• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For fun, images of some Roosevelt dimes in a Wayte Raymond folder

16 posts in this topic

I have six collections of Roosevelt dimes in progress, each one a cascaded version of the better set in front of it. I pursue toned coins, so my #1 set has the most and best toners. By progression, my #6 set has the fewest toners, and indeed, it has many white/grey coins in it.

Here are three images of the first page of my #2 set, which I think is pretty darned nice. Nobody's ever gotten even a peep at these before now, 'cause I am a little secretive about my core sets. Dunno (shrug) why :) ! I guess my total number of beautifully toned Roosies numbers around 200, and not a single one has ever been certified. I just simply will not pay the humongous, pompous premiums that many sellers demand for certifed, toned dimes, and probably paid an average of no more than $1 for each of these. Similar certified pieces are advertised (and sold!) for $150. Such is the power of plastic!

These represent a pretty suggestive sampling of what I've accumulated. Images are under consistent lighting conditions, but the coins themselves are positioned slightly differently. The first is with the coinboard tilted a few degrees to the left, the second is a flat dead-on image, and the third is tilted a few degrees to the right. If anything, the colors are a little more vivid in-hand, but the images represent the coins fairly.

By the way, some, but not most of the coins are Wayte Raymond toners. I've transferred coins for numerous sources into the six collections over many years, as mentioned, cascading lesser coins down to the next collection. Every year or so, I dump off the orphaned coins.

Enjoy!

junk3291.jpg

junk3292.jpg

junk3293.jpg

Good looking coins! I have an album set of toners myself, but it has lots of work to be done before I would post it. You should try putting together a set of clad toned coins. There is a challenge!

I have a Wayte Raymond board for silver dollars, and I put some white BU peace dollars in there, and after a little less than a year, they are already starting to tone. Amazing that old technology!

Sweet Roosies by the way, mine are all white, hoping to stay that way, though a few of the silver proofs are starting to tone a bit over the last 10 years! A truly underappreciated series!

Those are some sweet toners :). I also am secretive about my raw album sets. Sometimes i find myself getting more enjoyment out of those then slabbed coins. Imo it is just down right fun putting together album sets.

Is that a '57 where the '48 D is supposed to go? hm

I did a doubletake, then a tripletake when I saw the resulting images. It does look like a 57, doesn't it? But no, it is a 48-D. One of the weirdest optical illusions I've ever produced.