• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just joined, new to the hobby

24 posts in this topic

Just wanted to say hi!

Only been at this wonderful new hobby for about a month now, but have absolutely fallen in love with it

I have been reading a ton and have decided to focus on just a couple of things which really interest me, namely mint/proof sets and dollar coins.

Not to say i wont pick up something else if it suits my fancy, but that is really where my interest lies

I hope to post here often and learn from you guys obvious wealth of knowledge.

See you around!!!

Harry, welcome!

The thrill is the most intense at the beginning of your journey. Just be careful along the way since the tuition can be real expensive.

Some quickie advice: if you're going to collect modern proof sets, just remember that they can be had cheaply and don't expect to resell them for any profit even decades from now (too many made).

Good luck and let us know when you add something to your collection.

If nothing else, they are pretty to look at though.

Welcome to the mind boggling arena of coin collecting Harry Rod :blush: ...good thing to focus in one area until your knowledge expands, we are all still learning.

:hi:

Welcome to the Forum. Sounds like you are starting off very wisely. Read, read some more and ask lots of questions. Take full advantage of the years of experience many forum members have here.

The people on this forum have helped me tremendously in gaining factual information and real world experience collecting coins.

Enjoy your journey,

Carl

Welcome!!!! Please feel free to ask for advice and to ask any questions. We're here to help and the combined forum has a many years of practical experience.

Welcome and Ditto! (thumbs u

Welcome, Harry!!

This is a first-rate, friendly & very informative forum.

Enjoy the journey!

Personally, the excitement never fades; it only gets more intense for me, even though I have been at this for a long time.

Just like the others have already said; feel free to ask any questions that you may have and we will try to help you as much as we can.

This is a GREAT place to be with marvelous & insightful people.

Here are my first two decent acquisitions outside of some proof sets i have just gotten in. I posted these over on CoinTalk, but figured i would share them here as well.

One is a 1915 Quarter eagle, the other is a 1921-S morgan that i got at a flea market for 8 bucks!

Morgan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31101571@N08/6099732261/

Eagle

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31101571@N08/6099732133/

I hate to scare you, but I'm going to do it, anyway. Flea markets are great places to pick up fake coins. Nothing about the Morgan is screaming "fake" to me, but if someone said they bought a $2½ Indian at a flea market, I'd give it a 90% chance of being fake without even seeing it. My advice would be to curtail flea market coin buys and look to reputable dealers at shows or people with good reputations listing stuff in the Marketplace forum.

That thought had crossed my mind.

I checked it as best i could with my limited knowledge.

It makes the expected silver "ring" when struck, so i am pretty sure it is the right metal.

Also, it is a VERY common year and nothing i have been able to see on it yet looks out of place. I dont have a scale yet so i cant weigh it.

Anyone see anything wierd with it?

That thought had crossed my mind.

I checked it as best i could with my limited knowledge.

It makes the expected silver "ring" when struck, so i am pretty sure it is the right metal.

Also, it is a VERY common year and nothing i have been able to see on it yet looks out of place. I dont have a scale yet so i cant weigh it.

Anyone see anything wierd with it?

I checked your link, and I can tell you right off the bat that it is fake! They never made a Morgan with an indian on the reverse.

Chris :devil:

Welcome to the forume HarryRod. And welcome to the exciting world of US coins. Enjoy the hobby and like the others have already said....Be careful out there, you can get burned.....Joe

Welcome, Harry.

If you want to look the part of a season coin collector/ dealer, slick your hair back (if you have any), wear loose-fitting 1970's vintage clothes, smell like cigarette smoke and bourbon, and carry a good loupe with you at all times. It helps if you wear glasses, too.

If you want to be hated by dealers, always quote Blue Sheet prices when looking at prime material dealers have to offer. When someone makes you an offer on a coin you have for sale, say, "One sold for twice that much on Teletrade last week!"

It helps to have a sense of humor on the coin forums, also. We've lost a number of new collectors over at the other side of the street when so-called "experts" with lots of post counts (and possibly little knowledge) piled on new members and made malicious comments about them.

If you keep reading good books and learning how to grade, you'll do fine. If you really want to dive in deep, read about the history behind the coins you collect. What would the coin have bought when used in daily commerce? Why were there so may (or so few) made that year? What was going on in the country at the time?

Even if you're only interested in US coins right now, it wouldn't hurt to by a Krause world coin guide as a reference. Start with the 20th century and work your way back. (thumbs u

We've lost a number of new collectors over at the other side of the street when so-called "experts" with lots of post counts (and possibly little knowledge) piled on new members and made malicious comments about them.

Yup, lotsa newbies to the forums get talked down on the forums. I had to deal with the same thing in threads like this-

So don't let them talk you down, and if they accuse you of things, talk back and assert yourself, and move forward.

We've lost a number of new collectors over at the other side of the street when so-called "experts" with lots of post counts (and possibly little knowledge) piled on new members and made malicious comments about them.

Yup, lotsa newbies to the forums get talked down on the forums. I had to deal with the same thing in threads like this-

So don't let them talk you down, and if they accuse you of things, talk back and assert yourself, and move forward.

Indeed. Just make sure you stay open to learning new things before you assert yourself! There are some bona fide experts in a number of areas who visit this forum, and I'd be careful about getting into a dispute with them unless I could document my references to prove my point. :foryou: