• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Camera

44 posts in this topic

Any recommendations for a digital camera to take pictures of coins for auctions? I'd like to get close ups & enlarge the picture.

I have one now, but can't get the closeups like I'd like.

I tried scanning, but the color doesn't look natural.

I'd like a nice camera, but reasonably priced. Any help appreciated

It depends on how much you would like to spend. You can get a decent DSLR camera for under 500$. What you really need is a macro lens (or use the macro setting on a point and shoot variety). I am partial to Nikon since that's what I started with and have multiple lenses for. The D40x and the D3000 are decent choices if you go with the DSLR and then you have multiple options for other pictures. If you just want a camera for general use (point and shoot) there are many options, just look for one with macro mode.

I use a Canon Powershot SX100IS. My model is about 3 years old, I think they have newer models. But it was reasonably prices in the $300 range. It will take excellent pictures with a little work and a little practice (obviously, not the professional looking pics that an expensive camera will do, but they will certainly be more than sufficient for what you need).

Here is an example:

1306373_Full_Obv.jpg

1306373_Full_Rev.jpg

Taking good images of coins is a lot tougher for most folks than it may appear at first glance. I use a six-year old Nikon D70 with 105mm lens.

I use a Canon S3 IS Power shot. It's a bout 3-4 yrs old also but I still like the super-macro mode which this thing will focus an object even touching the lens.

2008WSAENGCMS70.jpg

It doesn't matter which camera I get or how much it costs I still can't take good photo's of my coins.

My uncle has over $3k in his camera and he let me use it for a few hours and I still

could get my coins to look like they did in hand. I am also trying to take photo's of proof coins.

From what I know of photography, a lot of what goes into a good picture is how the subject is lit. I have some experimenting to do as I haven't taken many shots of coins yet, but I'm betting that if you can get the correct lighting of the object you will be pleased with the results.. I know there are others here that do excellent work with coin photography so advice from them would be most welcome.

Lighting is one of the most important, if not the most important, aspects of a good image. How much distance between the lens and coin contributes to how much light the coin is getting. That is the beauty of a macro lens. It allows you to put some distance between coin/lens in order to make room for the lights well above the coin.

I have collected coins most of my life, but now I've found another hobby I love just as much....Imaging my coins!! I really enjoy this very much, and I can enjoy my coins even more. I spent some doe on my set-up it just grew & grew . I picked up a Nikon D-40, but I wasn't to happy with it, don't get me wrong it's a GREAT box! But I felt that more megapixels would be better so I bought a Nikon D3100 and I just love this box. I also bought a Sigma 150mm Macro lens and Bang, what a very nice lens this is. I have also picked up a copy stand that is just a dream to use. At any rate here are some images...

076.jpg

077.jpg

I have also picked up a copy stand that is just a dream to use. At any rate here are some images...

What copy stand do you use? I'm looking into getting one at the moment....

As to doing coin photos I HIGHLY recommend this:

Mark Goodman's book

jom

THis is my copy stand. I took and old extendable work light, took the bulb end off and attached a tripod base to it. Now I just screw my camera onto it and it will turn any way I want it to. I think the work light cost less than $10.

cameraset-up.jpg

Those are great shots of your kitchen counter. Is that custom tile? hm

jom

Why, yes, it is! I made certain to glue them down tight and then took the extra measure to pound away to make them flat. hm

In general, the images aren't very good when one introduces a magnifying glass. The reasons would include distorion around the edges of the glass and blocking of light to the coin.

Here are a couple I took tonight. I'm still have problems...they shots just seem too harsh or something.

5c-1860o_small.jpg

25c-18d_small.jpg

jom

Do any of you use a magnifying glass to shoot thru when taking a picture?

I do occasionally when I want to image a DDO, RPM, hairlines, or some other minute detail. It takes a lot of work to get it just right, but it can be done. I've posted pictures like this in various places across the internet, but don't have any handy right now.

I have also picked up a copy stand that is just a dream to use. At any rate here are some images...

What copy stand do you use? I'm looking into getting one at the moment....

As to doing coin photos I HIGHLY recommend this:

Mark Goodman's book

jom

012-2.jpg

Heavy duty!! :takeit:

And yes I have the book by Mark Goodman...Great book....

If you have no camera equipment, don't want to spend much money, and want to be up and running quickly, I'd recommend a Canon Powershot A495, a WalMart tripod, and a couple gooseneck lamps. You can get it all for about $160. I did some calculations on how usable several inexpensive point and shoot cameras are based on their specs, and this one had the best potential for coin photos. It was also the second-cheapest of the group I investigated. Some cameras in the $90-150, on the other hand I would say are unusable for this application.

For my FUN seminar on coin photography on the cheap, I used my Canon Powershot SD1200IS and got very respectable results for web presentation for large coins, small coins, toned, white, brilliant, lustrous, worn, and proof. Award winning, maybe not, but definitely respectable.

Also, all techniques you learn on a cheap camera will apply if and when you want to spend more money on higher-end camera gear. My "money" shots (apologies for pun) are always with my Nikon D80 and 105 mm macro lens, but the gooseneck lamps are the same.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this.

012-2.jpg

OK, but who makes that copy stand?

jom

It looks like a Bencher or a Beseler. Brand new the stand alone will run in excess of $200. The lights to complete the kit will run about the same. For a small camera you really don't need anything that heavy duty. BH Photo has some for under $100 that would be better suited. And as John said, 2 or 3 gooseneck lamps and you're set.

It looks like a Bencher or a Beseler. Brand new the stand alone will run in excess of $200. The lights to complete the kit will run about the same. For a small camera you really don't need anything that heavy duty. BH Photo has some for under $100 that would be better suited. And as John said, 2 or 3 gooseneck lamps and you're set.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. The lamps are easy and cheap so I don't see any need for special lights with the stand. I'll check B&H again...I think I missed some on there site when I did a search a few days ago.

More importantly, I think I might need a new camera. I'm using the ol' Coolpix 950 point and shoot. I'd like to stick with Nikon but there is SO MUCH out there I'm not sure what is best. If I go DSLR then the expense is far too much especially since some of those 100m macro lenses that run $800 or so :o

Can one of these newer Coolpix be used? I noticed than the front has a much larger lens ring in front (mine is 28mm ring). Will that make a difference in whether I can add a macro lens?

Mark Goodman suggested to me to get an add-on lens for my 950. So I got the lens (the step up ring hasn't arrived yet) but from what I can tell even with the new lens I only gain a few inches to shoot. Isn't the idea here to move the camera far enough away from the coin to get the light in there so you get better shots? I thought that was the idea anyway and what I seem to be having a LOT of trouble with.

Thanks!

jom

The images I shared on this thread were taken with the end of the lens only a few inches, at most, away from the coins and I was using a 105mm lens.