• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Numismatic Birthday Wish for G.R. Brown

23 posts in this topic

First of all I want to say thank you to everyone that I have either communicated with on this site or those that I am only familiar with by reading your posts. The knowledge and help gained from this site is fantastic.

The coins that I have been fortunate enough to share with you and that are now a huge part of my life are, as many of you know by now, my father’s collection which he began as a teenager in the late 1920’s to early 1930’s. My father’s 90th birthday is May 7th and I thought that perhaps I would throw out the idea of a Numismatic Birthday Wish from other coin collectors such as yourselves in the form of a post and replies.

Since my father has provided me with his collection to perform a complete and thorough inventory and cataloging of, an entire new world has opened up for me but also for him again. The excitement and interest in his coins that has been rekindled is amazing. His anticipation on the “next bit of news” is overwhelming. So far we have verified a few coins that were previously unmatched in grade through PCGS, NGC, and various auction records. Every time I go to visit him he asks that I bring more coins with me so we can look at them together. I am putting together an album with photographs of his coins to present to him for his birthday that will allow him to be able to view his collection whenever he likes and share it with others as he used to do.

So if you care to, post a reply to this post in the form of a birthday wish or just a message about coins and please do not hesitate to include any pictures of coins you like, your favorite, anything. I think he would enjoy it tremendously, especially coming from other true collectors. He collected mainly US and Canadian Gold and Silver as well as other miscellaneous world coins.

Thank you,

Rey

Happy Birthday to you Mr. Brown.

You should be very proud of what your son, Rey, is accomplishing. The coins he has posted from your collection is nothing short of pheomenal.

I have enjoyed each and every post/image he has entered. From your Fugio and half disme to your 1940 D/D VP-002 and everything in between and after, they have all been winners in my book. Very impressive. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here is wishing you a very Happy Birthday and many more to come. Your coins are in great hands.

I don't have any 1917 coins (I'll have to bow to other members for that) to commemorate your special day, but I can at least get the same decade. flowerred.gif

1911PF63obv1225.jpg

1911PF63rev1226.jpg

My dad is "only" 84 but he likes big coins. I suggest you get your dad a big one like this for his birthday! ;)

1901Morgan-2.jpg

Have a great birthday G.R.!

151811415fm4.gif news.gif Thank you Mr. Brown for providing us with some of the most beautiful examples of incredible coins from your collection. Rey has so graciously provided us an inspiration of your passion for collecting and is enjoyed by every member of this community we call coin collectors. Hope you have a wonderful Birthday. thumbsup2.gif

Happy Birthday Mr. brown. I have enjoyed reading your son's posts and viewing all the beautiful coins from your collection. Your collection truly shows the sincerity in collecting and what it means to be a true numismatist. I am sharing one of mine and my favorites types of coins. "Morgans". cloud9.gif

1880SMorganNGCMS63PLRevObv.jpg

buffalo-1.jpgbuffalorev.jpg

A Coin

Your western heads here cast on money,

You are the two that fade away together,

Lunging buffalo shoulder

Lean Indian face,

We who come after where you are gone

Salute your forms on the new nickel.

You are

To us:

The past

Runners

On the prairie:

Good-by.

Carl Sandburg

1916 Chicago Poems

Happy Birthday Mr. Brown

Note: Images borrowed from CoinFacts.com

Happy Birthday Mr. Brown.

You have put together a collection of coins that can be enjoyed by one and all. I hope you will continue to enjoy the great coins your son as cataloged for you.

Happy Birthday G.R. Brown!

You have some great coins and Rey is doing a great job with them.

It's great when a hobby can be shared with family members and passed down.

Thanks for all the great posts Rey thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifheadbang.gifyay.gif

Thanks for all of the well wishes and comments, they are all truly appreciated. He will definitely enjoy seeing this.

Thanks hi.gif

Wish you the best of birthdays Mr. G.R. Brown. Have had some conversations with Rey. Must say that he has potential as a followup Numismatist.

Have sent a scanner attachment to a 'crusty' old 1917 Walker that I hope you enjoy. Please tell Rey as many stories as you can. He will remember them with great fondness. Best wishes from all of us here on the boards. Bob

[suphttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-12/1235810/1917WalkerAU-55NGC.jpgertooth]

Dear Mr. Brown,

I think it's wonderful that you and your son Rey can share your love of coins with each other. His enthusiasm is infectious and a pleasure to witness, and I have no doubt that much of it came from you. I wish you a very happy birthday and hope that the two of you will continue to enjoy the gift of the love of numismatics that you obviously have.

By the way, Rey, told me that you used to do business with a particular, rather well known family member of mine in the Fort Worth area. wink.gif

Sincerely,

Mark Feld

151811415fm4.gif
news.gif Thank you Mr. Brown for providing us with some of the most beautiful examples of incredible coins from your collection. Rey has so graciously provided us an inspiration of your passion for collecting and is enjoyed by every member of this community we call coin collectors. Hope you have a wonderful Birthday. thumbsup2.gif

Today is big day Tell him Happy Birthday Rey from all of here thumbsup2.gif

Thank you Irvin and all. Will do, had our visit this weekend with his party on friday. He was thrilled by all the wishes from the members and the photo album of his coins I made was a definite hit. Amongst all of the coins in the album he noticed two I had left out. Unbelievable that he could remember but he did.

Thanks,

Rey

Wow, 90 years. That makes me feel really young. Happy Birthday to you sir. You can be really proud of your son and your collection. A pic for the fun of it.

Image_0546.jpg