• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Follow the lead picture post.
9 9

10,644 posts in this topic

Beautiful coins Irvin, Larry and Bob!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I don't think it is the eagle I think it's the bib ,Or the chest if you will, Under the date that is holding it down...I had a 59 that had the same problem and they wouldn't even give it a Cam designation...

Yeah, it's the bib/chest. I just sent in a PR67CAMEO '53 that is quite nice to NCS/NGC and even though it looks great it still only cameod. It has the same thing going on on it's bib/chest.

Regarding '56s, while they are one of the three most common deep cameo Franklins they are only the third most common at NGC. The most common (by far) is the 1962, then comes the '63, and only then the '56.

Here's my second string 1956. I originally bought it as a PCGS PR68 (pre-cameo days). It currently resides in a NGC PR67UCAM. Yeah, I know, PCGS grades things much tougher than NGC. That's why they're worth more in a PCGS slab, right? devil.gif

FranklinN56_pr67ucam.jpg

Beautiful coins Irvin, Larry and Bob!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I don't think it is the eagle I think it's the bib ,Or the chest if you will, Under the date that is holding it down...I had a 59 that had the same problem and they wouldn't even give it a Cam designation...

Yeah, it's the bib/chest. I just sent in a PR67CAMEO '53 that is quite nice to NCS/NGC and even though it looks great it still only cameod. It has the same thing going on on it's bib/chest.

Regarding '56s, while they are one of the three most common deep cameo Franklins they are only the third most common at NGC. The most common (by far) is the 1962, then comes the '63, and only then the '56.

Here's my second string 1956. I originally bought it as a PCGS PR68 (pre-cameo days). It currently resides in a NGC PR67UCAM. Yeah, I know, PCGS grades things much tougher than NGC. That's why they're worth more in a PCGS slab, right? devil.gif

FranklinN56_pr67ucam.jpg

I think you guys are right, which is fine. I like the coin very much and I think it is graded correctly. thumbsup2.gif

Sy, that is a very clean looking "second stringer".

Thanks guys! Actually, if you look at the most forward lock of Ben's hair right at the collar line you will actually see that there is a frost break there. This is actually quite common with 1956 proof Frankies, and it does not seem to stop either service from DCAMing the coins. I personally agree with them. Anyhow, it drives me crazy frustrated.gif that they have that sort of an understanding about a common (raised) feature of 1956 proofs, and yet they hold that a recessed portion of 1953's that often has a frost break will take those '53's out of the running for DCAM status. For example, note that in Tomaska's book 4 out of the 5 1953 examples (plate coins # 17 - 21) have this issue. Arrrrgggghhhh!!!!

Oh NO! A ...break... in the frost on a lock of hair. FIE!

That relegates it to a pile of excrement.

WHO could have a coin in their collection with a ....shudder.... FROST BREAK?

At the risk of the ire of the board, I will state that this has gone just a BIT too far.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Oh NO! A ...break... in the frost on a lock of hair. FIE!

That relegates it to a pile of excrement.

WHO could have a coin in their collection with a ....shudder.... FROST BREAK?

At the risk of the ire of the board, I will state that this has gone just a BIT too far.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Count, all I was pointing out was the inconsistencies of the grading services. Obviously the frost breaks don't matter to me or I would not have bought the coin(s).

Count, all I was pointing out was the inconsistencies of the grading services.

Obviously the frost breaks don't matter to me or I would not have bought the coin(s).

No offense meant. I just had to vent about the near OBSESSION with frost that

is in the market. That coin is PRETTY!

smile.gif

Larry, that's a nice '59-D. Trying to find one with any color is tough. thumbsup2.gif

Rey, that's a fun '56. It's good to have the old mint set holder still. thumbsup2.gif

Here's another '56. The area that appears yellow is more of a sea foam yellowish green in hand.

Franklin56_66FBL.jpg

I like the colors that these franklins seem to get after awhile. Nice one Sky and yours too Winston. Ya'll remember the one I bought. It is toning. The spots look like *spoon* tho'.

1963franklin.jpg

Dang Sky, that 63 looks almost as good as mine! 27_laughing.gif Very nice Sky!! thumbsup2.gif

Your right Bobby that would be a close call 1832081-th_monkeyCA5WHWTJ.jpg1832081-36_1_11.gif

1832081-36_1_11.gif.12455cbda0f9da387f874486c1d06d8e.gif

Edited by rrantique

Larry and Saen, those be some mighty purty Frankies!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif That's particularly nice color for a '60 as there were no paper/cardboard mint sets.

We've done enough Frankies for a while (hard as I find that to say), so let's try something everybody probably has a few of. The images are courtesy of LucyBop.

57ms66fbl-5Sm.jpg

57ms66fbl-4Sm.jpg

57l-1Sm.jpg

57l-2Sm.jpg