• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin post ats

28 posts in this topic

Tradedollarnut posted ats with photos of 4 of his type coins and they are unimagineably gorgeous. This is a must see, in my opinion. I didn't even know such coins existed. Especially, the 1793 Chain Cent. Trust me, you will want to view these coins if you have not already seen them.

Jim

TDN's coin post ats

I guess we're chopped liver here.

He does sound like he's partial to holders from ATS.

I have never seen the NGC BN coin. However, I would state unequivocably that the Mickley specimen is worth quite a bit more. Factors that go into that statement are the Ameri variety is rarer, the specimen status is evident, the brand of plastic is correct ...

I have never seen the NGC BN coin. However, I would state unequivocably that the Mickley specimen is worth quite a bit more. Factors that go into that statement are the Ameri variety is rarer, the specimen status is evident, the brand of plastic is correct ...

The brand of plastic is correct. lol Coming from the same guy who would post that the plastic doesn't matter on these level type coins. I mean, he'd say that if the coin were in NGC plastic and he owned it. (shrug)

NGC is much quicker to give the higher grades on early coinage and that's a fact. Doesn't mean they're wrong... just means that if you have two coins that you haven't seen in hand together they're unlikely to be 2 full grades apart at PCGS65 and NGC67.

Not speaking in absolutes, just percentages and likelyhood.

As far as being partial to PCGS holders - ABSOLUTELY. I have often stated that I believe the plastic is thinner and clearer and lets through more of the flash of the coin.

The brand of plastic is correct. lol Coming from the same guy who would post that the plastic doesn't matter on these level type coins. I mean, he'd say that if the coin were in NGC plastic and he owned it. (shrug)

When comparing S-2 large cents [or S-3 or whatever the NGC67 is], then I would agree that if the 67 is head and shoulders above the other examples then it just doesn't matter what the plastic brand is .. the coin speaks for itself. When comparing two coins of different but similar species that one hasn't seen ... then one plays the odds. Odds are the 67 has been tried multiple times for crossover. Odds are the 67 grade was a bit easier to get at NGC. Odds are, the specimen coin is more desirable. etc, etc

If I could afford coins of that caliber, it wouldn't matter to me which slab it was in. I don't care whose plastic they are in......so long as the pedigree/provenance is spot on, the coins sell themselves, regardless of whose plastic they are in. But, that's just my opinon...the opinion of someone who will likely NEVER be able to afford such pieces of history.

Odds are, the specimen coin is more desirable. etc, etc

PCGS appears to have called this MS and not SP. At least that is what shows on the cert verification.

PCGS appears to have called this MS and not SP. At least that is what shows on the cert verification.

That is an error of some type, on the part of PCGS, as I have seen a picture of the coin in the holder, along with the "SP" designation.

That is an error of some type, on the part of PCGS, as I have seen a picture of the coin in the holder, along with the "SP" designation.

I hope you're not referring to this fake picture:

1793_micly_chain_cent.jpg

Hey Mark.. Educate us on why the 1853 Arrows and Rays Half coin only nets a grade of MS 65.. As a collector I know you "can't" always see the hidden flaws due to a photo, but my God man, that coin is smokin and should be a 65+ or higher.

Disclaimer...I am only a collector, so don't shoot me in the foot if my question to Mark was silly.. :)

I personally thought the half would 65+. There's some light lines in the left obverse field that are lost in all the die polish striations ... perhaps it's the off golden color that didn't impress them.

I didn't read the thread ATS, but just looked at the photo. Haven't we seen that particular chain cent before?? Seems like I can't quite put a finger on it, but that the, or a, previous owner used to have that along with a really nice 1793 liberty cap....

Edited to add: MICKLEY! That's it!

I like both PCGS and NGC and its safe to say that both grading companies have made mistakes in the past and currently still. I don't think one is better than the other.

Definitely not a die crack, I can't tell though if it is a planchet flaw or a scratch. I'm leaning toward a planchet flaw.

Definitely not a die crack, I can't tell though if it is a planchet flaw or a scratch. I'm leaning toward a planchet flaw.

Agree. Looks like a planchet crack. A die crack would show raised metal and a scratch would be straighter and smoother. Better pics would help. Of course, an in-hand examination would be best to make a final determination.

Whats happening on the rim at the end of that flaw or is that mearly coincidental?

19741374-Cutout-01B.jpg

Judging from the PCGS Trueview, the strike is phenomenal on this piece.

PCGS Trueview Large

But the color seems tweeked for a BN piece making it appear mre RB than BN. Perhaps that tweeking had changed the appearance of the planchet flaw?