• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two months for grading. Normal? ANSWER REC'D!

31 posts in this topic

Has anyone else experienced this? NGC received my coin for grading more than two months ago and it is still pending?

Lance.

bcc8822c.png

I sent two separate submissions to NGC in November of last year. They were both done within the estimated time on the NGC website. As bad as I am about grades, I would have called them the day after the days listed.

What service did you use?

I have one submission that has been sitting there since 3/7/11.

I used the economy tier which is 25 day turnaround time.

That seems to be a long time Lance. I'd give them a call Monday or just hop in one of your little racers and make a road trip out of it. I'll take shotgun. :headbang:

What service did you use?

I have one submission that has been sitting there since 3/7/11.

I used the economy tier which is 25 day turnaround time.

I used the economy service. 25 business days is 5 weeks or so. It's been eight. I guess I'll poke them next week.

I don't like the coin so maybe I'll get lucky and find it was lost. I wonder how NGC handles that?

If I don't like the coin why am I having it graded? Long story I promise to tell once NGC finishes up.

Lance.

That seems to be a long time Lance. I'd give them a call Monday or just hop in one of your little racers and make a road trip out of it. I'll take shotgun. :headbang:
lol. That'd be one heck of a trip from CA even with a vehicle that has 2 lbs/hp. :insane:

Lance.

I used the economy service. 25 business days is 5 weeks or so. It's been eight. I guess I'll poke them next week.

Maybe submitting a coin with a value of $1,000 under a tier that allows for a maximum value of $300 has something to do with the slow turnaround time?

Maybe submitting a coin with a value of $1,000 under a tier that allows for a maximum value of $300 has something to do with the slow turnaround time?

Hmm...I didn't check the paperwork and guessed that I chose a slow boat. I'm reasonably sure I followed the rules. But nevertheless...if there's a problem with a submission ATS you're alerted right away. It's just wrong to sit on it, wouldn't you agree?

Lance.

If you submitted under economy it also has a 5 coin minimum and has $300 max value per coin.

The invoice # looks weird are you sure you didn't submit it to NCS.

111177.jpg.bfdedb441f0fe29230a8e189c704ff92.jpg

If you submitted under economy it also has a 5 coin minimum and has $300 max value per coin.

The invoice # looks weird are you sure you didn't submit it to NCS.

The coin should have been submitted as 'early bird'.

NCS usually takes right around 3 weeks round trip. If they got the coin by accident, I'm sure they wold have sent him an e mail asking what's up with this order.

I'm guessing NGC is sitting on the coin waiting to hear from him wondering if he is going to submit 4 more coins or whatever.

Lance, did you ever call or find out what the hold-up is/was?

I've got eight groups submitted (totalling nearly fifty pieces), starting on the 17th of last month. One group has been annotated "quality control" for over a week, the others are either received or scheduled for grading. I'm pretty new at this game, but the recent turnarounds seem to be moving somewhat slower than my first two - each graded and shipped within about 15 days. Wonder what's up.......

Anyone else noticing slower-than-normal response?

Mark

I got busy at work today and by the time I remembered it was too late. I'll try calling tomorrow.

I just checked my paperwork and I paid for Early Bird $30 grading. That's supposed to be 12 working days.

Lance.

Emailed last night and followed up this morning with a phone call. A nice woman at NGC promised to look into it and call me back.

I expect I'll hear soon.

Lance.

NGC wrote to me today to say the order would be finished soon. That's the good news. And here's the bad:

This coin has now stumped the best graders at both PCGS and NGC. No, really. Neither company can say whether it is real or fake!

PCGS returned it after six weeks with a "no decision/refund" finding.

NGC took 2 months to say "authenticity unverifiable".

Should I try ANACS next? lol.

If you care to read the details about this 1909-S VDB "maybe" cent here's a thread with pictures and opinions.

Me, I'm just going to stick it in an AU album I built and let my heirs have fun with it.

Lance.

NGC wrote to me today to say the order would be finished soon. That's the good news. And here's the bad:

This coin has now stumped the best graders at both PCGS and NGC. No, really. Neither company can say whether it is real or fake!

If you care to read the details about this 1909-S VDB "maybe" cent here's a thread with pictures and opinions.

Whoa, that changes things... a lot! I can understand why the coin has been in so long, as I'm sure they spent some time getting accurate photos and recording die diagnostics.

Personally, I think your coin looks like a remarkably good fake. I'm going on gut feel here (and a little bad experience), as the reverse looks good, perfect in fact. However, I do not like the shape of that mintmark on the obverse. It's close to how it should look, and even tilted about right for one of the genuine positions, but something about the shape doesn't seem right to me.

If I were you, send the coin to SEGS, and request that Larry Briggs look at it PERSONALLY. You will get your definitive answer there.

Why is it so unverifiable? I thought there were pretty clear markers for these? So can they never verify a circulated 09-S VDB?

I suspect the problem with this particular piece is that there are numerous tiny marks all over it, many of which could have eradicated specific PUPs for a genuine coin. As mentioned in my previous post, the mintmark doesn't look quite right, but it's quite possible (common in fact) for a genuine, circulated coin to take a hit on the mintmark, skewing it in such a way as to make it look "wrong", when in fact the coin is fine.

Just a guess... but 99.9% of the time, it's possible to confirm a genuine 1909-S VDB.

Just thought I would add that today when I called about one of my Early Birds I was informed that they are at 18 days for a turnaround. Must mean good things for NGC!

Me, I'm just going to stick it in an AU album I built and let my heirs have fun with it.

Lance.

That's a first for me! I thought pcgs & ngc knew about coins? Hmmmmmm?

Whoa, that changes things... a lot! I can understand why the coin has been in so long, as I'm sure they spent some time getting accurate photos and recording die diagnostics.

Personally, I think your coin looks like a remarkably good fake. I'm going on gut feel here (and a little bad experience), as the reverse looks good, perfect in fact. However, I do not like the shape of that mintmark on the obverse. It's close to how it should look, and even tilted about right for one of the genuine positions, but something about the shape doesn't seem right to me.

If I were you, send the coin to SEGS, and request that Larry Briggs look at it PERSONALLY. You will get your definitive answer there.

I don't excuse the delay in processing this coin because it was difficult. Really, how long do you have to think it over? It's not like NGC and PCGS haven't seen thousands of them.

You know that old joke about the guy who finds a two year old laundry ticket, takes it to the cleaners, and the clerk says it will be ready Tuesday? That's kind of how I felt after my phone call.

The coin is either a remarkably good fake or a diagnostic-impaired genuine. That is the obvious message from PCGS and NGC. Neither company likes to shrug and say, "Beats me".

Lots of other experts have looked at it and expressed an opinion. Larry Briggs' opinion would be worthy and near the top of the pile.

But honestly, the prime reason for slabbing a circulated 1909-S VDB is to establish authenticity. And the marketplace most readily accepts PCGS, NGC, and ANACS. It either needs to be in one of these holders or it will be forever suspect. A note from an expert that the coin is genuine is some comfort but with little bank-ability.

Lance.

While Larry Briggs is a worthy source to gain another opinion , if the coin has been subjected to a panel review, I don't think there is a chance he will conclude it to be genuine either.

Lance.

Ya know, I just can't get over this! I have a hard time understanding how a coin, such as the 1909-S VDB can not be verifiable? It's one of this countries most popular Lincoln cents, if not the most popular. I guess neither one of these top grading companies want to stick there neck out to far, eh? That's a sad state of affairs if ya ask me, I'm sorry to hear this Lance.....Joe

Do we have a photo of the coin here anyplace ? I'd sure like to see what you have submitted that was determined unverifiable .
Sure! Click the link I cited above. There are huge images and it's a fun read.

Lance.