• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,891 posts in this topic

Matt, that's a very pleasing piece. Quite possibly cleaned but still pleasing to me.

I'm sorry, but if it was "cleaned" as you say, wouldn't it have been in a details holder?

Matt, that's a very pleasing piece. Quite possibly cleaned but still pleasing to me.

I'm sorry, but if it was "cleaned" as you say, wouldn't it have been in a details holder?

No. Not at all. A TPG only tells you if a coin graded by those graders on that day meets the vague and various standards of "market acceptable" at that time. Plenty of coins which have been cleaned, tampered with, dipped, or otherwise treated are in slabs. I would estimate roughly 38% of coins in slabs have been cleaned, dipped, or tampered with, but still meet the criteria of "market acceptable" at the time they were slabbed.

All that being said - I don't see any problems or evidence of cleaning on that attractive half eagle.

I posted that Morgan up there thinking this was "follow the lead" as it was not a Recent Aquisition. Oh well.. this is.

Thanks Justin

2002_Toned_Obverse_ASE_Raw.jpg

To Me, a coin of that grade should have a little more crust on it. To Me, the color is slightly more yellow than I would have expected. So, To Me, the coin appears to have been cleaned at some point.

I read Jason's response and totally agree with his comments about cleaned coins making it to non detail holders. To Me, this is one of those examples, but don't let me sully your experience in enjoying this coin. I know it didn't change my opinion of the fact that I would love to have an example similar to this in my collection. The coin is devoid of a lot of the distracting marks you see on a coin of this grade and for that I find it quite pleasing regardless of the fact that To Me the coin appears to have had a light cleaning.

25c-1820_40p_04302015a_zpsf8wd9iv8.jpg

PCGS XF40. They didn't get the variety correct (again). This is a Medium 0 (not a Large 0 as noted on the slab). Dolts!

jopm

GS and jom, fantastico!

HT (who likes coins)

(thumbs u :roflmao:

The allusion is spot on.

I love the originality of the southern gold.

25c-1820_40p_04302015a_zpsf8wd9iv8.jpg

PCGS XF40. They didn't get the variety correct (again). This is a Medium 0 (not a Large 0 as noted on the slab). Dolts!

jopm

I like it very much!