• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thaler >>> Dollar......let's have some fun!

49 posts in this topic

In PM'ing with one of our friendly and very wise forum members this evening, we got started discussing Thalers and such. He noted that he didn't know a lot about these, and I mentioned that is where my interests primarily lay. In doing a bit of research, he noted that one of the origins of 'dollar' is Thaler.

I'll admit, we have some beautiful dollar designs in the US, especially ones that nature has blessed with original patina and/or color! Let's see if we can post a

Thaler - Dollar thread and see how many examples and designs we can show of these beautiful coins.

the first post should be a Thaler, followed by a US Dollar, then a Thaler and so on....

(granted, some of you not familiar with the hundreds of year of beautiful Thaler designs may have to research the 'net a bit to find a nice one to show, but that is the fun with this thread!)

To start things off, this is a Germany-Wurttemberg 'Victory' Thaler (mintage: 114,000). This was minted by the German State of Wurttemberg in 1871 as a response to Germany's recent victory in the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1871). These coins are highly sought after in this condition, and the reverse angel is one of the most highly detailed and striking designs that i think i've ever seen. A truly stunning coin in mint state. This one is in my personal collection, and i'm trying to find the other 1871 German States 'Victory' Thalers in this same level of preservation. The other 'Victory Thalers' are equally stunning in their designs.

for you history buffs, more info on the War can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco_Prussian_War

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

bbbbbbbbbb.jpg

this picture shows a bit more detail, but my bad lighting is too reflective and washes out the luster:

DSCN1335.jpg

All right, that should get us started, now someone post a sweet US dollar!

Doug

To start things off, this is a Germany-Wurttemberg 'Victory' Thaler (mintage: 114,000). This was minted by the German State of Wurttemberg in 1871 as a response to Germany's recent victory in the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1871). These coins are highly sought after in this condition, and the reverse angel is one of the most highly detailed and striking designs that i think i've ever seen. A truly stunning coin in mint state. This one is in my personal collection, and i'm trying to find the other 1871 German States 'Victory' Thalers in this same level of preservation. The other 'Victory Thalers' are equally stunning in their designs.

Good luck finding these coins in nice condition. I've got a set of them and it took a lot of time (many years), much luck and searching, and the ability to buy a set of them from a friend in order to combine it with my prior purchases.

These coins are not necessarily expensive in gem condition when you find them because the sellers frequently don't know how tough they are, but they just don't come up for sale often.

My set is currently:

Wurttemberg: MS66 - Pop 1/0

Prussia: MS65 - Pop 4/1

Saxony: MS66 (in at NGC for regrade hoping for MS67) - Pop 4/1

Bavaria: MS66 - Pop 2/0

Bremem: MS66 (semi-prooflike) - Pop 1/0

okay, i'll post a dollar since it seems that there are no Morgan dollar collectors around that wants to starts things off. Maybe we can poke at Greg until he posts one of of his sweet Victory Thalers. BTW, congrats on finding those in that level of preservation Greg, you truly don't find 'em that nice very often!!

this is one i have at NGC right now. It is in a first gen fatty holder that had some annoying hairline cracks in it, so it is getting re-holdered. Since i was doing that, i went ahead and paid an extra 5 bucks to see if it is worthy of their star designation. (the blue crescent is much more vibrant in hand)

DSCN1167.jpg

DSCN1168.jpg

yeah, they are truly classic! okay, Russ; you're up. show us a cool US dollar (doesn't have to be yours, maybe one you've seen and like)

nice Morgan! i like the dual sided toners. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but when a toner like that is dual sided and pretty much one color, does that come from storage in a coin album of some sort?

i belive it does or it was in tissue paper. and i left out that in hand when the light grabs the luster the toning is magnificant the images doesnt do the coin justice but thats the best image i can get

I have some compelling evidence the pop report for MS66 Wurttemberg victory thalers may not be accurate:

2750289-014slab.jpg

I have some compelling evidence the pop report for MS66 Wurttemberg victory thalers may not be accurate:

2750289-014slab.jpg

lol! i think i'd have to concur with you. That is a stunning Victory Thaler, that obverse looks higher than a 66, at least from that picture anyway. thanks for sharing!

DOug

I guess it is time for another Thaler, so here is one of the faves in my collection..........

1885 Switzerland (Bern) Shooting Thaler, NGC MS65. 'In hand', the detail on this obverse is simply incredible! The Swiss sure knew how to make some beautiful coins! This specimen is probably pretty close to PL, and the reverse has nice frosted devices.

doogy1obv.jpg

Doogy1rev.jpg

EDIT: D-oh, I realized I am out-of-turn.

I'll wait for someone to post a dollar before re-posting the picture smile.gif

Ahh... finally a thread on Liteside that I can participate in smile.gif

One of my favorite coins, incorporating all of the elements that I find attractive in old silver - color, design, condition - is a 1772 Thaler from Baden.

Some sad history associated with it - i bought it from an acquaintance when I was just starting collecting and knew nothing about Thalers. The guy was Vietnam vet and we'd spend hours swapping combat stories. He brought a few coins during one of our talks and told me he needed cash. As I've mentioned, I was new to the hobby, but I was already burned a few times to know that buying expensive coins without knowing anything about them is worse than gambling, so I declined to purchase it. He insisted and told me that he'll take CV for it with a clause that if I couldn't authenticate it, I can return it. I paid the guy $175 for this Thaler and sent it to ANACS for authentication. It came back a month later as XF45. When I called the guy up to tell him about it, I found out that he passed away a few days earlier from the cirrhosis of the liver...

I will always have this coin in my collection to remember him.

~Roman

Hi, MikeKing hi.gif

Thank you for the kind words about my posted coin above. Yes, that SLD took a few shows and auctions to find and buy! smile.gif

I enjoyed your Morgan Dollar toner you have listed too! thumbsup2.gif

Also It looks like we listed two dollars a few minutes apart, so it is only fair for two Thalers to be posted in a row, right? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

AAJ

Very nice 1846 Seated Dollar Al. I like the overall looks of the coin, it has nice detail. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Nice Images as well.

I have two Seated Dollars, both 1859, one graded AU 55 and this one MS 60 barely.

1859OMS60Obv-2.jpg

1859OMS60Rev-1.jpg