• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,909 posts in this topic

Most recent medal. If you look closely it actually has three horses -- but two are pretty small. :) I added a close up of the "Promontory Golden Spike Ceremony". The detail is pretty amazing!

Original pamphlet text:

In 1869, the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad was a startling and dramatic event which captured the public imagination no less than the landing of the first man on the moon a century later. Not only did the steel track physically unite the nation, East and West, but it helped spiritually to heal the wounds of the Civil War with a unifying sense of great accomplishment and national unity. The locomotive pictured on the obverse is not one of the more than 150 shipped around the Horn (a journey which took from 3-9 months) to the Southern Pacific for its part in building the Western portion of the road. It is the "Sacramento", first locomotive in California, built by the Boston Locomotive Works in 1855 and used on the little Sacramento Valley RR. It has been chosen here as a symbol of the engineering achievement in the construction work, for its part in penetrating the Sierras. To speed construction, tunneling continued in the raw winter months when the brutal mountain weather precluded grading and track-laying. For the challenging Summit Tunnel at 7,042 feet, it was decided to sink a shaft at the middle of the site, and double the work rate by having crews work in both directions in 1866-7. The plan faltered due to difficulty in hoisting out the waste, until the "Sacramento" was sledged to the site in a frightening trip, where it served as an efficient hoisting engine. Later it was returned to motive work until it blew up at Latrobe in 1876. The reverse illustrates a wandering Indian observing the distant Golden Spike ceremonies on May 10, 1869, an event which signaled an abrupt end to his way of life.

what a neat medal this is. i like it :)

Brandon - love the medal, but particularly your close up shot. Fascinating! Wonder if that "injun" is thinking about a raid to break up the party!

Great new coins everyone!!

Ankurj that is a beautiful Barber and Brandon your medal is fantastic!!

like the reverse of the $1! I bet BRG is gonna get it for his horse collection!

Yep, just waiting for some to appear already graded. It's actually a very pretty design IMO, notwithstanding the fact that it has 4 horses in the design. ;)

Went on a bit of a hunt last night on ebay and picked these up .. all a bit grotty but cheep :grin:

1869nd-horz.jpg

seem to have been hunting one of these narrow / tall dates for an age on ebay 350 to 1 is the guide for them .. seems a lot more to me

KGrHqFlUE9mg50uBPsng0Fe-60_12.jpg

Typical rubbish pictures on ebay but picked these three up from the same seller

KGrHqRq4E-ZWZrPuCBPsnlb4pdg60_12.jpg

KGrHqFHJC8E-msrnIZ4BPsndMcq6g60_12.jpg

Great coins guys, I love that Morgan.

Here are my latest Ikes, a 1974 S MS67 and a 1974 S PR69 Dcam, both silver and the proof has some awesome rainbow tones developing!!

126090.jpg.460cd8ea1e9bb6408d92e49a42bbf3cf.jpg

126091.jpg.9537dcc9b0a4b7f1f47565a6ed0dd13b.jpg

126092.jpg.f7b1e919b56c29f71ee92b9ab4d6699f.jpg

126093.jpg.31ad9fdc96a5b29ec02b25e07bd90828.jpg

PCGS PF65 CAC. Larry Shapiro collection.

Interesting colors in those pictures. How does it actually look in hand?

Very deep toning which POPS when tilted in the light!

PCGS PF65 CAC. Larry Shapiro collection.

25539485_large.jpg

I always thought that dealers shouldn't collect ... as they keep too much

for themselves and not enough stock for customers. I was pleased to see

the beautiful Barber coins that Larry had in his collection and now they are

all for sale on his web site.

Ankur, you certainly cherry picked a beauty !!