• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Follow the lead picture post.
9 9

10,644 posts in this topic

I hope that it is not a problem that I take the liberty to post a coin with a slight disregard to the original rules, if its a problem I will delete the post =) Since it seems this thread has been slowly stuck on Jeffersons for the last 10 days I thought I'd shift down 100 years and post an 1838 cent:

18381cOBV.jpg

18381cREV.jpg

Maybe this will help the ball roll a little.

-Broc

Does anyone know what the "D" means on the Obverse?

Deriberpe. The French jeweler who engraved the die.

link....to CA gold

Thanks Count. That was very interesting. It looks like the $1 coin was made by Nouizillet. thumbsup2.gif

Nice Calif. frac there Bob. thumbsup2.gif I have read up on these and still don't know which ones are counterfeit and which ones aren't. There are so many varieties of these it's pethetic!! Christo_pull_hair.gif

You're right Bobby. It would be a pretty tough series for someone to try to collect. I've got 4 that I've had for about fifteen years and don't know jack about them. Or at least very little. confused.gif

WOW!!! There are a whole bunch of very cool coins here.

Nice looking Jeffersons Irvin, Rey and Tom. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Fun Large cents Broc, MBA, Winston and Larry. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Nice CBH TJ. thumbsup2.gif

Excellent year set there Richard!!! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif Is that a 100 year before your birthyear set or something? Whatever, it's COOL!

Bob, those are some fun CA. fractionals. thumbsup2.gif Given the era and the location I would assume that the D stands for Drunk. wink.gif

Any cal gold with a BEAR on it is a worthless token.

Every coin shop sees these by the trillions. (almost)

tscal5ic.jpg

A real one

(note that Deriberpe put "DERI" on this one)

Here are my other two. Note - No bears.

Even though graded by PCGS, the reverse looks like someone scrubbed the devil out of it.

cal71-2ob394-1.jpg

cal71-2re395-1.jpg

Not very photogenic

cal71ob392-1.jpg

cal71re393-1.jpg

Dang Rey, I think you were playing possum with us at first. You’ve suddenly got quite a collection

I noticed that a while back. Rey not only has a great assortment of rare and common varieties, but also an assortment that is in super condition. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Wintston and Bob,

Thank you for the kind words, not trying to play possum, it is just taking awhile to go through the collection thouroughly and correctly.

Still learning, and most definitely enjoying this fantastic hobby. Also enjoy and am very happy to be able to share the results of my Father's efforts over the years with all on here.

Rey