• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now I don't know what to do? Should I, or not?

51 posts in this topic

I have recently received an offer on my collection of Buffalo Nickels. I've never even considered selling them but this offer is way more than I would dreamed. So now what do I do? This is really tough for me. If I don't take this offer some members of my family will think I'm nuts, but they don't collect and have zero interest in my coins, won't even look at em, mainly my wife. :makepoint:

How does a guy figure this ?

Couple questions come to mind.

Is your current collection the best you could have put together?

and

Can you do it again?

I guess the third is, and I think since you posed this question there is something behind it, Can the funds generated be put to use for something else that might be beneficial to the family, and not necessarily in a materialistic way?

Just my thoughts.

Nick

Couple questions come to mind.

Is your current collection the best you could have put together?

and

Can you do it again?

I guess the third is, and I think since you posed this question there is something behind it, Can the funds generated be put to use for something else that might be beneficial to the family, and not necessarily in a materialistic way?

Just my thoughts.

Nick

It would take a long time to put it together the way I did this time. I much more educated on the series and this would make the task easier but the coins are getting MUCH harder to locate. The money is not a factor, by that I mean I don't really need the money. BUT, and a REALLY BIG but is my wife would have all kinds of ideas on how I should spend this extra money. This will be a problem if ya know what I mean.....These are the reasons I would not want to sell. Along with that I think if I did sell them I may not start again. I don't know if I would just not want to start over again?

If you don't really need the money, then why sell?

You stated that the offer was more than you could have expected, but if you factor in the countless hours it took for you to build this set, you might find that the offer is only mediocre.

Just tell your wife that if you sold it, you wouldn't have anything better to do than bug her day and night.

Chris

Sell the coins when the last can of beans are gone from your cupboard Joe. :)

I hope you didn't tell the wife how much was offered............did ya?

I know it sounds like a stupid question. I was hoping someone will chime in that has sold his/her collection and tell me how that felt? I know for sure it's a great offer and I'm not sure how hard it would be to sell it if I tried. I do know I would have a void in my gut if I did and I hate that feeling so I probably won't. But I keep flip flopping in my little peanut brain.....

All things considered, which would you rather have, the coins or the money? It is a personal decision, in which your heart and money are competing.

I don't have any advice for you, I'm too new to collecting to have received any such offers or even consider it, so this is going to be an interesting thread to read.

But my question is, can you link me to your set? I'd love to see the set being discussed.

Thanks.

All things considered, which would you rather have, the coins or the money? It is a personal decision, in which your heart and money are competing.

The coins....I'm done. It's a pretty set and I enjoy the coins more than the money. But I'll tell ya this. I have never even thought about selling till this offer came along. I don't know how I would like the fact I sold my coins. I think it would tough for a while. I guess I'm more attached to them than I thought possible.

I've seen the Buffalo nickels you've been posting and I have to say they are quite a sight and buffalo's aren't my coin of choice. You've built a VERY nice set and can take pride in the accomplishment of building something so nice, while the money might be nice I think you would always have sellers remorse unless what you buy with it will bring you more enjoyment. I know this probably just adds to your flip flopping but just wanted to let you know that I appreciate the set you've put togather.

I don't have any advice for you, I'm too new to collecting to have received any such offers or even consider it, so this is going to be an interesting thread to read.

But my question is, can you link me to your set? I'd love to see the set being discussed.

Thanks.

At this point I really can't. I had a forum member make a coin album for me via imaging but my computer crashed and I lost them. Maybe at a later date....Maybe Jim is reading this and can help me out by sending me them again, but I know he is also having some problems with his computer.

The coins....I'm done. It's a pretty set and I enjoy the coins more than the money. But I'll tell ya this. I have never even thought about selling till this offer came along. I don't know how I would like the fact I sold my coins. I think it would tough for a while. I guess I'm more attached to them than I thought possible.

Since you hadn't even considered the possibility of selling, why not allow yourself some time to think it over?

You can tell the offeror your dilemma and that you will let him know either way, once you have reached a decision. :)

if you dont need the monty

then

keep the coins as they will only get better

reward the wife with a trip to red lobster

Before I met my first wife, I had already been playing pool for more than 10 years. When we were just dating, she used to go to the poolroom with me and I would give her some of my winnings to buy whatever she wanted. After we were married, she wanted me to give up pool. It took me a little while to get over it, but I finally realized that I didn't miss her at all.

Chris

Since you hadn't even considered the possibility of selling, why not allow yourself some time to think it over?

You can tell the offeror your dilemma and that you will let him know either way, once you have reached a decision. :)

Mark, you know as well as I the "nice" coins are getting harder to find. Then when you do find a nice one, I mean just the right one the prices are up there. Now finding "just the right one" is also much harder than just five years ago. Five years ago I had much better luck then recently, say the last couple of years. Now I'll say the economy has helped some coins come lose, but in general not. At least where I've been looking not so good here lately....

Take the money and run!

Just that easy, eh?

If the offer is more than you ever dreamed, you bet! If you assembled your collection before you can do it again. This time with a lot more money.

I still have sellers remorse from selling my Proof Buffalo collection. Your MS set is fabulous and knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't sell. But then you may never have this kind of an offer on the table. Tough decision for sure.

Here are your Buffs.

d3f5fba1.jpg

eb546aa1.jpg

0a307ec6.jpg

43627118.jpg

I still have sellers remorse from selling my Proof Buffalo collection. Your MS set is fabulous and knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't sell. But then you may never have this kind of an offer on the table. Tough decision for sure.

Yes, but you now have those beautiful matte proof cents!

:applause: I think you are making the right decision. If you needed the money, it would be a different story.

Some from the set. Robeck had the most beautiful proof Buffs I've ever seen in my life! Now he has the most beautiful matte Lincolns I've ever seen.....

028-6.jpg

049-1.jpg

054-4.jpg

020-5.jpg

025-4.jpg

058-2.jpg

061-3.jpg

038-1.jpg

040-2.jpg

043-3.jpg

044-4.jpg

I would not sell at this point, unless you really NEED the money, which you said that you don't. The value is ONLY GOING TO GO UP!

Besides, you are technically not done yet (although close). I would continue building and doing what you love.

Besides, it would be MUCH MORE foolish to sell your set and then waste the money on something intangible. I would hold onto it, esp. since you don't NEED to sell. That's MHO.

Your set is first rate, btw!

Well I think this is basically a personal decision that only you can make. Even if someone else were to have been in your shoes, your situation would always be different from someone else's. If it were my decision and I didn't need the money, I wouldn't sell. But that's me.

Yes, but you now have those beautiful matte proof cents!

Thanks Carl. It definitely eases the pain.

Those are some beautiful Buffs Joe . I always enjoy looking at them when you post .

Personally I wouldn't sell them .

But if you needed some money you could always sell me some of your Busties :whee:

Tough call. Like Mark noted, it's your heart and your checkbook.

Also: Is this offer well above market value or did you not realize the full value of your collection?

Those are some beautiful Buffs Joe . I always enjoy looking at them when you post .

But if you needed some money you could always sell me some of your Busties :whee:

I sold my last one, sorry. I don't need any stinkin money. I keep my Buffs and stay in the game....

OOPS