• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's springing for the new platinum book for $17,500 by CPM?

31 posts in this topic

Before you make the next purchase of a platinum eagle coin, you might wish to read about the detailed prospects and projections for the platinum group metals as analyzed by CPM. The book being released this month, Sept. 2011, seems at first glance to be a bit pricey at 17 and a half grand, but since you'll get 245 pages of information, when you break it down, that's only around $71.43 per page, so that's not too bad. Another way of looking at it is if the book weighs over 10 ounces, you're getting it more cheaply ounce-for-ounce than what you'd have to currently shell out for the equivalent weight of platinum metal purchased at spot.

Here's the link.

Holy smokes !!!

Isn't that something ?

My take is that it must be touting bullish fundamentals. If the outlook was bearish, the book would have not been so expensive.

Paul

Is it actually made of the metal? Where does it say it?

Nope, sorry, the book's just made out of regular ordinary paper, the high value is from the pearls of wisdom and revelations of inside information you should expect to glean from each page, each paragraph, each line, and even each word. You'll only get your full money's worth if your reading comprehension is at an extremely high level. For purchases of any actual metal bullion there's an extra charge.

The book appears to be the type of commercial market research study that commonly has a fairly high price. The time and research is expensive. It is aimed at business users who want critical market information not available elsewhere. Some are sold by subscription and others by the individual copy.

Another similar study is on the rare earth metals.

I got my advanced kindle book copy for 99¢ from amazon.com

Be wary of trying to save a few bucks by obtaining a bootleg or counterfeit version which may contain altered or inappropriate investment advice and may not be suitable for all audiences, and won't feature the hardbound binding, the authentic imprinted trademark, and the microchip used to track purchasers to make sure they aren't sharing their copies. :whistle:

The book appears to be the type of commercial market research study that commonly has a fairly high price. The time and research is expensive. It is aimed at business users who want critical market information not available elsewhere. Some are sold by subscription and others by the individual copy.

Another similar study is on the rare earth metals.

thanks for the information.

i'd be interested in the rare earth elements as i trade their stocks often.

good to know.

thanks again.

Before you make the next purchase of a platinum eagle coin, you might wish to read about the detailed prospects and projections for the platinum group metals as analyzed by CPM. The book being released this month, Sept. 2011, seems at first glance to be a bit pricey at 17 and a half grand, but since you'll get 245 pages of information, when you break it down, that's only around $71.43 per page, so that's not too bad. Another way of looking at it is if the book weighs over 10 ounces, you're getting it more cheaply ounce-for-ounce than what you'd have to currently shell out for the equivalent weight of platinum metal purchased at spot.

Here's the link.

Why on earth would any purchase this? Given the high price, it is clear that the authors think their advice on the bullion market is valuable, and the authors are likely to recommend purchasing platinum. For that amount of money, you could probably buy about 10 ounces of it.

If you were in business mining or selling Pt group metals, you would want to have good, objective information on usage trends.

If you were in business mining or selling Pt group metals, you would want to have good, objective information on usage trends.

My brother-in-law works for Stillwater Mining in Montana and after some of the conversations I have had with him in the past I would imagine they could write the book themselves. I am not sure if they have a department dedicated to such analysis but I do know they do it.

All that being said...I would also bet they bought the book...lol. For them it's just another business expense and like RWB said give them objective opinions that will either validate their views or maybe cause them to take second looks.

SWC looks like a buying opp now that i look at it..

I bought before they announced buying the gold mine in SA....needless to say I am still in the red. :makepoint:

I would suspect a typo and it is supposed to be $175.00 and not 17500.

That's a fine logical guess from a perceptive poster, one of my favorite posters, but when I checked on the price, I received the following response from CPM Group Managing Director Jeffrey M. Christian:

"The price of our Platinum Group Metals Long-Term Outlook indeed is $17,500. If you think of it as a book, that would seem expensive. If you understand what its 244 pages contain, it becomes clear how valuable this information is. This report is the most complete compendium of information and analysis on the markets for platinum, palladium, and rhodium. It distills the received knowledge from more than 30 years of collective research on these markets, and presents detailed projections for supply, demand, and price for each of these three metals under three distinct scenarios over the coming 10 years. This information is invaluable for many companies and investors. It helps mining, exploration, and development companies better understand the price and demand risks they should expect to encounter if they proceed with a multi-billion dollar mine development program. It helps manufacturers understand the supply and price risks they will face if they decide to employ these metals in their products or manufacturing processes. A single oil refinery might have more than $360 million worth of platinum or palladium in it. That’s an enormous price risk, and understanding the parameters of that metal price and supply exposure helps companies sometimes make better decisions than they would make without those insights. The same analysis helps institutional and high net worth individual investors make better buy, hold, or sell decisions.

So, yes, this report’s content are priced at $17,500. $71 per page may seem high compared to the $26 I paid for Bobbi Ann Mason’s wonderful new novel last weekend, but it pales in comparison the values involved in making wise decisions by mining companies, refineries, industrial users, and investors in these markets. Many companies do not pay $17,500 for this report, however: Instead, they take it as part of a larger, higher priced consulting package that includes having CPM Group’s team of analysts, advisors, and investment banking experts provide them a wide array of additional insights and assistance in managing their exposure to platinum group metals prices.

I would suspect a typo and it is supposed to be $175.00 and not 17500.

$175.00 is much more appropriate. $17,500 is absurd! :makepoint:

If you think about it, $175 is still very outrageous for a book. Red books are cheaper than that. $17.50 would at least be slightly reasonable. (They price the book so high as to make the buyer feel like they are getting something very importaant)

If you think about it, $175 is still very outrageous for a book.

Depends on the book. Before the digital version came out the D&H book on Conder tokens was running $200 a copy and I'm on my third copy. I've got my eye on a couple other books that are running in the $300 to $500 range. At the ANA I purchased the new book on Bust quarters (that I don't even collect) for $105. Good specialized books are not cheap. But $17.5K? Considering who it is for and that it is highly specialized I MIGHT see $1,750 but I just can't see $17.5K