• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare, Half Dollar 1853- O, no arrows?

70 posts in this topic

Tradedollarnut. I resent the "how convenient" sarcastic remark. When I get the picture of it posted in a few days, you will see that the damage was done many, many years ago because of the wear that shows on the ridges caused by the damage. Was the damage done on purpose? maybe. If it was indeed done on purpose to make it appear as an 1853, someone much more clever than you tradedollarnut, did it. Finding the true date will answer that question, won't it? I am not trying to pull anything here. I am merely trying to find the date of this coin that has been in my family for 100 years. I suggest that your cynicism doesn't help this forum or anyone reading this forum and makes you look especially bad...enough said....

GAW, don't take TDN too personally, he is a very rich collector that has uber high end expensive coins, because of this, he believes has the right to look down on all of us. I showed a nice large cent here that he claims is a problem coin (it is not) and expounded upon the fact that 'my dealer' was a essentially quenstionable for selling me this. As if he new how I I acquired it and as if I have a 'dealer' doing all of my work for me. But hey, that is how many rich people behave, they snub their nose at us normal folks. See, guys like him don't even search and pick out their own coins, they hire a dealer to do it all for them. He uses Laura Sperber at Legend. When I went to her table at the Money Show in Houston, she looked at me in my pile jacket, said hello, and then turned her back on me. There was no interest in her asking me if I could even be interested seeing something in her case. She had made her assessment just by the look of me that I did not have the type of coin TDN has to put in her pocket. So again, these higher than thou types like TDN, just don't worry about their comments.

You have noooo clue.

In my experience, those quick to take offense and point the finger at those of a different class aren't ever going to make anything of themselves. I started out with nothing and built a good life - and never worried about who had what. So again, these lower than thou types - just don't worry about their comments.

Tradedollarnut. I resent the "how convenient" sarcastic remark. When I get the picture of it posted in a few days, you will see that the damage was done many, many years ago because of the wear that shows on the ridges caused by the damage. Was the damage done on purpose? maybe. If it was indeed done on purpose to make it appear as an 1853, someone much more clever than you tradedollarnut, did it. Finding the true date will answer that question, won't it? I am not trying to pull anything here. I am merely trying to find the date of this coin that has been in my family for 100 years. I suggest that your cynicism doesn't help this forum or anyone reading this forum and makes you look especially bad...enough said....

GAW, don't take TDN too personally, he is a very rich collector that has uber high end expensive coins, because of this, he believes has the right to look down on all of us. I showed a nice large cent here that he claims is a problem coin (it is not) and expounded upon the fact that 'my dealer' was a essentially quenstionable for selling me this. As if he new how I I acquired it and as if I have a 'dealer' doing all of my work for me. But hey, that is how many rich people behave, they snub their nose at us normal folks. See, guys like him don't even search and pick out their own coins, they hire a dealer to do it all for them. He uses Laura Sperber at Legend. When I went to her table at the Money Show in Houston, she looked at me in my pile jacket, said hello, and then turned her back on me. There was no interest in her asking me if I could even be interested seeing something in her case. She had made her assessment just by the look of me that I did not have the type of coin TDN has to put in her pocket. So again, these higher than thou types like TDN, just don't worry about their comments.

Lighten up, Francis.

Tradedollarnut. You, of all people don't tell me what I should "take" and what I shouldn't take. I know what you are but Who in the H*ll do YOU think you are?

I'll bet you put your pants on just like the rest of us. Quit looking down on others.

Now go out there and try to have a nice day.

Hey, Newb: your reaction is ridiculously out of proportion with the comment you're reacting to. I suspect you were emboldened by Hard Times' silly response as well.

Cut it out. Grow some thicker skin.

Newbsauce. Goes good with ribs.

:cloud9:

Tradedollarnut. You, of all people don't tell me what I should "take" and what I shouldn't take. I know what you are but Who in the H*ll do YOU think you are?

I'll bet you put your pants on just like the rest of us. Quit looking down on others.

Now go out there and try to have a nice day.

Yawn. Wayyyy too quick to take offense to last around here, dude. Cut the attitude and you might stick around. Like was already stated, the comment had ZERO personal insinuation.

If someone posted an 1885 trade dollar and the 5 was damaged, I'd say the same thing. How convenient that the important part of the coin is damaged. That doesn't mean the owner did it or was trying to pull something on us - it just means that the most important part of the coin is damaged... therefore one can pretty well be certain what the outcome is going to be.

I've got TWELVE 1885 Trade Dollars, but the dates have all been filed off. I know they're 1885, though, because that's the rarest and most valuable coin in the series, and therefore mine must be them.

Want any? Cheap!

;)

Lighten up, Francis.
Call me Francis again and I'll .... nevermind... don't think you were talking to me!!

Geesh.... lighten up guys.... I once sold a dime, can't remember the date, but I bought it for $5 from a guy who needed money. I bought his whole collection, but this was the only one that was really worth any money at all.

There was no date, but due to die type and what part of the date you could read, it had to be the rare variety. I told the guy who I bought it from that it was at least a $150 coin, I know... not really expensive, but that I wasn't interested in it because it was in harsh condition and that I wouldn't be willing to pay that much for that coin due to price and condition. The guy offered it to me at $5 since I was already buying the rest of the collection.

Anyhow, several years later, I sold the coin for well over $100 on ebay, same condition, and the buyer was very happy to have it.

What's this story have to do with the OP? Not sure.... it just came to mind and it seemed familiar. So, please forgive me if I seem like I'm trying to hijack the thread... I'm not.

Also, contrary to popular belief, TDN doesn't seem like a bad guy at all. We can all come off showing our short side once in a while. I believe more that his comments are aimed toward trying to lead people in the right direction of collecting. We are all here for the same reason, to increase our knowledge, and people like TDN and many others around here have a lot to impart.

Oh and... happy Valentines day to you guys! <3

PS.... My rant is over now..... rantrant

GAW - take it easy. You're contributing to derailing your own thread. As a friendly suggestion, don't respond immediately to posts that bother you. Wait a bit, and go back to it. You may have a different perspective.

Just remember - several people with no axe to grind against you are suggesting that you're overreacting.

Finally, welcome to the boards and try to enjoy yourself.

EVP

GAW - take it easy. You're contributing to derailing your own thread. As a friendly suggestion, don't respond immediately to posts that bother you. Wait a bit, and go back to it. You may have a different perspective.

Just remember - several people with no axe to grind against you are suggesting that you're overreacting.

Finally, welcome to the boards and try to enjoy yourself.

EVP

amen to that. one of the better moeves i made here :)

Pictures have been posted long ago.... do you have trouble with comprehension?

If by "long ago" you mean "after I posted", then yes, they were.

:gossip: The pictures still aren't working...

lol

You're a crackup, GAW. Don't ever change...

Pictures have been posted long ago.... do you have trouble with comprehension?

Well according to the edit date/time on your first post where you put them, long ago was about three hours ago. And you didn't post pictures, you posted a non-public link to your photobucket account which no one can access unless they have YOUR account password. So still no one has seen pictures of your coin.

Honestly, the best I can say for those photos.... is that the date area looks fishy and looks to have been altered. And therefore, I would have to say no dice.

1858orleans.jpg

I'm by far an expert on seated coinage, but I think there is enough of the 5 left to distinguish it from the 1853-O The top of the 5 is close to the first 8 and the top of that 5 resembles the one on 1858 date.