• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL...Will the extra leaf Wisconsin quarters ever make it to the Grey Sheet ?

Will the extra leaves ever appear on 'the sheet' ?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Will the extra leaves ever appear on 'the sheet' ?

14 posts in this topic

OK, so will the day ever come that we see bids and asks for these things in the grey sheet ?

If not, what will appear in the sheet before them?

Paul

I agree with Greg in that I don't believe it is an important coin, but the question is really good. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thank you Tom !!

Bobby,

Some varieties are listed in the grey sheet. (55/55 and 72/72 cent, for example).

For some reason, I can't view the results of this poll. I've voted in it, and started it, but I can't view it. What can I be doing wrong ? Anybody ?

Paul

Will the extra leaves ever appear on 'the sheet' ?

Users may choose only one (9 total votes)

It will never happen.

4 44%

It will probably happen this year.

0 0%

It will happen by some time next year.

3 33%

Probably not because too many other coins should appear first (explain below).

2 22%

Just wait til you are able to add them to the State Quarter with Varieties set. They will look good beside the Humpback Bison and Minn. DDRs, not to mention the Satin Finish coins because thats were they belong, in the varieties set!

The controversy is great for these coins.

I don't believe they need it since they will come to be seen to be exactly what they appear to be; unathorized 45 minute type coins.

While the supply is significant this, too, will add to their desirability.

Did you see in the most recent Coin World that a new theory suggests that the "extra leaf" variations result from a hubbing mishap with the obverse dies. "Overlays show that the leaves precisely match the outer edge of the large lower curl in George Washington's peruke (wig)." "It is theorized that an offset between an obverse hub and the die blank existed, that is they were not centered on each other."

Just thought it was an interesting article.

Rey

Did you see in the most recent Coin World that a new theory suggests that the "extra leaf" variations result from a hubbing mishap with the obverse dies. "Overlays show that the leaves precisely match the outer edge of the large lower curl in George Washington's peruke (wig)." "It is theorized that an offset between an obverse hub and the die blank existed, that is they were not centered on each other."

Just thought it was an interesting article.

Rey

I haven't seen it yet but have a great interest in it. The problem with this theory is that this area is not the high point on the hub so shouldn't touch first. The die is a little conical but I don't believe there's any way to account for the discrepancy.

I can't see it happening.

I think that the interest in these coins has peaked and will decline or at most remain steady. In order for a variety to get on the Gray Sheet it needs to have a big following AND enough coins around to make a market.

An example of the "enough coins to make a market" is what's wrong with the 1969-S doubled die cent. A good number of collectors want it, but it's so rare there are very few trades.

I would also like to congratulate Billy Crawford (DieVarieties) for coming up with the most logical explanation for the cause of the high and low leaf. His photographic evidence appears to be indisputable.

Chris