• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,909 posts in this topic

Bruce, that's a mighty NICE lookin' 62!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Oh, and I just had a major pickup... for $8 at a local coin show today I bought a raw '54-D Frankie in 62-3 with nice light blue and amber album toning on the right side of the obverse. Sorry no picture.

Here is my Most recent to add t my Proof Set collection - I had to upgrade the Lincoln to match the rest of the set. Tough to get all type 2's together but there they are enjoy ... yay.gif

1485576-new_1979_typ2.jpg

1485576-new_1979_typ2.jpg.3253aa5313a92832395a1b17767ff558.jpg

Here's a proof Columbus Quincentenary Half Dollar that I picked up recently. I'm not a great fan of modern commemoratives, but I find that some of them which celebrate actual historic events to be very compelling - (as opposed to the world cup or the latest Olympics) thus I much prefer commems such as the 500th anniversary of Columbus landing in America or 100 years since the Wright Brothers' first flight. Anyway, I bought this coin in the original packaging for $13.50 - what I thought was a pretty nice deal. I also like the fact that it sort of goes with my 1893 Columbian Exhibition half. Opinions welcomed.

1486241-850.jpg

1486241-850.jpg.d5d77db848c9d98eb8f9a35b76d132b0.jpg

Edited by pendragon1998

Thanks, Tom. I think it's safe to say I've improved quite a bit since I started taking photos of coins. I've gotten a bunch of good advice from y'all on the forum and that, combined with exaustive practice, has improved my skills.

By the way - did you get my PM, Tom?

I really like the toning on the obverse of that coin. It almost looks like Liberty is looking at a star (the light-colored dot around 10-11 o'clock). Attractive rufous and green toning as well. takeit.gif

Here's a proof Columbus Quincentenary Half Dollar that I picked up recently.
Sweet coin and excellent price! The other modern commem with a ship I like is the Leif Ericson 2000 millenium dollar.

I truly feel like a jerk for writing this Chad but, no, I don't like the coin at $10 if for no other reason that you might have found an original and attractive VF for fairly little extra money.

I truly feel like a jerk for writing this Chad but, no, I don't like the coin at $10 if for no other reason that you might have found an original and attractive VF for fairly little extra money.

Hum…I don’t know if Tom really feels like a jerk 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Tom, your brutal honesty & knowledge without bias is what makes you cool. thumbsup2.gif You’d never make it on your sympathy alone...no chance shakehead.gif

$10 from PCGS BST forum. Like?

1853Quarter1.jpg

That's an aweful coin! Chad, you should never, ever settle for a problem coin regardless of the reasons!!! A lower grade? Sure. But don't acquire the habit of buying coins with "buts": It is a nice coin...but.

This coin is so unworthy to be in your collection. frown.gif

p.s. And I don't feel like a jerk for saying so. wink.gif

maybe the two of you can elucidate what it is you don't like about the coin so that Chad can see what it is that you are seeing?

edited to add: maybe in a pm? unless Chad feels otherwise. it could be lesson for a lot of us here.

Edited by MikeKing

That's a fair enough request, Mike. I would first like to state that the only reason I came out so negative on the coin in a public fashion was because Chad had asked if we liked his coin. Stating that I liked it would have been actively deceptive while silence would have been passively deceptive. Therefore, I decided to be honest.

I've taken the image of the coin and crudely circled and color coded the areas of the coin that bother me. The image is as follows-

1489597-Quarter.jpg

The areas in red are what I consider to be fairly major rim nicks or dents and as you can see, there are four on the obverse and two on the reverse. Unless the coin has a rotated die, these rim dents and nicks do not correspond to one another, obverse to reverse, and so I think of them as all being individual hits. There are four on the obverse and two on the reverse for a total of six fairly obvious to severe rim nicks. The area in yellow on the obverse may be an artifact of the image or it might be another area of the rim that is chewed away by some post-Mint damage. If it is damage, then there are seven areas on the rim that show problems.

The area in light green on the obverse is meant to also encompass the red area directly adjacent to it. This area looks very much like it has been deformed in the past and is either slightly thinner than the rest of the coin or is still not flat with the rest of the coin. It may simply be a stain, but the way that star one also appears altered makes this area look like it was pinched. The obverse field, circled by blue, simply looks too devoid of dirt, grime, skin or whatever name one might give residual dirt and oils. Again, it may be the way that I am interpreting the image, and I may be incorrect, but it also may be a sign that the obverse was lightly washed to lighten it up.

The reverse has four areas circled with pink in addition to the red areas mentioned previously. The pink areas circle what appear to be stains, gunk or debris within the rays. This type of effect can be completely original or, in many cases, can be a sign that someone lightened the coin up with a soap and water bath but could not get the dirt or stains removed from the voids in the intricate details of the design.

Overall, my impression is that the areas in red are a sign that the coin has seen more than average damage. The yellow, blue and green areas may be artifacts or might be real however, if the green area was truly pinched at one time then there is serious damage to the coin. The pink and blue areas might be innocent bystanders or they could be witnesses to a coin that was lightened. Obviously, I have not examined the coin in-hand, nor have I had any previous owner of the piece give me an analysis of it, but the readily apparent rim damage makes me believe that my interpretation of the image may be accurate on some levels. Additionally, the coin appears to have F15 details, which would make it worth approximately $30 and is a desired one year type. In my experience, problem-free coins in mid-grade do not typically sell for around 30% of their market value unless they truly aren't problem-free.

1489597-Quarter.jpg.aaaf72ede53c8ea1b4918f290ec96fec.jpg

I think Tom's most gracious post (and thank you Tom) really objectifies the difference between collector worthy and not so worthy. I think this has made it a great learning post, something I could have used when I was starting out. It's critique like this, when self imposed, enables you to purchase wisely, rather than being set up for dissapointment.

The only thing is, I dare not ask Tom to color code MY coins, God only knows I would probably shudder!

Anyway, I agree, summarily, the coin is damaged (I believe seriously) and better could be had, and say this (as I'm sure Tom and Victor had in mind) not as a blind criticism, but as a criticism to enable Chad and others, to make choices in the future that they would not regret (for collecting reasons) later on.

edited to add the word 'seriously'

Edited by MikeKing

Tom, your brutal honesty & knowledge without bias is what makes you cool. thumbsup2.gif You’d never make it on your sympathy alone...no chance shakehead.gif

thumbsup2.gif I whole heartedly agree.

thumbsup2.gif I whole heartedly agree.
Excellent job of explaining your opinion as well Tom...I learned a Lot from it.

Thanks thumbsup2.gif

I like it! Sure, it's got some problems, but I like it.

Why do you like it?

I don't know... It kind of fits in my type set well, lower grade, problem coins together ina type set. Not going for something extravagant, its just what I collect.

Chad,

I also don’t like the coin at all, and would never have bought it. There is no need for me to go into why because Tom has already covered anything I would have told you.

One thing I will say, and it pains me to say it, is that you will never have a collection you can be proud of if you continue to buy the way you are now. The nicest collections are those that consist of quality coins assembled by collectors who take their time and wait for the right coin before buying. This is true regardless of the grade or prices of the coins that makeup the collection.

Slow down, take your time, the coins will be there. Save your money for quality coins, even if it means that your collection is smaller and you go longer between purchasing coins.

I don’t say this to be hurtful in any way and sincerely hope you take some time to think about the advice that some of us are giving you.

John

I WANTED A LOW GRADE COIN FOR MY TYPE SET!!!!!!!!!

Awesome, nobody else likes it. Thats fine with me! I LIKE IT!

The basis of my set is low grade/problem coins. I was not trying to make an exceptional set, rather a much more doable low grade one.

One thing I will say, and it pains me to say it, is that you will never have a collection you can be proud of if you continue to buy the way you are now.
Don't you mean he will never have a collection that other people will approve of? He seems to like it perfectly fine which is fine as long as he doesn't dramatically overpay. The nice thing about collecting is that you can upgrade the coins over time.

Thanks Zoins! In the end, collecting is about whether or not I like the coin(s), and not about if others approve. True, I asked your opinions, but only to strike up small conversation (which seems to have turned into a hatred conversation). I like it just fine, and can't wait to get it.

I WANTED A LOW GRADE COIN FOR MY TYPE SET!!!!!!!!!

Awesome, nobody else likes it. Thats fine with me! I LIKE IT!

The basis of my set is low grade/problem coins. I was not trying to make an exceptional set, rather a much more doable low grade one.

You do know Chad that we all actually like you and that if you like it thats fine with us..But because we like you we will continue to be Honest and forthright with our opinions. when you say this, I was not trying to make an exceptional set, rather a much more doable low grade one. Don't be upset when you are told that That coin belongs in a "No Grade set".

Thats $10.00 that could have been used better.

It's a part of learning that we all go through...Be patient and enjoy thumbsup2.gif