• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toner Merc., what would you grade it? Grade Revealed.

18 posts in this topic

Here's a fun coin I picked up at the San Jose coin show last month. What would you grade it?

The image was taken by Bruce Lee.

sh1943md.jpg

EDITED TO ADD: Grade revealed, see below.

Without the coin in hand it's just not posible to put a grade on a toner like this. However, just for the fun of it I'll give it a go.Assuming its in an NGC holder and there seems to be something going on with the 3 in the date and maybe some small ticks on the bands, I'll say...hmmm.. solid ms64 FB maybe 65FB. Ok, now you can go ahead and make me feel like a meat head and tell me it's an AU58 !..lol...I have a 43D blast white merc. I'm thinking about doing this same game with as soon as I figure out the image posting thing. CC

Hmmm... grading this coin from the pic is a tough one. Toning effects the way the light disperses in photos. I would first suspect the unidirectional streaking on the obverse and the untoned spots on the reverse as an 'old cleaning', naturally toned after the fact. But again, hard to tell from the photo. I don't see any issues or marks (but again, the toning/lighting can be deceptive on the photo). I love how miss liberty's eye is untoned giving her an evil appearance and the grurple (green/purple) toning on the left reverse is very nice.

From the photo, I would have to guess MS67FB

Thank you folks for the comments.

It is graded PCGS MS64FB.

I'm not a Merc. collector per se (although I do like the design), but this one appears undergraded to me. Anyhow, it's your basic fun coin.

I would have to agree I think it is undergraded by a point. Now I know the price guide says it is not worth it to upgrade that one point, but with the toning I thinkit might be worth it.

I would have to agree I think it is undergraded by a point. Now I know the price guide says it is not worth it to upgrade that one point, but with the toning I thinkit might be worth it.
Bruce and Sky, since you two have seen the coin in person - what flaws are apparent in person and not in the images which limit its grade to only 64 or 65? Thanks.

Bruce and Sky, since you two have seen the coin in person - what flaws are apparent in person and not in the images which limit its grade to only 64 or 65? Thanks.

I'd have to have it in hand Mark to give you a better answer to the above (it's currently at Bruce's), but I think the coin could go quite comfortably in a 65 holder. However, as Bruce mentioned, it's not worth it to go for the upgrade.

As to the toning, the obverse is unquestionably NT, and given that the coin is a 2 figure coin I can't see someone going to the trouble to try and AT the reverse. Normally when I see round dots of color, that to me is more indicative of AT than when I see round dots of silver. I'll be the first to admit I'm much more familiar with toning on Frankies, and the "marbled" look of the toning in the fields on the reverse in the section from about 1 to 3 o'clock would be a perfectly acceptable NT toning pattern for mint set Frankies.

I'd be intrigued Greg as to why you think this may be AT? I'm a reasonably old dog, but I'm always happy to learn new tricks.

Based on the picture, which may not convey a fully accurate representation of the toning, the things that jump out at me as being "scary" are on the reverse and are:

The blues seem too vibrant.

The colors seem to change rapidly without smooth progression.

The brilliant spots are awfully brilliant. Kind of out of place for a coin so deeply toned.

I still like the coin!

As for it being a 2 figure coin and not worthy of AT, the coin docs need to start out on something. You don't think they start out on 4 figure coins. smile.gif There is a coin doc that is fairly local to me. I see his work when he hangs the coins on the local bid board. He ATs lots of lower dollar coins. I used to see $20 Morgans, but now I see some mid-3 figure commems and seated coinage.

Having the coin in hand I will say this. The coin is very attractive looking. The toning appears natural. There are a few factors I think this coin stays at MS 65 FB, even though PCGS marked it MS 64 FB.

The Luster is a bit lacking for anything above MS 65, but givin it is toned luster is usally hidden a bit.

The Strike is just a tad soft on the obverse, but this could just be on par for the date / mintmark. I am not a merc guy, so I cannot say with 100%.

There are no real hits to speak of on this coin and I would have no problem calling this coin MS 65 FB. A combination of those things I my mind limit the grade to MS 65 FB. For comparison here is an NGC MS 65 FB.(Now I think this coin would upgrade. It is in an old no line fatty)

1941sm.jpg