• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1949-D Franklin.

24 posts in this topic

1949-D's are VERY tough Frankies to find with nice toning. I bought this one about 17 years ago and still have yet to see a nicer one. It is graded NGC MS65. Why it is not FBL is beyond me, it surely should be. The toning background is fairly dark ('49-D's generally are fairly dark), but as you can see there are some very nice iridescent highlights throughout. LucyBop was kind enough to do the images.

49dms65-1Sm.jpg49dms65-5Sm.jpg

49dms65-6Sm.jpg

Thanks folks, glad you like it. My parents got married in '49, so it's always been an important date to me.

Thats a nice looking coin! Nice images as well. I must ask are the reverse colors 100% on target? I ask because the plastic color is different.

Bruce, the colors are visually accurate. My gut feel is that Lucy was adjusting things one way or another to get all the colors out, as the reverse has different color "patches" depending on how you tilt it. Also, one image may be ambient lighting and another overhead lighting. When I post this ATS you could ask the question and see if Lucy answers it. However, she did capture the colors VERY well.

This one was a toughie to image.....

The colors that came out are true to the eye, as they are what I saw...

That is beautiful. As for FBL, is it in an older holder? The TPGS didn't use FBL for the first 15 years, so if yours was graded before that, it wouldn't say FBL. And I agree, that is a beautiful strong strike, even for an early D mint.

That is beautiful. As for FBL, is it in an older holder? The TPGS didn't use FBL for the first 15 years, so if yours was graded before that, it wouldn't say FBL. And I agree, that is a beautiful strong strike, even for an early D mint.

I bought this one in the early '90's. About 3ish years ago I decided to resubmit it to NGC to correct the obvious screw-up about the FBL. It came back non-FBL again. Dang near drove me crazy (not that I have far to drive). C'est la vie.

LucyBop image

and one of her most recent posts

she likes/d comics as well

I see why I was not familiar with her. I was only here for 6 months when she made her last post in the comics section. That's a nice pic in her sig.

Oh yeah, she did post to this thread on this side of the street. Whaddya' know.

She imaged about 10ish Franklins of mine several years ago, and I think she did an excellent job.

FWIW, I sent this coin in to PCGS and it came back a MS65FBL.