• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

peace dollar post!!!!!!

121 posts in this topic

In the past, when I was a silly collector, that thought all dealers were honest and told the truth I purchased this coin. OK, this was one of the coins I bought in the first few months of my of what I would consider my serious collecting. I paid a wopping $135 for this soon to be BB'ed coin from NGC. This coin was a turning point in my collecting. It slapped me up side the head and said...you just paid what for this P.O.S....after this was when I decided to spend more money on education that the coins. This coin is now my pocket piece and looks looks smooth as can be. This picture was taken years ago after about of month of pocket wear. I carry it mpw as a reminder of two things. One, I need to learn more about the coins I collect. Two, I love Peace Dollars.

1935PocketPiece-1.jpg

1935PocketPieceRev-1.jpg

If I get a chance I will take more recent photos and show you how it looks after several years of use.

thank you for your post and story!!! i too had that happen and is why i only buy ngc slabbed peace dollars now! mine was a 140$ cleaned(bb) 21 peace dollar. it is on the wall of whoes!!

Thanks guys. I actually do have one more that I forgot. This one I just use to flip through my fingers when I’m thinking or whatever…(old photo work)

PeaceO.JPG

PeaceR.JPG

Looks like a high releif 1921 to me thumbsup2.gif

laughingonground.gif

I was serious 27_laughing.gif

What do you see that would indicate that confused.gif ?

It appears to be dished out away from the rims where the other strikes seem flatter. And Liberty seems to be thicker. JMO sorry.gif

laughingonground.gif

I was serious 27_laughing.gif

What do you see that would indicate that confused.gif ?

It appears to be dished out away from the rims where the other strikes seem flatter. And Liberty seems to be thicker. JMO sorry.gif

You could certainly be right. I have no idea. The coin is so worn that I never attempted to date it. Peace dollars are not in my area of expertise either.

This post is from my seven year old daughter:

Hi!! Thank you for posting this wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, thread!!!

Hi!! Thank you for posting this wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, thread!!!

i am glad to see that there is a new numismatic collector with the same love for peace dollars smile.gif

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

ant... Yep...she really loves the Peace Dollars. She sat down with an old copy of a Red Book and turned down the pages of the coins she thought looked cool. After I explained how much $20 Saints and $10 Indians were, she went for the Peace Dollars...the girl does have good taste!

wink.gif

ant... Yep...she really loves the Peace Dollars. She sat down with an old copy of a Red Book and turned down the pages of the coins she thought looked cool. After I explained how much $20 Saints and $10 Indians were, she went for the Peace Dollars...the girl does have good taste!

wink.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

wink.gif

Seems the girl has the GOLD bug!!

Chad...yes...she definitely gravitated towards the gold pieces initially but came to the realization that Peace Dollars were physically attainable at a much quicker pace. I think she really likes the Peace Dollars for several reasons. They look quite similar to the $10 Indians and they're big and shiney...but she's also enamored with this time in history. We have the movie "Balto" [which takes place in 1925 ] and tells the story of how the Iditerod dog-sled race came into being. After this she was on a quest to get both the '25-P and the '25-S. She "cherried" an AU '25-S from the bulk bin at our local B&M shop and the "Tooth Fairy" brought her a low MS example of a '25-P. I'm also a "History Channel" junkie and she came in at the tail end of a WW1 documentary. We had read the blurb about Peace Dollars at the beginning of the Dansco album and she made the connection about why the word "Peace" appears on the reverse of the coin. She has tried several times [yes...she's only seven!] to save up for a 1921 but always manages to spend her money on others things. Go figure... Coin collecting has been great for her. It has given her direction and has allowed her to set goals.

All the Best

Leo

hi.gifTwo more

1790242-Picture005.jpg

1790242-Picture007.jpg

1790242-Picture007.jpg.d8c6d83e3cf664bfbe20c4609b13ddf4.jpg