• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1832 Half help

17 posts in this topic

I have this half dollar that is dated 1832. I know it isn't a high grade, it is white which means it probably has been cleaned or dipped. On the reverse the A in states is worn down. Can you give me the Overton, estimate grade, and what could have caused the wear on the reverse?

picture010mp2.jpgpicture011bh1.jpgpicture012ay2.jpg

I don't have Overton handy so I can't guess the Overton #, but part of what you're seeing is wear, and part of it is due to striking difficulties characteristic of that era of minting coins. Sometimes it's hard to tell what's strike deficiency vs wear, sometimes it's easy. Knowing the Overton helps, this way you can see what is characteristic for that particular mintage.

It looks to me like an O-110, probably in the VF range. For this variety the A and URI are almost always weak.

It looks to me like an O-110, probably in the VF range. For this variety the A and URI are almost always weak.

Yes strike would be my guess as well

I too believe it is an O-110. I think I see the little spike on the peak of the cap.

The weakness in the banner and A1 are due to the metal flow into the "deep" bust on

the obverse - (which in this case is probably more worn out than the reverse). It seems

like they messed around a lot in the late 30's with the depth of different features on the

CBH's, and didn't always get it quite right. The more pronounced they made the bust,

the weaker the strike in the banner, and in this case the A. I think if you look on the

obverse directly opposite the weak area on the reverse - you will see that the bust area

is (was) quite full. The same thing happened to the 50C on some coins where they

tried to enhance the cap.

I like O-110, but it seems to me the end of the branch extends further right over the C in the book than it does on this coin. In the book it appears to be between the inner curve and the center of the letter. On this coin it is either over the inner curve or slightly left of the inned curve.

Thanks, I think I actually like the second coin better even though I don't have it yet. It looks as if it has more character than the first. Now I just need to decide if I want to hold on to both of them or get rid of the first one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wonder if it would be worth sending coin number two to NCS? To me it doesn't look like a marketable AU-58, this is just my opinion of course. If the coin was salvageable it might fetch another few hundred if resold.

-Broc

bumpit.gif

Well I received the coin this week, I really like it but the NGC case is all scrathed up. Would it be worthwhile to send it back to NGC and put in a new holder and to add the Overton #?

Broc, what do you see on this that NCS could clean up?

Nice bust half Dwaine. There is nothing to clean up except possibly the scratched slab. It will cost you approximately $30.00 to have the coin re-slabbed with the cost of postage and insurance both ways.