• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

to send or not to send?

30 posts in this topic

It appears to be a commerative piece but I am not sure. It is not something that I would send in to have graded.

It is a bicentennial of congres comm. Its nothing special but i got it cheap and it looks sweet in person. For 10 bux im just gonna send it in. Nothing high grade or anything but would look nice in a holder :)

This looks like someone may have attempted to AT this coin. There is a good possiblity you will be paying for a Bodybag.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

For 10 bux even if they BB the coin i wont care. Im not even really into this type of coin but got it for melt so figured why not. Chances are if it makes it into a holder id just sell it off anyway. As far as NT or AT goes looking at this coin the colors on it are very deep. It doesnt have any of the crazy colors or patterns on it that would trigger an alarm but these days you can never really tell anyway :(

You asked so I will say "Not to send". The coin is very obviously artificially toned. The black carbon deposits indicate heat was used to make this coloration. Rather than send it in I suggest crumpling up some $1's and mabye a $5 and set a fire underneath the coin, it might further 'improve' the appearance.

-Broc

It will without doubt be bagged as AT, so your $10 under melt coin will now cost you postage both ways, which is Registered mail back to you regardless of how you mail the coin off, as well as the grading fee. If you don't care about throwing away $50 or so for the heck of it then go for it, otherwise keep it raw if you like it.

It will without doubt be bagged as AT, so your $10 under melt coin will now cost you postage both ways, which is Registered mail back to you regardless of how you mail the coin off, as well as the grading fee. If you don't care about throwing away $50 or so for the heck of it then go for it, otherwise keep it raw if you like it.
I agree..... except for the part about going for it. Even if you don't care about throwing away $50, I'd advise against submitting it.

You asked so I will say "Not to send". The coin is very obviously artificially toned. The black carbon deposits indicate heat was used to make this coloration. Rather than send it in I suggest crumpling up some $1's and mabye a $5 and set a fire underneath the coin, it might further 'improve' the appearance.

-Broc

Actually heat did not make the coloring on this coin and im 100% sure of it. I wont be sending this coin in cause i do know its history. The real reason for this post was to see how many would think its was AT or NT. So lets get some opinions on it shall we ? My goal of joining this forum is to show and hopefully teach people that AT and NT coins really are extremely hard to tell if the AT proccess is done right. Actually it most likely impossible to tell by eye or even under magnification. To sum it up is people shouldnt spend a ton of cash on a coin just cause the way it is toned!

-Broc

Actually heat did not make the coloring on this coin and im 100% sure of it. I wont be sending this coin in cause i do know its history. The real reason for this post was to see how many would think its was AT or NT. So lets get some opinions on it shall we ? My goal of joining this forum is to show and hopefully teach people that AT and NT coins really are extremely hard to tell if the AT proccess is done right. Actually it most likely impossible to tell by eye or even under magnification. To sum it up is people shouldnt spend a ton of cash on a coin just cause the way it is toned!

You’re here to teach people about AT/NT and this was your example? laughingviking.gif

-Broc

You’re here to teach people about AT/NT and this was your example? laughingviking.gif

This is only one of the examples :) More will be shown in a different thread when i have time. If anyone says AT or NT give a reason why you think so. Dont just guess and after a few i will post if it is or not and if available how!

bold added for emphasis

Very interesting. hm

How was this coin toned, as you know its history? How sure of the history are you if you "scored this baby at a local dealer"?

I will be looking forward to your future posts...Mike

[edited to add: I believe the coin is AT because of the monochromatic color that quickly transitions to an untoned area. I have no idea how it was toned. Regardless, it is not a coin I would buy as I do not find it attractive.]

Looks like cigarette smoke damage. I have not seen a mod commem this badly messed up / ugly. You scored this? ha ha - he scored you!

Its so badly damaged, I am not even sure dipping it would fix the problem. What happened to people liking Gem BU / Gem Proof coins? Unbelievable.

bold added for emphasis

Very interesting. hm

How was this coin toned, as you know its history?

I will be looking forward to your future posts...Mike

Ok well i guess i can skip waiting to see what people say and will just get right to it. First what made me interested in this was seeing all these nice flashy toned coins pop up and seeing them sell for high prices. Me personally toned coins do nothing for me cause i can make them any way i wanted if that was my thing. This coin is indeed victim of AT toning and its NOT caused by heat. Heat toned coins are very easy to spot. Like mentioned in one post carbon sometimes can be present and it will turn the coin black in most cases. Some doctors will try and rub off the black but where the heat was applied will always show a heat spot. This coin was done using the only method that truly fools people. A mixture of rubbing alcohol and sulfer powder is what causes this. Now you may run out and try it yourself but you will see that it really isnt easy to do. Many times youll get coins that will turn black or just look unattractive. Some coins even if done perfect wont look good no matter what. It takes alot of practice to get it right. You also have to do something after which i wont mention to get the smell off the coins. Lets face it sulfer smells like rotten eggs and it is super strong! There is always way you can prepare a coin before soaking it in this type of bath to get a certain pattern ect. Now in all honesty i have looked at coins that where natural toned and ones that are AT'd. I couldnt tell a difference between them at all. Nothing stands out at you to say wow this is an AT coin. Some say oh the colors seem to "float", maybe in some methods but not when using this one. Till the day they come out with some sort of test i cant see anyone telling if a coin is AT or NT unless they just guess. So for anyone who collects toned coins, next time you think about spending crazy cash on your next investment really think twice, cause in the future when the cat is totally out of the bag your coins most likely will be worthless :(

Looks like cigarette smoke damage. I have not seen a mod commem this badly messed up / ugly. You scored this? ha ha - he scored you!

Its so badly damaged, I am not even sure dipping it would fix the problem. What happened to people liking Gem BU / Gem Proof coins? Unbelievable.

This coin is a bad example cause i was trying something new and it was dipped alot to start over on it. That is why the coin literally has no cameo to it at all. If u seen it in person it almost looks like a MS coin. Also i wasnt had on this coin. I had it for a long time and when i looked it over it had some imperfections so i desided to make it into an experiment.

My goodness what an ugly coin. If that is truly NT then I am glad I do not collect toned coins. No, I'm glad anyway. If this coin is sent in to either of the top two TPG's they will laugh and BB the coin I fee sure. JMO. If you are as sure that it is NT as you say, then by all means send it in, but I would send a note in explaining why I thought it was NT.

Welcome to the forum. By all means let us know what is going on with the coin. I'm sure you could still get melt out of it, as it looks to be half way there.

Good luck, which ever way you go.

I think I would have went with a better example. I have heard of some wierd toning with coins and have seen alot of AT'd coins. You seemed a little skeptical so I ventured not to pursue much further. especially with being a new member, don't like chasing people off right off the bat. This coin is easily seen as AT'd. Silver does not tone this bright for a coin from 1989. I would expect a duller yet even tone. The color is too bright of blue and also is showing a burnt spot on top of the coin. It would also seem wierd that the coin only toned in mostly the middle and had no dis-coloring aorund any of the edges. With this much tone, the rest of the coin should have had some color of some sort besides looking BU. This is only my opinion and I would have steered clear of this coin for sure. If I was to buy and AT'd coin, it would have to be one that has an attractive tone to it. This one looks more damaged than toned.

I think I would have went with a better example. I have heard of some wierd toning with coins and have seen alot of AT'd coins. You seemed a little skeptical so I ventured not to pursue much further. especially with being a new member, don't like chasing people off right off the bat. This coin is easily seen as AT'd. Silver does not tone this bright for a coin from 1989. I would expect a duller yet even tone. The color is too bright of blue and also is showing a burnt spot on top of the coin. It would also seem wierd that the coin only toned in mostly the middle and had no dis-coloring aorund any of the edges. With this much tone, the rest of the coin should have had some color of some sort besides looking BU. This is only my opinion and I would have steered clear of this coin for sure. If I was to buy and AT'd coin, it would have to be one that has an attractive tone to it. This one looks more damaged than toned.

The reason why the toning is centered is cause the outer part that looked terrible was erased using a dip solution. This is a bad example i agree and the reason is cause its been dipped more times than some have takin a bath lol. I will post a better example shortly, heck i have so many we can look at to get a feel lol.

Is this a silver or clad coin that you are working with. I'm unfamiliar with this coin. I know there are others who are much better at this game than me. I don't like the color of this coin either. Not very even and looks AT "To Me".

Is this a silver or clad coin that you are working with. I'm unfamiliar with this coin. I know there are others who are much better at this game than me. I don't like the color of this coin either. Not very even and looks AT "To Me".

I believe this one is clad and is also a modern style commem coin. Looks much better in person and even though i dont like coins like this, it does look nice. My scanner isnt the best and i have yet to perfect my photo skills :( All my nice coins i get graded i have them do the imaging cause i just suck at it lol.

so if i leave a $1.00 coin in a match book wraped in tape on tha dash of my truck in the Arizona summer sun with temp 180+ with windows up is it AT or NT. I would call it DT

for dash toned all natural. When does toneing become AT have some of those president dollars in the window now NT or AT. Where is the line?

For the record, let me say I am against playing with AT even if just for educational purposes. Now let me ask what is your intent and reason is for AT'ing these coins? You are walking a fine line here, and we at these boards have little tolerance for coin doctors. Let me rephrase: I have no tolerance for coin doctors. The tone of your posts seems to be that you are experimenting with these methods to get better at them, and you are proud of your work. Let me caution you in the strongest possible terms. Also, tricking and lying to us in your first several posts on this board is not the best way to start off here. Honesty and integrity are valued here, and especially by me.

So, I do not want to draw any wrong conclusions from your actions prematurely. Please explain yourself.

For the record, let me say I am against playing with AT even if just for educational purposes. Now let me ask what is your intent and reason is for AT'ing these coins? You are walking a fine line here, and we at these boards have little tolerance for coin doctors. Let me rephrase: I have no tolerance for coin doctors. The tone of your posts seems to be that you are experimenting with these methods to get better at them, and you are proud of your work. Let me caution you in the strongest possible terms. Also, tricking and lying to us in your first several posts on this board is not the best way to start off here. Honesty and integrity are valued here, and especially by me.

So, I do not want to draw any wrong conclusions from your actions prematurely. Please explain yourself.

I do not do this to get better at it. I did it to understand the differences between an AT coin and a NT coin. Why i posted it the way i did is just to see how many would say AT or NT and to see if they would say how it was done. I figured most would say AT considering this coin isnt old but no one knew exactly how it was done. Everyone that guessed how it was done was wrong. Just goes to show that not many know the difference at all or what to look for. My entire point is that collectors shouldnt spend crazy amounts of money just cause how the coin is toned cause if it is done right AT wise you simply can not tell. Of course though if you love a coin and you got to have it only you should be the judge. Also while i sell coins i rarely ever sell toned coins and if i do they are marked as being AT cause i really can care less about a toned coin and they are worthless to me. Plus if someone tries to send it in and it gets BB i dont wanna hear it. Let them know up front. Also if i was looking to doctor coins and make money doing it, do you think i would even post in the first place? If that was the case id be simply a lurker and thats as far as it would go.

You know, about a year or so ago, I bought a nice 1990 unc. Ike commem silver dollar from my coin club auction for only $8. Sure it wasn't AT or any kind of T, but I was just happy to squirrel it away in a roll of mixed morgan and peace dollars knowing I got a silver dollar for cheap. I would do the same thing with this one (and hope whatever it has isn't contageous!).