• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,909 posts in this topic

Thanks to Shane (a/k/a Kryptonitecomics) for working with me for a partial cash sale/trade on this rainbow toned Peace Dollar.

Yay! :golfclap::whee::golfclap:

jom

Personally, I really like that Peace Dollar and I can imagine

how difficult it must have been to locate one like that and the

cost must have been somewhat prohibitive.

I read ATS that most heavily toned Peace Dollars are more

than likely A/C [ artifical color ]. I don't collect Peace Dollars

[or Morgans for that matter ] but ... what causes this type of

toning ? Did the coin lay against a burlap bag at the Mint ?

Was the coin wrapped in a leather pouch ?

I'd really like to know - what causes this type of toning ?

Those are gorgeous! I think I need something to wipe the drool from my keyboard!

I had to refrain from the same thing except I was drooling on the coins. That IS why they use slabs for protection......right?

EL: That particular toning, as I've been saying in other threads, is from a bag. It has to be. I sure looks like the color you get on many toned Morgans...like your typical 81-S. I'm not sure that is easily replicated. Is this wrong? Anyone? I'd like to know.

jom

I read ATS that most heavily toned Peace Dollars are more

than likely A/C [ artifical color ]. I don't collect Peace Dollars

[or Morgans for that matter ] but ... what causes this type of

toning ? Did the coin lay against a burlap bag at the Mint ?

Was the coin wrapped in a leather pouch ?

I'd really like to know - what causes this type of toning ?

Most rainbow toned Peace Dollars are likely artificial toned, making true rainbow toning exceptionally rare. This coin demonstrates toning similar to that found on bag toned Morgan Dollars; I agree with Jom, it is from a mint bag.

Thanks to Shane (a/k/a Kryptonitecomics) for working with me for a partial cash sale/trade on this rainbow toned Peace Dollar.

Consignments59113.jpg

Consignments59111.jpg

Consignments59012.jpg

Don't let Jerseycat see that beautiful Peace Dollar, he may have a breakdown if he does. One of the best toned Peace Dollars I have ever seen. Congrats!

Don't let Jerseycat see that beautiful Peace Dollar, he may have a breakdown if he does. One of the best toned Peace Dollars I have ever seen. Congrats!

I had a crack at the coin, but I decided not to pursue it, as it doesn't fit into my goals (higher grade). That being said, it did make me think about re-evaluating my goals :)

I seriously had to keep my collector hat under lock and key with that coin around as every fiber in my body was screaming keep it lol

I have never seen a true rainbow Peace dollar like that in person and I have been to plenty of shows. The dealer I got it from did not want to sell it either and it wasn't even in his case. He overheard me asking another dealer about toners and he just wanted to show me the coin. I asked him if it was for sale and he told me I couldn't afford it....so I said how much and after I was able to swallow again I pulled out the cash :luhv:

I have never seen a true rainbow Peace dollar like that in person and I have been to plenty of shows.

Like I said elsewhere that is exactly the case for me. Admittedly though I don't look for Peace or Morgan dollars all that much so your experience is greater. That color looks like it was pulled right off a Morgan...one sided and same pattern. Weird.

Were there Peace dollars in any of the bags released by the mint in the 60s/70s? I had heard there were Seated Dollars....not sure about the Peace dollar though.

jom

Thanks!

I seriously had to keep my collector hat under lock and key with that coin around as every fiber in my body was screaming keep it lol

I have never seen a true rainbow Peace dollar like that in person and I have been to plenty of shows. The dealer I got it from did not want to sell it either and it wasn't even in his case. He overheard me asking another dealer about toners and he just wanted to show me the coin. I asked him if it was for sale and he told me I couldn't afford it....so I said how much and after I was able to swallow again I pulled out the cash :luhv:

To be honest, I was a bit surprised that you didn't keep it for your personal collection. By any chance, would you happen to have any information on the Patriot Pedigree? Are there a few more of these out on the market or tucked away in collections? My search has been fruitless.

I have never seen a true rainbow Peace dollar like that in person and I have been to plenty of shows.

Like I said elsewhere that is exactly the case for me. Admittedly though I don't look for Peace or Morgan dollars all that much so your experience is greater. That color looks like it was pulled right off a Morgan...one sided and same pattern. Weird.

Were there Peace dollars in any of the bags released by the mint in the 60s/70s? I had heard there were Seated Dollars....not sure about the Peace dollar though.

jom

Peace Dollars were released in the GSA soft packs, but I'm not sure if the mint actually sold them in large quantities. From what I can gather, GSA Peace Dollars are relatively scarce and any bags were likely opened and broken up to disperse them as single coins.

To be honest, I was a bit surprised that you didn't keep it for your personal collection. By any chance, would you happen to have any information on the Patriot Pedigree? Are there a few more of these out on the market or tucked away in collections? My search has been fruitless.

I couldn't find anything either so it might have been a submitter with a large collection that paid extra to have that notated on the holder.....at least that is the speculation?

That's my best guess as well. I am curious if there are any more like this. I have been researching the topic ATS, at cointalk, and a few other websites, and the number of true rainbow peace dollars is even rarer than I expected (I thought that a Google search would reveal at least 30 or so out of the millions and millions that were made). Most had some pleasant toning, but hardly what I would call true rainbow toning.

They are rare as hens teeth as the old saying goes. I have seen a couple of high grade dolalrs with the speckled rainbow toning that are quite nice but nothing that looks like banded rainbow Morgan and nothing that looks 100% legit like this coin so you have an exceptional piece or Peace...for sure :acclaim: