• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet Another Guess The Grade--1955/55

23 posts in this topic

Ok, boys and girls, it's time to play our favorite game Guess The Grade!

You know how the game is played... I provide the image of a coin and you guess the grade. One problem is that because of a hardware failure, all I have is a good image of the obverse of this coin. But that may be enough to have a bit of fun.

So here it is... the King of All Errors... The classic 1955 Double Die Obverse. Beautiful doubling with beautiful details and nicely brown. Probably the most expensive coin in the Lincoln Cent series at equal grade. But now that it has been slabbed by NGC, the question is... What Is The Grade?

1955DDO.jpg

Scott acclaim.gif

I must be the loose-goose here, as it looks to me as if it might be a low grade AU. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I say that because it appears to have ample luster remaining and certain areas look to have only light wear.

Edited to add: I'd feel less uncomfortable in my guess if I could see a reverse image. confused-smiley-013.gif

Looks like XF 45 to me based upon luster and what I can see of the rims. The portrait of Lincoln (weak strike?) makes it tough for me to judge wear not being particularly adept at Lincoln grading in the first place. I'd sure like to see the reverse to be more sure....Mike

Ok... without my good camera (it's being fixed), I tried using my old Olympus D-100 1.3 megapixel camera to take a picture of the reverse of the coin through the slab. It does take a decent picture, but it's not like my 5.1 megapixel Canon, so the picture is only fair.

Let's see if this picture changes some minds:

1581186-1955DDO-rev.jpg

The coin is a nice chocolate brown. The color in the original picture is better than this and the same on both sides.

Now... what do you think?

Scott devil.gif

1581186-1955DDO-rev.jpg.c015a618e6b83334d151b30d989aea54.jpg

Sorry for the delay... tonight was "Teach The Puppy" Night. We finally convinced him to stay in his crate, so we're very happy!!

Anyway, Chris was the closest to the NGC assigned grade. Here's the full slab:

1584174-1955DDONGCAU58.jpg

Very sweet!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Or, to put it in WoodenJefferson's terms: about $1,900!! thumbsup2.gif

Scott yay.gif

1584174-1955DDONGCAU58.jpg.3bc5690dec8ddf0cd44ec4d66b129f84.jpg