• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you stop doing business with a coin dealer........

22 posts in this topic

because he has different personal beliefs. The dealer is a fair and honest man. You like the guy. But say he's a Pittsburgh Pirates fan and you like the Yankees and every time you come into his shop or go to the show, he faults the Yankees, or the current adminstration, etc. So his personal beliefs rub you the wrong way. Would you continue to do business or not?

PS- I know many dealers who never voice a personal opinion for the fear of losing business.

TRUTH

Let's see, If he ius fair and honest with good coins. I would dtill go in there to both buy coins and if I felt like having an friendy fight I would stop by and egg him on a bit. It might be good because he would get to know you on a personal level. CHRIS

No!! I would not continue to do business with this person.

For the simple reason that he puposely opened his mouth, just to irritate me.

I'LL SPEND MY MONEY ELSEWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike

---------------------

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Once I hit the submit button I got another thought in my mind. Do you own any books by Walter Breen? Great books and he knew alot about US coinage. Right? Do I not read them because I am against his liking little boys? Or do I read them because of the infomation in the books?

Geez...if I stopped doing business with all the folks who have different beliefs and opinions than me....I'd be living in a cave.

Now if the guy is being an anus about it, you can decide whether or not you want to put up with his [!@#%^&^] every time you see him...but not from a business aspect just because we don't agree. sumo.gif

Probably not. One of my favorite dealers is extremely liberal. I am a conservative. I still do a fair amount of business there. He has his opinions and I have mine. Were he to discuss his feelings in a mean way just to get me upset, then I would not do business with him.

Now, if he were a Mets fan, then that would be unforgivable.

If you dread going in then it is a problem and most likely not worth wasting your life's precious minutes on him. Or throw him a loop and say "hey, you know I come in to do biz with you and I'm tired of your opinion about (??), I would rather not discuss (??) and just buy/discuss coins. If that's a problem then I'll take MY MONEY else where."

A dealer is a dealer is a dealer, even a liberal dealer. I don't do business with dealers who are rude, act disreputable, or try to screw their customers. It's hard enough to find good dealers without throwing beliefs or politics into the mix too.

Well, it all depends. Difference of opinion is normal and accepting it can be adult. However, if he deliberately says things to get your goat, it becomes a personal issue and one of his/her not treating you with respect. This is something you will have to judge for yourself, because it can be so subjective. I would never work with a dealer who didn't treat me with absolute respect--as I define it for myself. There are plenty of dealers out there to choose from. Groundrules for interaction in relationships of any kind, are not unrealistic to establish.

I avoid dealers whom have sold me a Franklin then have turned around and bashed them in various threads... Ok, they are free to do that, I don't expect everyone to like this eyesore of a coin, but, they won't sell anything else to me, ever.

Honest Dealers are tough to stumble upon. Once I do it would take much much more than your scenerio to turn me away from completing business with him.

Most people I know -- both in business and in social situations -- have beliefs that materially differ from mine. We remain friends and do business together because we continue to value and respect one another as friends and associates.

Let's bring some detail into this discussion, rather than baseball teams and political philosophies. I dealt with a dealer once who I liked, and thought was fair in his dealing. Now shortly after the September 11th attacks, I was in his shop and he started ranting about how all this happened because of the "hook noses" (I think that was the term he used), and we never would have been attacked if the US didn't support Israel. Now, I am not Jewish, but I have many close friends that are Jewish, and I found it offensive. What would you have done in that situation?

Jtryka,

Good example. I tend to look white, but I am Latin, my children are mixed. I had some acquaintances that bad mouth latins, blacks and jews all the time in front of me, knowing my heritage and ethic background. They are truly 'good' hearted people, but I have to conclude that they are ignorant and leave it at that. I can speak up and give them 'an education', but what would that accomplish. So I let it go. By the way, I had lived next to them for 25 years and never had a problem.

TRUTH

No, simply for the fact that everyone has a right to voice their opinion. What makes this country great is the ability for everyone to have different opinions, while maintaining "somewhat of a harmonic society." (Although it can be disputed with valid reasons, but that's for a different subject.) If everyone was the same, we would all have boring lives, that's why I strongly support freedom of speech.

I would continue to do business with a person like this. We all have differences of opinion, that is what makes the world go 'round. The product should bring you into the establishmen, and if you are getting a fair deal, who cares about opinions, you can forget them as soon as you leave the store (with you new purchases in your pocket).

I support freedom of speech even if it comes from the mouths of hatemongers but I also support the freedom not to have to listen to it. Life's too short. As for the coin dealer, if he's so irritating that's it a dread going into his shop then I'd go someplace else. He wouldn't get a reason unless we bumped into one another someplace else and he asked why no business lately.

I am not Jewish, but if I was buying from a dealer who insulted Jewish people, I would stop buying from him or her. Simiarly, I am not black, but if I was buying from a dealer who insulted blacks, I would stop buying from him or her. Ditto for other races, ethnic groups, genders, religons, etc. I totally respect the fact that in our nation dealers (and all other people) are free to voice whatever opinions they want. But I also respect the fact that I am free to shop where ever I want.

I have some core values and I simply will not support someone who violates these values. Others may disagree. And still others may hold different core values. But, the beauty of our nation is that others ARE allowed to disagree and/or hold other core values if they so want!

So, in answer to the question, would I stop doing business with a coin dealer...yes, in certain cases, I most certainly would stop doing business.

Mark

Well, I have to admit, I took a cheesy way out in that I moved 200 miles away shortly after this, so as it ended up I never did much business with this dealer again. The point is, we each have our own threshold for pain, and our own lines in the sand that we will not cross. And whether it's race, religion, politics, or just that the guy smells bad, there is always a point where we stop dealing with a dealer.

Now let's turn the tables, what if you were the dealer, and the customer was the one who was racist, or a pinko commie hippie tongue.gif, or smelly, would you be able to ask them to leave and not return?

Life is too short to waste time being around people who irritate you. I don't give a rat's furry [!@#%^&^] about the dealer's personal beliefs, as long as he shuts up and keeps them to himself. Maybe the dealer enjoys the companionship of penguins. Do I care? No. Just don't ask me on a double date.

Beijim

Life is too short to waste time being around people who irritate you. I don't give a rat's furry [!@#%^&^] about the dealer's personal beliefs, as long as he shuts up and keeps them to himself. Maybe the dealer enjoys the companionship of penguins. Do I care? No. Just don't ask me on a double date.

Beijim

Well stated beijin!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like your style!!!!!!!

mike

----------------------------

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

for me i guess in my old age i would rather be happy than right if i looked for prefection then i would be all alone and that is no fun! and then i am not perfect myself!

if someone treats me good and as a dealer has knowledge intergrity and responsibility then i will be happy to know them

in all my years i finally found someone as per the above i guess i just get along with them and we see eye to eye and

i also have learned that they know more than me in every facet of things and i always learn from them!!

sincerely michael