• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,909 posts in this topic

I just picked up this coin recently. It is a piece that I had always wanted, but never thought I would be able to obtain.

What an absolutely fantastic pickup Tom All I can say is INCREDIBLE hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

You didn't find that while cleaning out your basement did you?

It is a piece that I had always wanted, but never thought I would be able to obtain

Maybe there is hope for me then 893scratchchin-thumb.gif. Love that Pine Tree Shilling 893applaud-thumb.gif

just a couple of raw morgans i picked up the other day

1884-0 any one wanna comment on the brown spots?

MVC-021S.jpg

MVC-022S.jpg

1885-o looks alot nicer in hand dripping with luster i just cat take pictures worth a darn

MVC-023S-1.jpg

MVC-024S-1.jpg

I just picked up this coin recently. It is a piece that I had always wanted, but never thought I would be able to obtain.

1861116-mg102.jpg

1861118-mg102r.jpg

I love it hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

a very worthwhile coin to have and becoming more scarce each year.

Russ,

Its hard to tell from the pictures of course but to me they resemble dip burns which usually result when there is a contamination already on the surface which doesn't play nicely with the chemicals in your typical coin dip like jewel luster. Sometimes another dip can resolve the issue but may make it worse. If that is a consideration for you you may try neutralizing the coin first with acetone, which in itself may help remedy the situation. Another consideration is an olive oil or witch hazel soak, or just to leave it alone. If it is actively corrosive it may continue to further impair the coin. Its a rough situation if you aren't familiar with conservation, but if you are the best option is of course to fix the problem. They are both nice coins over all, I really like the 85-O.

Here is seller pics of one I recently nabbed on eBay, I can't wait to see it.

8456_1.JPG

-Broc

Russ,

Its hard to tell from the pictures of course but to me they resemble dip burns which usually result when there is a contamination already on the surface which doesn't play nicely with the chemicals in your typical coin dip like jewel luster. Sometimes another dip can resolve the issue but may make it worse. If that is a consideration for you you may try neutralizing the coin first with acetone, which in itself may help remedy the situation. Another consideration is an olive oil or witch hazel soak, or just to leave it alone. If it is actively corrosive it may continue to further impair the coin. Its a rough situation if you aren't familiar with conservation, but if you are the best option is of course to fix the problem. They are both nice coins over all, I really like the 85-O.

Here is seller pics of one I recently nabbed on eBay, I can't wait to see it.

8456_1.JPG

-Broc

thanls that gives me a starting point! i love morgans! and thats a nice one ya t there thumbsup2.gif

Yesterday I picked this up from the post office for my type set from James (EarlyUS). I took the photos in a rush so I will try to redo the reverse photo later in the week.

1859p1dobv.JPG

1859p1drev.JPG

Well see, Tom, what they dint tellya is that them old pine tree things was from Massachusetts where they had WITCHES! And, well, that coin looks CURSED to me. If I had it, I could exorcise it and bury it for you.

Why take chances? Send it now.

Tom, EXCELLENT pickup there!!! hail.gifyay.gif Always nice to see a coin with real history. BTW do you know what the XII stand for? I assume it's 12 of some sort.

Russ, those are some fun O mint coins. thumbsup2.gif

Broc, I dig the EOR look of your coin. 893applaud-thumb.gif

JT, that's a fun looking dollar. thumbsup2.gif

I didn't even catch that until you mentioned it Bruce. I thought it was haze. BTW, welcome home. It's nice to get away from time to time isn't it?

NIce SBA Bobby. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Russ, Bruce, and Bob. If I hadn't black marked out the lettering at the end of my lens you would have seen "canon" in the proof. 27_laughing.gif

Great coins posted since I posted my last new addition. thumbsup2.gif This one arrived from Carl Wohlforth. grin.gif Cracked out and in my 7070. Care to guess the grade?

DSCN3681A.jpg

DSCN3681.jpg

DSCN3682.jpg

Nice Buffalo Lee. What great toning. thumbsup2.gif I'm lousy grading these, but based on the only one I own, the toning and great luster I could see it as MS65-66. 'tis a beauty.

Bruce, those are some attractive coins!! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif Did you check out the mint in Carson City?

Bobby, that's a good looking SBA. thumbsup2.gif It's fun to see one with the 1999 date on it.

Nice looking Buffalo, Lee. thumbsup2.gif

I was expecting to get a MS65FBL 1948-D Franklin on approval in the mail sometime in the second week in July. By Murphy's Law 1 day after mailing out 2 groups of coins to be imaged, the Frankie came in the mail. It took me all of some fraction of one second to "approve" it. For a '48-D it is a SCREAMER and will definitely (the good Lord willing) be imaged some time in the not too distant future. Mint set toning has progressed to the dark grey stage on about 10-15% of the obverse, and 35-40% of the reverse. HOWEVER, the rest of the coin is a deep red with some nice iridescent green on both sides. It's very clean for the grade too.