problem I have with the U.S. Mint is that they claim that they hold the customer in the highest regard. They also send out brochures dedicated to the collector. Nonsense. A customer that only orders once every five or ten years is not a customer that has ordered steady for ten years.

If they cared then they would have followed the disclaimer on their site to extend or adjust the offering. They could have adjusted sets to one per order and given everybody a chance..

They don't care about the collector.

Normally I would care about the Dealers on EBAY and their taking advantage of some people. Not in the case of this Bigger Fool Frenzy.

The only problem seems to be the availability for all to get a shot at buying. We are all TAX PAYERS so we all should get a shot.

Everyone had a shot, most taxpayers didn't shoot, and a lot of the ones that did missed. That's what happens when a lot of people are all shooting a the same ever deceasing size target.

Nonsense. I tried from 12 PM . I had my Lap Top on one arm of the Sofa and a phone on redial in the other hand. I tried for four hours non stop until they said "sold out".

I went back a few days later and I had an order on there that had not completed. I was able to get it through and get a confirmation number,however I have no doubt that I will not get one.

So I don;t know where you get "most".Everyone did not have shot.

It is not a life or death situation for me.I have been buying them from the Mint since 1986 as well as annual proof sets,I have had a standing subscription for the Proof and Uncirculated A.S.E. since it was possible and the Silver Proof set.

The Majority of the Price Increase in the A.S.E over that time has been in the price of Silver. My PF 70 2006 Reverse proof has decreased from $750 and is now at $550 and now there are two of them.

The Sellers on EBAY are offering open sets and three of the coins will not get the special label. There are sellers who have split up the sets and are selling the Reverse Proof and the "S" Mint mark for $400. The remaining three will not get the special label . These Sellers are also "Not accepting Returns".

These open sets will not get the special label and will flood he Market with the other Generic 2011 labels.

The Majority of the unopened sets are almost $4000 and I have seen a few even higher\.

There are all kinds of bidders participating in this bigger fool frenzy. If I had received a set then I would have sent in for grading. I will not pay these prices for a Modern series . I can better spend that money on Morgans.

I just picked up an 1880CC GSA Morgan Dollar NGC MS63 Reverse of 78 for $695. NGC lists it retail for $910 and I value it much more than any A.S.E.

Hopefully these people will spend all their money on the A.S.E rip off and leave less competition for me with the Morgan Market place. especially with a probable need for money with Christmas coming up for them.

I have cancelled all my Subscriptions to the U.S. Mint and will never order another item from them.If all I can get is the Generic items then why not go to E Bay for them?.

HSN has to be the WORST on the planet. Mike with his fat man or the retared guy with the fake British accent... oh good god!.. And ANACS.. please!

Mike would say "absolutely positively" every 15 seconds... oh yea.. remind him to do a touch-up on his make-up... he looks like he is trying to push a log..