• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Played Crackout! (Don't look if you're not into Modern *spoon*)

16 posts in this topic

While looking for high grade Eisenhower Dollars so that I can fill a registry set, I found a 1974-S silver dollar in an old PCGS green label holder. When I purchased the coin, I knew the coin had turned in the holder but by the time it arrived, the coin had turned further. That got me to thinking... wasn't the PCGS green label used at a time when grading was much stricter? Hmm... rather than sending this back to PCGS for reholdering, how about trying my first crackout and see what NGC says about the coin.

When I did crack out the coin, it was much nicer looking than in the scratched PCGS holder. I figured that if nothing else, it should maintain the grade when sent to NGC. The coin came back from NGC. Rather than give you the grades, here is the coin without NGC's grade. Let's see what you think. I will post the grade and the empty PCGS holder later.

1800353-1974S-Ike-Crackout1.jpg

Scott hi.gif

1800353-1974S-Ike-Crackout1.jpg.6e65beb35f4e5012cf0466bfadd15015.jpg

looks like a 68 to me, but tought to say for sure as the pic makes it a bit tough to judge the luster, a key characteristic in grading the silver Ikes...Mike

I like the "burnished" overall matte appearance of the coin. The fields are quite impressive. Very few detracting marks. The only problems I see are the marks in way of the "L"s in "DOLLAR" on the reverse. I say 68+ depending more on how they judge the discoloration in that small field area over the high point rubs on the letters themselves. I'm not an expert by any means, but I have one Ike in an original small first edition PCGS holder I'm going to dig out to check on.

After following Q. David Bowers columns on the crackout game in Coin World recently, I am itching to give it a few attempts. I may start a thread on the safest way to crack coins out without damage.

Thanks for the interesting post!

MS66 maybe MS67. Doesn't appear to have enough of a pop for a higher grade. Also, there are a few noticeable hits which should keep it out of a higher grade.

Congratulations to Greg for coming the closest! It graded MS67. The coin is very white with some hits. It was an experience trying to play with the white balance in order to get the image. It is really a beautiful coin. I am very happy with the grade considering I bought it at...

1801570-1974S-Ike-Crackout3.jpgheadbang.gif

I found this on auction at David Lawrence. It went less than MS66 prices because I suspect the coin turned in the holder. I also think a small rub that is on the "LL" in dollar also prevented it from grading higher.

This is my first crackout... I think it was a good gamble! thumbsup2.gif

Scott hi.gif

1801570-1974S-Ike-Crackout3.jpg.6fc23d6b25f8888dbbda4489381f9a02.jpg

Now we know why I'm not a professional grader! I have a similar coin, same generation holder, David Lawrence auction, rotated Ike. Maybe I'll try mine, too. Fun post, enjoyed it. I'll be out for some time, so take care, all!

I know you meant the coin rotated in the slab, but FWIW when someone says a coin "turned in the holder" I think they're talking about a bad dip job/improper rinse. Just to avoid confusion...

The old PCGS “rattle holders” were constantly plagued by rotation problems. The difficulty was that the coins were supposed to be held in place by tiny plastic prongs. When those were broken, and sometimes I think they are broken from the time the coin was placed in the slab, the coins rattled and rotated. Hence the less than complimentary name “rattle holders.”

And, yes, if the picture of this Unc. silver Ike dollar is a fair indication of the luster (or lack of it) in this piece, I’d say that it has been improperly dipped. As such I think that the MS-67 grade is a bit too generous.