• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Week # 254 - Happy Friday!

23 posts in this topic

QUESTION:

What was the first circulating USA coin to carry a designer's initial?

Good Luck!

Our first place winner will receive a signed copy of "History of the United States Mint" by David W. Lange. There will also be a runner up prize given to a randomly selected player with the correct answer.

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia info post for more details.

When you post your answer, only the administrators an see it . Stop back this Monday. We will make all the posts visible and announce the winners.

indian head cent had one initial, an L, in 1864, the gobrecht dollar had one initial in 1836 (c. gobrecht), the barber coins have a single initial B, so i guess that the 1909 lincoln cent would be the first for more than 1 initial, VDB.

The 1836 Silver Dollar was the first circulated coin to bear an engravers "initials and signature" his entire last name, C. Gobrecht. F. Longacre was actually the first to use only an "initial" when he included a tiny letter "L" on the ribbon of part of the Indian Head cent issue of 1864.

rbrown4

First coin to carry the designer's initial was the Indian Head Cent, dated 1864, with L

on the ribbon.

Although not a circulating coin, the Christian Gobrecht Dollars of 1836 - 1839 did carry

his name either on the base or directly under the base on the obverse on the initial

years these patterns were struck.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Some Continental Dollars bear the legend “EG Fecit” ("EG made it") – though no one knows for sure who “EG” was. (Some believe he may have been Elisha Gallaudet.)But i guess you want the answer for a CIRCULATING U.S.A. coin so i think that would be Christian Gobrecht. The first dollar dated 1836 bore the inscription C. GOBRECHT F. (F. an abbreviation for The latin word Fecit or "made it") and in December of 1836 a new obverse die with Gobrechts name on the base of the dollar was struck, with the inscription { C.GOBRECHT F. }. In my opinion The Holy Grail of Dollars, The Gobrecht Dollar!

QUESTION:

What was the first circulating USA coin to carry a designer's initial?

ANSWER:

The gold dollar (1849)

Unfortunately there was no correct answer given this week. Thanks for playing this weeks Numisma-Quest. Dont forget to stop by for this weeks PMG question