• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Send or not to send

26 posts in this topic

From the images I think that I like this coin. 1830 is not a particularly rare date by CBH standards so I could go either way on encapsulating this one. If I had an album spot for it, I would probably put it there, if not, I would likely send it in if I had 4 others to send in…

From the images I think that I like this coin. 1830 is not a particularly rare date by CBH standards so I could go either way on encapsulating this one. If I had an album spot for it, I would probably put it there, if not, I would likely send it in if I had 4 others to send in…

Ditto...

The first set of imags make the coin appear to be fine while the next set of images make the coin appear to have possibly been cleaned. In reality I see little to gain from certification, but also little to lose aside from postage and fees.

I have a couple more pics (I can use the experience) that show some different angles with a florescent light. Some times the pics would come out the darker golden brown and some would come out a much brighter Grey. The coin actually looks like it would fit in between the two colors. It reminds me of a gun metal color. I did not retouch the pics except to resize them for the post. Around the rims it is kinda dark brown/black and the rest looks kinda dark Grey, I have a 1887 trade dollar that is almost the same color. If it has been cleaned then that's a horse of a different color. On the reverse about nine o'clock and around to three o'clock all the letters appear to be melting into the rim, the stars on the obverse also have this?

Thanks again for your time and assistance. Jim

41310-1830pics001.jpg.4f97419ec3cdf61d4c7473b515b7304c.jpg

41311-1830pics002.jpg.43aed53dde10139744721f4f90bea182.jpg

41312-1830pics003.jpg.bdf2d2c7d81e3426e6266caf9a1d3d26.jpg

41313-1830pics004.jpg.55cce894c1b9b3eda8baea642a9e0491.jpg

41314-1830pics005.jpg.ea21215e51f95256df9534c3cce24253.jpg

41315-1830pics006.jpg.d93f23494095d25534bb274c9ae2ffcf.jpg

41316-1830pics007.jpg.61fd68223c82c3e5f2855c36de8c1bf4.jpg

41317-1830pics010.jpg.4d850993821ce8cdec85973e6a5aed79.jpg

41318-1830pics012.jpg.5c908e8178a03a83315ce465e365a066.jpg

I am more partial to raw CBHs just so I can see the third side and enjoy them the way nature meant them! But, it you think it will grade high and would benefit from slabbing then go for it. Personally, I think that coin is a nice XF and would just leave it the way it is.

I think your 006.jpg is probably the closest to what you see in hand. Cleaned or not cleaned, I like it a lot. As far as slabbing, I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Welcome to the forums. :applause:

Welcome to the forum, Bonney Jim

Very nice CBH, it may have been cleaned a hundred years ago or so but if so I don't see any signs that it makes it any less of a collector's piece-IMHO. Slab it, what the heck.

Looks like a 50/53 coin. Personally I am not a fan of slabbing coins unless I feel the need to preserve them. If I had that coin, I would likely slab it, but that's me.

It's really up to you.

well said winston

This coin, to me, definitely should not be certified. Even if it isn't bagged, it wouldn't be worth the cost!

I do not understand that statement. Since when is an 1830 capped bust in AU condition not worth slabbing?

MM (shrug)

This coin, to me, definitely should not be certified. Even if it isn't bagged, it wouldn't be worth the cost!

I do not understand that statement. Since when is an 1830 capped bust in AU condition not worth slabbing?

MM (shrug)

Hey MM,

I am not trying to speak for anyone but myself here. What was really accomplished by having this coin slabbed? Is it any different in any way? Aside from the protection of the slab, which could also be accomplished by a very inexpensive plastic round, is it worth anymore?

If I were looking to buy this coin from the OP, I would not offer him 1 cent more being the coin is in a slab vs when it was raw. So the cost of this coin went up X amount of dollars because of the slab and might not sell for any more because of it. This coin now cost the OP that much more that he might have to eat if a knowledgeable buyer purchases this coin from him. That would be the main reason why there was no need to slab this coin.

Nice coin by the way.

MM (shrug)

I believe the point of that statement was that an 1830 AU CBH is valued at a very similar price level whether or not it is raw or slabbed. Therefore, a significant percentage of any gains in value of the coin once certified might have been erased by the cost of certification.

I guess you can read it 2 ways.

1: It is not worth enough to pay to have it slabbed (the way I took it at first)

2: It would not increase any in value if it was slabbed

I would agree the answer would be different to both statements.......

MM (thumbs u