• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone know how to decipher a barcode on an NGC label?

35 posts in this topic

That auction just doesn't make any sense at all. What's with that break-out thing ?

This guy is nuts and a seller I would definitely avoid.

Paul

makepoint.gif IF YOU HAD A COIN WORTH THAT MUCH WOULD YOU OPEN IT WITH A HAMMER makepoint.gif

I know i would have got the Dremmil out !!!!!!!!

makepoint.gif IF YOU HAD A COIN WORTH THAT MUCH WOULD YOU OPEN IT WITH A HAMMER makepoint.gif

I know i would have got the Dremmil out !!!!!!!!

I have used a hammer on coins worth more with no problems. But then again I do not do it the way he shows.

Christo_pull_hair.gif and he is says its a MS63 !! cheeky mare!! hope ebay Kicks him off 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Its funny that he has no time and he is selling his collection !1 at a time 27_laughing.gif

Somebody thinks the number is 2513106-001.

Update!! That number came back 1884-S NGC AU-58.

It looks MS to me. Am I missing something??

Heh, heh, Mark Feld "won" the coin. Perhaps he can update us on what happened.
I sent the message below to the seller and received a couple of replies. They were somewhat long-winded, but didn't directly address my concerns. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Dear seller,

I have just read some extremely disturbing things about your listing of this item and want to give you a chance to explain before I report you to Ebay for violation of their policies, as well as blatant misrepresentation.

You listed the coin as: 1884-S N.G.C. CERTIFIED MS 63 MORGAN DOLLAR. But, now I have read on a large coin collector discussion forum that the coin is NOT certified as MS63 by NGC and in fact is not in an NGC MS63 holder. If that is correct, your listing title was grossly misleading and it is against Ebay's keyword spamming policy. I hope you have a very good expalantion for what appears to be reprehensible behavior.

Its AU at best - "S" mints had FANTASTIC breast feathers UNLIKE this coin with them half gone ...

500 dollar coin

Its AU at best - "S" mints had FANTASTIC breast feathers UNLIKE this coin with them half gone ...

500 dollar coin

That's being extremely harsh. It's (high grade) AU at worst, not at best, and it certainly looks like it could have been graded 60 or better previously. I say that despite the fact that I think the seller is guilty of blatant misrepresentation and is extremely sleazy.

I meant HIGH AU - still at BEST because of the San Francisco Mintage ..

How did you not get a bad FEEDBACK from that ordeal ??? More VERBAL LASHINGS smile.gif

I meant HIGH AU - still at BEST because of the San Francisco Mintage ..

How did you not get a bad FEEDBACK from that ordeal ??? More VERBAL LASHINGS smile.gif

That's still too harsh. There is no way the coin should ever grade less than high grade AU and it looks as if it could grade unc., so it's (high grade) AU at worst, not best. Also, it's not a good idea to place too much emphasis on the eagle's breast feathers when grading Morgan Dollars. Not all dates (or even all S-mints) display the same detail in that area. I've seen worse detail on S-mints graded MS65 than there is on the coin in question.

Regarding having avoided negative feedback - I took a calculated risk, though I believe that the seller had far more to lose than I did in this situation.

The seller added the gibberish below to his listing, which, apparently, is about to end. I see that his most recent stated reason for selling is his health, whereas the other day he mentioned that he needed the money to pay for a couple of cars he had bought off of Ebay.

"I am going to end the listing and relist with out mention of ngc or pcgs. ANACS and NGC did grade the coin. Both graded the coin ms 63 AS WELL AS LOWER I HAD THE COIN GRADED MANY TIMES. I THINK IT IS SAD THAT BECAUSE THE TOP GRADING SERVICES HAVE SUCH A HUGE DESCEPENCY IN GRADING EVEN THE SAME COIN WHEN RESUBMITTED WAS GRADED WAY OFF FROM THE FIRST TIME THAT I AM HAVING PROBLEMS . THE PUBLIC REALLY DOES NOT UNDERSTAND ALL THIS. MOST OF THE PEOPLE OR E BAY " COIN NOVICES THAT YOU HAVE BEEN CONTACTED BY SUCH AS opascoins( 808), coinbuf( 524),masterbruce1( 138),AND SO ON. GOOD DAY!

A STINK ABOUT THE COIN BEING GRADED A,U. THEN MS 63 AND EVERYWHERE ELSE ON THE BOARD THERE LITTLE MINDS ARE TO SMALL TO UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING ON. Thanks and I will list it over again. i have been a member of the A.N.A.for some time. Is a matter of fact my father and my brothers and I are all life members of the a.n.a, p.c.g.s. and n.g.c. If you check your records you will notice that I owned Royal coins in Houston and Astro city coin and Gulf Coast coins all at on time. I retired several years ago and have been selling my personal collection. This coin imparticular came from Heritage. I can assure you they are familiar with the coin and have contacted me about buying it as well already and said they would be be bidding on the auction. So i WILL END THIS AUCTION AFTER SOME OF THE BIDDERS HAVE A CHANCE TO READ THE QUESTION AND ANSWER AND KNOW I WILL BE RELISTING THIS COIN THAT IS ONE OF THE FINEST OUT THERE ACCORDING TO YOU THE A.N.A. IN AUSTIN WHOM I TOOK THE COIN TO JUST ONE HOUR DOWN THE ROAD FROM ME. I MIGHT EVEN TAKE IT DOWN THERE TOMORROW JUST TO SHOW THE LITTLE COIN GUYS ON E BAY MAKING SUCH A ROAR OVER THIS FINE COIN BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY IT. HA HA ! JUST KIDDING. GODD DEAL. ONE MORE THING I SHOULD MENTION FOR ALL CONCERNED READERS ABOUT MY ETHICS OR WHAT EVER ELSE IS BEING QUESTIONED HERE. I WAS RECENTLY OFFERED A JOB WITH THE A.N.A. AND WHEN I SAY RECENTLY I MEAN IN THE LAST COUPLE WEEKS AND TURNED IT DOWN DUE TO MY HEALTH. THAT IS THE REASON I WAS SELLING THIS COIN AND OTHERS. GOOD DAY MR. A.N.A. I WILL REMOVE THE LISTING TOMORROW."

I noticed he mentioned the coin came from Heritage. It should be fairly easy to find it in the archives. There can't be that many of that grade and date that have sold through heritage.

JJ

I noticed he mentioned the coin came from Heritage. It should be fairly easy to find it in the archives. There can't be that many of that grade and date that have sold through heritage.

JJ

Even if we give him the benefit of the doubt that the coin was once in an NGC 63 holder, he was deceitful in his first listing. In addition to including "NGC MS63 certified" (which the coin clearly wasn't at the time) in the listing title, he failed to mention that the coin had previously been graded less than MS63, or to note the grade on the NGC label that accompanied his photo.

He really can't seem to help himself. And I suspect that someone who goes on an on with stories the way he does, is feeling at least somewhat conflicted and is trying to rationalize his (bad) behavior.

I think what he means by A.N.A. (in his case) is the Alzheimer's Nutball Association.

I am sure that one his touted coin buddies would give him a fair price for the coin if they truly believed it was a good coin for the grade. I still question his insanity for cracking it out of a MS63 slab, if it truly was in one to begin with.

JJ

Even if we give him the benefit of the doubt that the coin was once in an NGC 63 holder, he was deceitful in his first listing. In addition to including "NGC MS63 certified" (which the coin clearly wasn't at the time) in the listing title, he failed to mention that the coin had previously been graded less than MS63, or to note the grade on the NGC label that accompanied his photo.

He really can't seem to help himself. And I suspect that someone who goes on an on with stories the way he does, is feeling at least somewhat conflicted and is trying to rationalize his (bad) behavior.

My angle was more that if the heritage auction showed the same NGC barcode that he listed in the original auction, then the whole re-submitt story for several grades could be debunked. Either way, the guy has been less than honest about the origins and history of this coin.

JJ

What is the big deal about not showing the serial number? Does he think he will get penalized by NGC on subsequent submissions?