• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,908 posts in this topic

Those bust halves are a couple of great finds

The first looks like the 1817/3 and the second is an o-108a which is an R4 :applause:

Very nice pickups

yes, the first is the overdate, the O-101a, and the second I guess is the O-108a, though my 3rd edition Overton book only lists the O-108, not the a.

Jason, I figured it was some new info that Parsley added in a later edition of the book than I have, but either way it's a fun one!

Here is my NEWP from the Houston Money Show. Most everything on the bourse I was interested in was listed from 50% and greater over MV prices in the established guides. This one was close to MV - i.e not too much above. I don't see how the dealers will sell anything when their prices are so over the top. On the other hand, it may be that my abilities to identify the very choice examples has increased and thus the MV guides are not applicable for these. Maybe, but one dealer was reasonable and made the effort to work with me on price. So here is the result of that, this one fits well into the set I am building for seated halves.

1841-OhalfNGCAU55CAC1.jpg

The is my MOH coin I purchased from the mint several months ago, but just got around to scanning. There was some dust on the scanner bed which shows up as white specs on the image, but the coin is spotless. I am cosidering sending this one to NGC for grading... what do you folks think? Would it be worth it? hm

BTW - some nice coins out there folks...this is great!!!

3332771_orig.gif1848589_orig.gif

Thanks Filthyhoard... I bought it without really checking the design that close. When I got it, I was really "wowed". Thanks for the advice on grading.... Yeah, I will probably just keep it tucked away for now.... I am hoping with all the $ I am investing in coins of various designs and descriptions, that some day I will be able to parcel them off for retirement... since social security is likely to provide me as much money as the tooth fairy the way it's looking.....

The is my MOH coin I purchased from the mint several months ago, but just got around to scanning. There was some dust on the scanner bed which shows up as white specs on the image, but the coin is spotless. I am cosidering sending this one to NGC for grading... what do you folks think? Would it be worth it? hm

This one is one of the best I've seen yet out there. I like :)

I like the MOH half eagle, but I just can't stand that "$5" denomination! It makes it look so cheap! Even so, I still bought one of each of those!

Beautiful coin, Crohnos!

Nice 1909 S! I am still searching for one..... Regardless of the photo, it looks pretty nice to me!

Yeah I liked it also. This is the 3rd one of these I have owned. I wish I still had the other 2, but traded them for other coins.

What's your goal for having it graded? If you are going the keep the coin a long time who cares what grade it is? To me, grading fees are a waste of money in this case.

However, if you plan to sell it you have to see what the down side is to the grading if it doesn't come back in, say, PR70.

For me, I like the coins in their original packaging...that allows me to save my money for other things than grading fees.

That's a pretty nice design.....the obverse liberty is pretty cool.

jom

Thanks Filthyhoard... I bought it without really checking the design that close. When I got it, I was really "wowed". Thanks for the advice on grading.... Yeah, I will probably just keep it tucked away for now.... I am hoping with all the $ I am investing in coins of various designs and descriptions, that some day I will be able to parcel them off for retirement... since social security is likely to provide me as much money as the tooth fairy the way it's looking.....

Mintage is supposed to be one of the lowest modern gold commems to date.

Nice 1909 S! I am still searching for one..... Regardless of the photo, it looks pretty nice to me!

I have sworn that the 1909-S V.D.B. will be the last coin I buy;

it means that I have finally finished my childhood collection of

Lincoln cents and there's nothing else left to buy.

:o

I have sworn that the 1909-S V.D.B. will be the last coin I buy;

it means that I have finally finished my childhood collection of

Lincoln cents and there's nothing else left to buy.

:o

lol.. well congradulations on finishing your childhood project... If you are like me, that means you only have x^12 collections to finish! I keep trying to be methodical and finish my Lincoln cent collection, dimes, and so forth, but then things like the current commemoratives, the ATB series, and so on come along and completely distract me.... I end up spending way more money than and I should and still don't have my collection finished.... sigh...