• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I lost my dad, post a coin from 1941

32 posts in this topic

My dad passed away last Tuesday morning, so needless to say it's been a tough week. The funeral was Friday, and my mom is doing ok, but I expect to make a lot of trips home over the coming months. I used to buy really nice coins for my dad's birth year, but whenever I gave him one it would go right in his pocket, then into the garden and then about 6 months later he showed me the nice circulated coins I gave him! So I got smart and gave him a complete set of 1941 coins, all original and well circulated so he could play with them all he wanted.

Anyhow, to celebrate his life, please post a coin from 1941, as nice as you've got, since all the coins are MS-70 where he is now.

95016.jpg.295bc714ed6da80c208b5e8f4bf06797.jpg

95017.jpg.ba993bca93f01f7fabb6d970ad7d43c0.jpg

My condolences to you and your family Jeff. I'm soo sorry to hear of your loss. I don't have anything from 41 that amounts to anything but my thoughts are with ya my friend!!

Bad beak but unfortunately none of us can escape father time. Sounds like he was a great father and he was loved....that's all I want when it's my time....I want people to know I was a good father and how much I loved my kids. Your right...he's an MS70 up there and just knowing he is in a better place now might add a little comfort to an otherwise terrible loss.

I don't have any 1941 dated coins but here is one that sold on heritage:

1941PR69.jpg

Thanks guys, I must admit that after the memorial service the best I could do was feel incredibly small compared to my dad. By the world's standards, I should be the big man, with financial success, two college degrees, etc., but I got to see how many people my dad impacted in his life. The Mexicans that worked at the landscapers across the street, the guys from the streets department in town, and the countless people who came just to say what a positive impact he made on their lives. Even the mayor sent flowers! All it shows me is how screwed up my priorities have been, how much time I've wasted and how much catching up I have to do. If anything, my dad was proof that the story of "It's a wonderful life" will always be true, "Remember, George: no man is a failure who has friends." And my dad was truly a friend to every person he touched.

Thanks guys, I must admit that after the memorial service the best I could do was feel incredibly small compared to my dad. By the world's standards, I should be the big man, with financial success, two college degrees, etc., but I got to see how many people my dad impacted in his life. The Mexicans that worked at the landscapers across the street, the guys from the streets department in town, and the countless people who came just to say what a positive impact he made on their lives. Even the mayor sent flowers! All it shows me is how screwed up my priorities have been, how much time I've wasted and how much catching up I have to do. If anything, my dad was proof that the story of "It's a wonderful life" will always be true, "Remember, George: no man is a failure who has friends." And my dad was truly a friend to every person he touched.

This is one of the best posts that I have seen on these boards in quite some time.

Even after he is gone, your father is still teaching you things. Sounds like he was a great man, and I'm sure that he was - and is - proud of you.

My condolences to you and your family.

Jeff,

You have been in my thoughts every since I read your post. I truly understand your loss, as I have lost my father also. Your story touched me so much in its familiarity to my Dad. I gave him a complete uncirculated set of 1921 Dollars to include both the three Morgans and the Peace(while it was nearly 30 years ago, still an investment to me at the time). Beautifully white coins. I asked him about them several years later and he said he had buried them to give them some color. After he passed I asked my Mother about them and she said she had no idea where he had put them. To this day we have not found them. Wasn't funny at the time, but now it is a most fond memory of him and coins.

God Bless you and your family.

Jim Bowling

My condolences to you and your family for your loss. Your dad sounds a lot like mine. Still have the IHC's he pulled from circulation on his paper route in the 20's. All heavily worn but priceless to me.

Jeff, You have my condolences as well. It seems we don't know how great our folks were until they are gone. Even 5 years later I hear tales about my Dad. I suspect it will be the same for you.

I dug this out of my safe deposit box in honor of your dad. This came from a collector friend who I haven't seen for a few years.

41sdime-1.jpg

41sdime-2.jpg

My deepest condolences.