• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you guys think of this one?

17 posts in this topic

Normally, when I have a new coin to share with the board I post a description and my thoughts about it up front. This time I thought I’d give you guys a shot at critiquing my newest addition before offering my comments about it. Let’s see who can come closest to what I think about this coin.

1756153-1936-Rhode-Island-obv.jpg1756154-1936-Rhode-Island-rev..jpg

John

It looks to be full of luster, has great toning and looks original. The strike looks a little soft (though that may be just a characteristic of this type commem).

I like it as an MS 66. thumbsup2.gif

This is a really fine example of the type. RI commems are plagued with myriad small nicks and hits on the Native American and Roger Williams on the obverse as well as across the broad, open expanse of the state shield on the reverse. This coin appears devoid of those problems. Also, it is quite typical for RI commems to tone in a speckled, splotchy manner that is heavy on burnt auburn and that mutes the luster. Thankfully, this coin appears to retain significant luster while having smooth, even attractive toning primarily on the perimeter. This piece seems to be toned much more like one would expect from a ME commem while having luster more in line with a TX commem. I like it quite a bit.

Beautiful coin. Unbelievable purity and lack of nicks, scratches and still lustrous yet with great toning, which should grade this coin quite high in the upper 60's. What is the raised area in the lower portion of the 2nd A in America? Maybe lighting? Congratulations on a great addition.

A nice slider (AU58) as evidenced by the wear on the anchor. Typical toning resulting from sticking the coin in a match box and leaving for a few months.

boo.gifpoke2.gif

OK, seriously, looks like it is superb condition. Based only on the marks I can see I would say it likely grades MS67, but maybe MS66 on a bad day. Very attractive LIGHT original toning. Based on how these usually tone, I'm guessing the colors are close to lavender and reddish gold. I like it a lot. Very attractive!

Beautiful thumbsup2.gif My fledgling grading skills lean towards a PQ-66 or maybe 67. It has attractive toning and is an S-mint to boot. As far as my guess about what you were thinking...

I'm assuming you were thinking it would be great for a forum giveaway contest? stooges.gif

Matt

John this is a very very nice MS 66. I would buy the coin if I had the money. Some nice toning even if it is not considered wild. I like it alot. thumbsup2.gif

Very attractive coin. Lack of noticable marks, etc. as well as reamaining lustre would lean me towards a MS-67. I like the toning a alot and the way it is appeared on the coin, mainly around the perimeter. Even more appealing and one of the first things to pop into my mind was that the toning color is very appropriate for the coin and images of that time in history for me.

Very nice coin.

Rey

An immaculate example of a coin that has a high potential to be ugly. The lack of marks on the coin is truly notable. The coin appears to have thick skin as well as being toned in a very complimentary way. Very nice!

Hoot

Well, there have been some great observations, opinions and questions posted about the coin. Some of you were spot on with your assessment of the coin, and the rest of you were not far off, so I think its time I let everyone in on my thoughts about the coin.

The coin is a 1936s Rhode Island commemorative. It is in an NGC holder graded MS-67 and is accurately graded in my opinion. Although all the Rhode Island commemoratives are tough coins in superb gem condition, the ‘36s is by far the rarest in such a state of preservation.

The coin is toned in very pretty shades of light sky blue around the rims, as well as light lavender and reddish gold as Greg guessed. In addition, the coins luster is truly impressive. In fact it is as nice, if not the nicest that I have ever seen on a Rhode Island. The coin shimmers in even the most indirect light. Toning and luster this nice is quite uncommon on a Rhode Island and just adds to the coin's desirability in my opinion.

Although a few tiny ticks can be seen under 6X magnification, the coin is basically mark free to the naked eye. The light area on the prow of the canoe that Larry was wondering about is just an artifact of the image, it is actually reflection from the coins luster similar to the light area above the Indian’s forehead. The coin is well struck, though the low relief design can make it difficult to tell if you are not familiar with how these normally come.

Overall, I’m very pleased with this coin, and feel that it makes a fine addition to my collection. Thanks to everyone who took the time to participate and offer their opinions. thumbsup2.gif

John

John,

Thank you for the detailed follow up on your coin. I must say that the description you provides is great. A very nice coin to have and one that I am sure is a pleasure to see in hand. thumbsup2.gif

As a side note I have learned so much about commemoratives on here and have become very fascinated and interested in them. Information such as that provided through your post and the responses from others is great. Keep it up.

Rey