• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OH man...I'm in the dumps now.

28 posts in this topic

Hi, guys.

Just got my grade posted for the 1795 dollar I sent to PCGS for crossover in a SEGS 25 VF holder. NOT GENUINE. I'm CRUSHED!!! Anyway, this is a long ago purchase...at least 10 years or more, I probably still have the receipt somewhere...so fakes must have been around way back then.

I have no idea what I'll do with it when it comes back...considering trashing it so no one else gets burned. Maybe the ANA can use it? BUMMER! Well, there's a good message about SEGS and buying from E-Bay. But in a way I'm glad I found out now before I tried to sell it at some future date and had the new owner receive a fake.

I am starting to wonder how the other SEGS coins I sent in will fare?? Should find out in a week or so.

Oh well...there goes one of the stars of my collection...it's discouraging...but I'll get over it...I think... ????

Sorry to hear that man! At least you are dealing with it in the right way, others might try to pass it off again as genuine.

Thanks for the support, guys. I'm kinda' bummed out at the moment, but oh well...a good lesson learned. I have to remember that I still have lots of decent stuff that I have collected over the years and I am not going to let this little setback get me down!

I'll probably send SEGS a respectful letter tomorrow, letting them know what happened in the hopes that they don't make the same mistake again. It won't do any good but it will make me feel better anyway. Ya' just feel so damned stupid and violated that you put your trust in the seller, and SEGS, but as I said...the lesson is priceless. I WILL NOT make that mistake again.

Have a good evening, guys and thanks for understanding and letting me gripe here. Right now, it's really appreciated!

RI AL

Does segs have an authenticity guarenty??

If you sent it in in the segs holder they may have not cracked it.... Call them Monday am and see if it is still in the holder..

maulemall...the "coin" has been shipped back to me and should arrive Monday or Tuesday. I expect it will be in a PCGS slab but if by some miracle, they left the SEGS slab intact, I check on the authenticity thing. I'm not holding my breath, though. I think I'll just have to take my knocks on this one.

So sorry to hear of this, Al. Such a prideful coin to lose. I would try my best to recover something from SEGS if possible. You have certainly rose above the occasion and I'm proud to say I know you. As Mike said, many would pass it on to someone else. Good job.

Jim

maulemall...the "coin" has been shipped back to me and should arrive Monday or Tuesday. I expect it will be in a PCGS slab but if by some miracle, they left the SEGS slab intact, I check on the authenticity thing. I'm not holding my breath, though. I think I'll just have to take my knocks on this one.
RI AL... It aint over till it's over.. Or you let the :censored: beat you down..

This is so cliche but the squeeky wheel does get the grease...Head up RI..Head up.

Ouch! I feel for ya. I got a knot in my stomach just reading your post. I hope you get compensation from SEGS.

BTW, would you post a picture when you get it back? Just for educational purposes.

The 'coin' will NOT be in a PCGS holder. If you're lucky, it'll still be in the SEGS holder, but they may have cracked it out.

My jaw drapped when I read your post, I really can't believe it. I know how much you liked that coin, what a bummer.

Wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where people didn't make fakes and other garabage for the sole purpose of cheating others?

I got the impression that you were thinking about destroying it from one of your posts? If so, I wouldn't do that. Keep it. You enjoyed having it afterall and it'll still be nice to look at, just take steps to make sure that your inheritors don't think it's real.

Hi, guys.

Just got my grade posted for the 1795 dollar I sent to PCGS for crossover in a SEGS 25 VF holder. NOT GENUINE. I'm CRUSHED!!! Anyway, this is a long ago purchase...at least 10 years or more, I probably still have the receipt somewhere...so fakes must have been around way back then.

I have no idea what I'll do with it when it comes back...considering trashing it so no one else gets burned. Maybe the ANA can use it? BUMMER! Well, there's a good message about SEGS and buying from E-Bay. But in a way I'm glad I found out now before I tried to sell it at some future date and had the new owner receive a fake.

I am starting to wonder how the other SEGS coins I sent in will fare?? Should find out in a week or so.

Oh well...there goes one of the stars of my collection...it's discouraging...but I'll get over it...I think... ????

I have to say that this is STAGGERING news for me. I have always, and still do, put SEGS authentication ahead of that of PCGS!!!!!. There is simply NO ONE at PCGS who has done as much authentication as has Larry Briggs.

Of course, it is always possible for a mistake to slip through, but I believe you should send that coin in the slab to NGC and get an additional opinion. I am just astounded that a bogus 1795 would slip by Briggs. Heck, if the fake is that good, it might be worth more than you paid for it.

Don't give up quite yet....

RI AL

I think I know how you feel. Its like loosing your wallet with all that stuff inside. The loss boarders catastrophy. I think I would keep it as a constant reminder how easily we can be fooled.

The question is what did PGGS find that you didn't see? Hope they tell you so that you can share that information with those who collect EA coins. We all need to teach each other when are expectations are not met. (shrug)

Hi, guys.

AL this is something that would upset anyone on the forum. It really is a reminder of things in this hobby that can happen to everyone. Hope it is still in the SEGS holder. :wishluck: Hope you can recover FMV. (thumbs u

I can't say that I know the feeling, so far it has not happened to me yet, but I can imagine finding out that one of your prize possesions is bogus has got to be monumental. Gee, it was a 1795 dollar found in the first confirmed counterfeit NCG slab!

NGC Link

Hopefully it will somehow work out for you...til then keep a positive attitude.

~Woody~

Don't assume that PCGS got it right. Last year I had them bag two coins as counterfeit. I resubmitted one to PCGS and they slabbed it. I submitted the other to another TPG and they slabbed it.

I have no doubt that both coins were fine and PCGS blew it the first time they graded them.

Don't assume that PCGS got it right. Last year I had them bag two coins as counterfeit. I resubmitted one to PCGS and they slabbed it. I submitted the other to another TPG and they slabbed it.

I have no doubt that both coins were fine and PCGS blew it the first time they graded them.

This is a possible scenario....Don't give up hope yet !!

Anything is possible in 'battling tops'......Especially since it was ten, or more, years ago...

Paul

Good morning, Guys, and thanks for the overwhelming response and genuine concern for my "dilemma".

Because this thread is getting a bit long and new posts might get lost in the shuffle, I have started a new thread called "SEGS and the 1795". I hope you will have a moment to check it out and continue the words of encouragement and suggestions.

Many thanks, RI AL