• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of the most beautiful coins I own is also the hardest one to image...

28 posts in this topic

I've owned this coin for a few months and have been trying to image this piece in it's true light, to pickup the colors and at the same time show the beautiful bold strike since I've owned it. This is tough as the coin is set in the holder deep and crooked. So I have to put a match book cover on one side as to level the coin out but this does not help the fact the coin is set deep in the hole of the holder and is very hard to get the light coverage I need. It is a hard task to say the least. So when I'm in just the right mood I give it a try till my back starts to hurt then I stop. Yesterday I went out and bought light # 4 so as to get the light coverage I need hoping this will help a bit. I believe this is one of the most beautiful 1921 buffs around at least the prettiest one I've ever seen and it's worth the time spent.

So this is the best I can do and is with out question the toughest business strike I've ever imaged. The colors are neon and swirl around the coin in such a manner I never ever get tired of looking at it. Thanks for looking....Joe

039-3.jpg

043-1.jpg

035-1.jpg

036-1.jpg

Been there. :)

When my best efforts have failed, on to Mark Goodman they go. :)

I also have used Mike Printz when he was at Larry Whitlow. Hey Mike. :)

My next group is going to Doug Plasencia to see what he can do.

Enjoy :)

Been there. :)

When my best efforts have failed, on to Mark Goodman they go. :)

I also have used Mike Printz when he was at Larry Whitlow. Hey Mike. :)

My next group is going to Doug Plasencia to see what he can do.

Enjoy :)

I love to image just about as much as I love to collect beautiful Buffs. So sending it off for someone else to image is like giving up and I'm not a quitter so I'll just keep at it. I never knew I would enjoy imaging coins as much as I do. In fact it's to the point now that I'm not even sure if I like a coin till I image it, I have a really good idea I like it, but until I image it and see the finer details the coin has to offer I'm just not so sure. At any rate if you have never tried your hand at imaging the coins you love so much I think your really missing out on one of the best parts of collecting. At least I think so.....Joe

Not sure what it looks like in-hand there Joe but if the pics represent it pretty good, that's a very nice Buffalo!!

Incredible work Joe! I'm really looking forward to seeing your work on that CBH!

I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the comment.....

I love to image just about as much as I love to collect beautiful Buffs. So sending it off for someone else to image is like giving up and I'm not a quitter so I'll just keep at it. I never knew I would enjoy imaging coins as much as I do. In fact it's to the point now that I'm not even sure if I like a coin till I image it, I have a really good idea I like it, but until I image it and see the finer details the coin has to offer I'm just not so sure. At any rate if you have never tried your hand at imaging the coins you love so much I think your really missing out on one of the best parts of collecting. At least I think so.....Joe

Hey Joe. You do an outstanding job. I was very much like you and have spent $1,000's on imaging equipment to get "The Perfect" image. There is no such thing. I found, like collecting grades in a slab, this starts to take away from what this great hobby is all about, the coin. Not saying this is you, but it happens.

Wow Joe!!! That is a MONSTER. It's possible that your white balance may be off somewhat, but I think you did a super job imaging. I don't think you will find many Buffalos as nice as that, let alone find any 1921's.

I love the colors

whats going on in the obverse field below the third feather?

It's clashing. This is the clashing that is responsible for the two feather variety as they would polish off this lump & at the same time polish off the third feather, thus the two feather variety was born.....

Is this color balance better?

junk0023.jpg

junk0024.jpg

You did a great job editing this coin! I had just bought a new light and yes my white balance was off a tad. I have been moving my lights around a bit trying to pick up the colors on this crooked deeply set coin "in the holder" and probably makes the white balance look worse than it really was, and it's a tough coin to image. You'll have to get up early in the morning and search the world over several times to find a 21 Buff this nice. I ran across this coin at the Santa Clara coin show in November of last year. I couldn't even come close to finding one nicer so I purchased the coin in April of this year and was surprised it was still available. Thanks to all for your comments, it is appreciated.....

Never hurts to keep playing Joe!! Put it down and come back to it. I am sure you will have some dynamite shots of it soon.

Playing? Man, this is serious business!! :makepoint:lol... How about this one.....

002-6.jpg

027-6.jpg

Never hurts to keep playing Joe!! Put it down and come back to it. I am sure you will have some dynamite shots of it soon.

Playing? Man, this is serious business!! :makepoint:lol... How about this one.....

To me it is too "blue". Look at the white of the slab...it has a blueish cast..at least on my monitor. (shrug)

Does your camera have a White Balance setting? If so and if it's like mine, there is a setting in there (forgot what they call it) that allows you to take a "test" shot and use that reference for all of the photos you take. Be sure to have the light you use on for a time before you set the reference so they can warm up. I redo the reference each day I take photos...

jom

002-6.jpg

027-6.jpg

043-1-1.jpg (thumbs u

002-6.jpg

027-6.jpg

043-1-1.jpg (thumbs u

I don't know how you did this but your editing looks more like my coin than my images do. Thanks for your time and interest....Joe