• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned Saint

19 posts in this topic

Gold doesn't tone like silver does. Saints are hard to find (and any other gold coin for that matter) with toning, much less vibrant colors like that. Gold will turn different shades of yellow and orange, but not usually rainbow like that.

Personally, I like it. Even if it is artificial. Would I pay $6,000 for it? NO WAY.

I have never seen toning like that, and they even say gold doesn't normally tone that way. Usually gold tones evenly. And sometimes you get copper spotting. Of course if you use the right type of gasses, anything is possible... 893whatthe.gif

I don't much about gold, but I do know for my preference that I would rather the natural look of a gold coin compared to this. Toning looks beautiful on most other coins but not so much with the gold for me.

Possibly heat - not sure how - but quite unusual - also - it could be due to an alloy mix that result in much of the copper near the reverse surface and becuase of the relativley greater amount of copper near the reverse surfce you're seeing more toning of the copper atoms - As I mentioned, quite unusual as gold is quite inert and barely tones at all

I have not seen that kind of toning on a gold coin, and I actively look for that sort of thing. I don't trust it at all. I have seen gold coins with rainbow toning, but it has always been VERY faint and subtle.

Edited to add: I just clicked the link to the Anaconda website. Slabbed by PCGS, 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmm? I don't care. It still looks like faked toning to me, or image that is way too juiced.

I just don't believe gold coins will naturally tone like the coin pictured. I personally am getting tired of seeing these type of coins with such high premiums. If you like them and want to pay the enormous premiums..have at it!

I don't really think of gold coins toning, but rather, as some of them displaying color which is already part of the coin (in the form of impure alloy) at the time of striking.

My guess is that the color of the coin in question might be more subdued in person and that the vivid pink areas on the reverse are merely "copper stains" the likes of which I have often seen on original gold coins. Copper stains can vary quite a bit in terms of hue, attractiveness (or lack thereof) and intensity.

I am a silver kind of guy for two reasons--I cannot afford most gold coins that I would want and I actually do not like the images used in the coins(even the qtr eagles which are attractive still have no rim which makes them look awful to me).

But besides that for someone to pay a 4 or 5 times premium for a coin for a rainbow is beyond my comprehension. I know a lot of collectors on this forum like toned coins but would you pay a 4 to 5 times premium for that toning?

If so, its your money but don't complain when it's found to be AT.

Jim

The more I think about it, I have I have an 1890 $20 Lib that has some subtle pink and blue green-like hues to it when you examine the coin closely, but there is no discernable pattern. Frankly, I think that some of the crust on the coin actually helps to hold it back from going from a '62 to a '63 because it dulls the luster a little bit, but that is beside the point as my OCD races onward. Maybe if you find a gold coin with the perfect "mix" of copper, then "treat" the coin "properly" you can get interesting color paterns to appear if you get lucky... tongue.gif

I've seen this coin in-hand and the colors are just about as vibrant as the image suggests. More disturbing, the obverse appears original to me, but the reverse appears to have been mainpulated, in my opinion. Therefore, I think this coin is AT.

I think it is very attractive. However, I recognize what it is. I'm fairly positive this coin belongs/belonged to a forum member and there has been talk about it in the past about how the color occurred.

I do find it funny that Anaconda would put a disclaimer on it considering many of the other coins he has handled.

I've not seen this coin personally, though I have seen the photos. I have seen other coins with similar, though not as vibrant patterns. Those at lease looked natural and shockingly enough, there was no premium associated with them. Personally, I am generally not a big fan of toning, which is why I collect gold in the first place!

I have not seen that kind of toning on a gold coin... I don't trust it at all. I have seen gold coins with rainbow toning, but it has always been VERY faint and subtle.

Ditto!

I have owned many Saints and have seen peach, orange, antique gold, and greenish toning. However all of these toned coins had uniform toning, distributed evenly around the lettering and devices. I have never seen a Saint that looked anything like this toning.