• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post an AU 50-8 coin of yours you really like.

81 posts in this topic

One thing that is nice about coin collecting is that you can collect them in all sorts of different conditions. Post a coin of yours that is AU 50 - 58 that you really like.

ArrowsNRays1853Au55.jpg

1944.jpg

1994r.jpg

wearpoints.jpg

1944 low grade raw A/U Walker that shows the light amount of rub on the high spots of obverse and reverse. The scan depics natural color with lots of hidden (must be rotated in hand) luster. One person/TPG might find it AU another might find it XF, not enough pazzaz for submission, but I like the looks. A typical half dollar of that era, that for some reason was removed from circulation and saved by somebody.

1934 PCGS AU-58 Walking Liberty Half Dollar:

1851664-1934.jpg

In your opinion, why do you think PCGS only went to 58 and not MS on this Walker?

Pendragon1998 wrote:

1934 PCGS AU-58 Walking Liberty Half Dollar:

1851664-1934.jpg

WoodenJefferson wrote:

In your opinion, why do you think PCGS only went to 58 and not MS on this Walker?

I'm actually glad you asked me that, as it's been a few months since I last pulled that coin out and looked at it. Since then, I've learned a little more about spotting wear on coins (i.e., that holding a bright light nearly edge-on to the coin works well for that). The coin has the slightest rub across the breast and leg on the obverse, and down the length of the eagle on the reverse. The rub isn't enough to take away detail, but it does show as an interruption in the luster. There's also something going on across the sun, but I'm not sure what that is. Without that luster issue, this would be an awesome MS coin, I'm sure.

Man, there are some gorgeous coins here!!! 893applaud-thumb.gifyay.gif

I really like this AU 50 -58 grade range, particularly for type coins, because there is still so much "meat on the bones" of the coin, normally at a fraction of the cost of a MS coin, and often looks better than the MS 60-2 coins.