• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charleston Coin Show report

20 posts in this topic

Time for the semi-annual Charleston Coin Show. I took my sister again this year, like I do every time. She was on the hunt for VF-EF Mercury dimes for her Whitman Thumbbuster, and was quite successful. She found four dimes with that nice, dark, even, grey circulated look that I love so much (and have thusly trained her to appreciate). She is coming along well as a YN. Its gotten to the point now where she will interact with the dealers, make bargains, and select her own coins. At each table, she would pick out three or four, and we would talk about them and I would show her how to look for cleaning, or scratches, or how to rotate it under the light to get a better appreciation for the coin. Going to this show is usually much more about having a good time with my sister than it is about serious coin buying for myself.

The show was much smaller this year than previous shows. Last year, there were at least 40 dealers, whereas this year there were about 30. I don't know if more might set up on Saturday, this is the first time I've gone on Friday. Again, because I went on Friday, the attendance was quite sparse. I went early in the afternoon, and there were maybe a handful of shoppers, the aisles were bare. Morgans were everywhere, but early US type was scarce, especially in original, uncleaned, condition higher than VG. There was some gold, and actually one dealer had quite a display of Southern Gold. Slabs were scarce, most coins were raw. However, I did see quite a few more ICG slabs than normal. Last year, ICG was actually at the show, but I didn't see them there this year.

I was able to find two coins to add to my collection. The first was a BTW commem, in an old fatty graded 65. I picked it up because I saw some neat toning on the obverse, and then I flipped it over and an involuntary WOW escaped. Not what I was expecting! Anyways, when the dealer said it was only $50, I quickly said "Mine!".

The next coin was an 1832 half. Now, I've already got a couple of these, including a stunning AU Large Letters that I just picked up off James, but the price and grade were right on this beauty. Its raw, so lets play a little Guess the Grade and Overton!

IMG_8395.jpg

IMG_8388.jpg

IMG_8363.jpg

IMG_8370.jpg

Nice finds! Also, nice that you are patient with your sister.

Both coins are attractive pieces, especially the VF half. As to the BTW - well, it's such an ugly design that no amount of toning will help much.

The cbh looks very nice, I'd guess VF for sure. But the tiny marks on the obverse may get it a details holder just as the one I had sent in so far that had less than yours show here. Mine came back as Cleaned. (see link below)

Either way it is still a great looking CBH.

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/CertResults.aspx?CertNumber=4069473-003

Hard to guess on the CBH grade but I'd say AU50....the obverse seems dark so it's difficult but I used the rubbed areas I can see toward my guess. The reverse looks nicer with the color and all.

Overton: I don't have a clue....However, I just got the Peterson book from the ANA today so I'll give it a shot later!

jom

Thats a real beauty bustie

My first though was xf 40/45 . Great toning aswell .

Another nice pickup

Now who's getting the good ones ,before whom :baiting:

Nice bustie! I'd put it at an XF myself, though that toning on the reverse looks very nice. Congrats!

Thanks for the comments. The wear on the Bust half makes me think 40+, but there is enough luster for a 50. I really bought it for the toning, and don't think I got a bad deal at all for $190.

I made it to this show as well, but Saturday morning. It wasn't very busy that day either, but maybe a couple dozen shoppers. I took my family mostly to spend time with them for the weekend.

My daughter learned who Susan B. Anthony was and that Hamilton wasn't a president. She also picked up a 1985 Canadian Silver $1 Moose. She has a fetish for moose.

All I picked up was a Hawaii $1 and $10 and the North Africa $1 and $5 but mostly enjoyed talking to the dealers and the family learned some things as well. It is the first time they have gone with me to coin shop.

Afterwards we headed over to the U.S.S. Yorktown and finished off a nice Saturday. Here's a picture of the Charleston bridge from the deck of the aircraft carrier and then my daughter and behind her my wife.

CharlsetonBridge.jpgBailey.jpg

It was a last minute decision to go after a very long week at work but that would have been cool. Maybe next time.

Sounds like a nice relaxing coin show visit. All that green on the BTW, that's characteristic of the old Fatty's, isn't it? That Walker I bought from you has a little bit on the rims.

The CBH looks really nice. Obv looks 40ish to me, Rev about 50. Great find!

Sounds like a nice relaxing coin show visit. All that green on the BTW, that's characteristic of the old Fatty's, isn't it? That Walker I bought from you has a little bit on the rims.

The CBH looks really nice. Obv looks 40ish to me, Rev about 50. Great find!

I don't believe the fatty's are generally recognized to cause toning. Old small white ANACS slabs do, but I've never heard anyone say that about the fatty's. The green on both these coins is because I recognize that green toning, especially this shade, is quite unusual. I tend to scoop up coins with nice green toning if I see them (same with electric blue).