• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Loss of an outstanding YN

22 posts in this topic

I don't know how many of you knew Mark Petty AKA Speedy. I believe he was a former Outstanding YN of the Year winner. He has been doing an internship with Stacks/Bowers this summer in New York. Speedy was found dead in his apartment last night. I don't know anything further at this time but it is believe to have been related to an underlying medical condition. Speedy was 22 years old. If I learn more I'll pass it along.

That is heartbreaking.

I had corresponded with Mark on a few occasions and met him at a show earlier this year. He was full of energy and enthusiasm, and a pleasure to chat with. He was a gentleman whose love for collecting and the hobby was unmistakable.

My prayers and condolences go out to his family and all of those whose lives he touched.

I had several interesting conversations with him via PCGS PM, and was privileged that he asked me to review the content of his seated dollar display last March.

So sad for someone with much of life ahead....

Added photo of Speety that he posted on PCGS board.

Mahi-Mahi.jpg

Gosh that really is such a shame :(

I remember reading ATS when he got the job at Bowers and how excited has was. It would of been a dream job and nice that he got to live it , at least a little.

Very sad news. My condolences to his friends here and ATS and to his family. I noticed his Seated Dollar display at CSNS, but I never cut out time to go look closer and chat with him. I feel like a real now.

On behalf of Legend Numismatics and myself, we are deeply shocked and devasted to learn of the loss of Mark.

I have been in touch with his dad-and it is believed his death is the result of natural causes of an illness he had. He said on Tuesday they will know when the services will be.

For years now I had cooresponded with him. He was such a great and special kid. We chatted about everything from coins to fishing.

He was so much more enjoyable to chat with vs so many of todays stuck up ego driven collectors. Mark deeply loved coins and loved building his collection. How faithfully he worked with his dad always inspired me (they are the father and son team I always speak and write about).

I can not say enough about Mark. My deepest condolences to his partner and best friend-his dad. Marks memory will forever be with me and my partners. His loss was way too sudden and soon.

Laura Sperber

This is a great loss. He was a young man on an amazing rise! He even shared some interesting information with me via PM a few months ago. I really appreciated it. It saddens me when things like this happens. Hold your loved ones close as you never know when time is up! Condolences to his family and friends. :(

Such a tragedy! We will truly miss this young man. I ask that we all pray for blessings for Speety and his family. I will miss his informative posts with such beautiful coins.

Jim