• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you cross post?

do you cross post?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. do you cross post?

26 posts in this topic

I do not threat-en anyone, well sometimes, but I do post on several coin forums. Cross posting sounds terrible so I won't label myself as such.

Jim

Too many people read both forums and I don't want to annoy them with duplicate material. I choose which forum I think is the best venue for my thread and only post it once. Rare exceptions may exist.

I picked Yes even though I don't have an account at any other coin boards. I would if I was for the simple fact that there are many folks that stick to one message board.

Yes, I'll post the same things on both forums now and then.

That sad part is, there is less action over here. I wish that was not true.

When I posted my story about the 1848 CAL $2.50 gold piece, it generated limited interest here. ATS I got many questions and comments.

Should I have not posted that story here and only posted it across the street? I don't think so. There are people here who don't go across ATS by choice, or because they have been banned. It's like a story in magazine. If you don't care for it or have read it, you can turn the page. Otherwise duplicate stories really don't hurt anyone.

I submitted no because it's not a habit. The only time I repost to another forum is when I usually have something to sell and need to get it out to others that don't venture out.

Sure, why not?!

Me, too.

Although I rarely start threads, if I felt one to be pertinent to both audiences, I'd post to both.

As for protocol for doing this, don't announce the fact that you're cross-posting in the post itself, as it is a waste of keystrokes. If anyone is for some reason annoyed by cross-posting, announcing that you're doing it will just make it worse. Everyone else won't care (or know) that you're cross-posting. If you feel guilty for cross-posting, don't do it.

There was someone on a listserv I used to subscribe to that would start every post with "A cross-post." I was thinking of starting all of mine with "Dates are delicious," but not enough people would have understood the point.

Sure, why not?!

Me, too.

There was someone on a listserv I used to subscribe to that would start every post with "A cross-post." I was thinking of starting all of mine with "Dates are delicious," but not enough people would have understood the point.

It was considered the polite thing to do on Listserv and/or a BBS. This dates back to the days when users paid a data download fee. If one saw that a question/response had already been posted to another board then the user didn't need to pull it down again.

As for the OP--I seldom cross-post, but I have been known to.

I almost never start threads, and I'm banned ATS, but I do cross answer on other forums when the same question is cross posted to them.

I TOTALLY respect those of us who post here AND on CU but my allegiance lies primarily with NGC. I am amazed at the banning stories that I've hear, thus far, which makes CU ATS even LESS attractive to me. I don't have an account over there, so I have never posted. I have gone over there and read their threads, though, many times. Sometimes, there is new stuff that I've never seen before that I find VERY interesting. I don't care for their arrogant and conformist attitude. People are getting booted left and right, which seems crazy to me. I've, also, never liked their non-recognition and non-permissive attitude toward NGC and not allowing them to compete in their Registry. That limits the pool of good coins WAY to much for me. That's the reasons for me feeling this way. I like to go over there and read about Walkers, of course. Nobody over here ever seems to post much about my favorite coin subject, other than Supertooth, with whom I am quite glad to have become friends with.

I don't post the same thing in two places. I usually ask myself which audience is more appropriate.

I don't have the distaste for ATS that many folks here seem to have. Sure, there's some drama occasionally. And differences in opinion. But there's a ton of knowledge over there, and a very active board. The autocrat rule is disappointing, I admit.

This is the kinder, gentler of the two. It's often downright sleepy, though. I'm amazed by the number of views some threads get and yet only a few collectors speak up. Odd.

Lance.

I only post here at NGC. I have been ATS several times just to see their action. I find them difficult to read with all of their ads and banners. The reason I selected NGC is:

A. They support and recognize GSA's in original holders

B. When all is said and done, this is the friendly side of the street. I share my thoughts, knowledge and collection with those I trust (and call friends). And from what has been said, this is certainly the place I want to be.

Chet