• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,912 posts in this topic

Well Chad, you asked if we liked it. Some of us took the time to offer opinions and advice. Whether you want to take that advice is up to you. confused-smiley-013.gif

It’s your money you are spending, and it’s your coin, so if you like it that’s fine by me. thumbsup2.gif

John

Thanks Zoins! In the end, collecting is about whether or not I like the coin(s), and not about if others approve. True, I asked your opinions, but only to strike up small conversation (which seems to have turned into a hatred conversation). I like it just fine, and can't wait to get it.

Chad, no one hates you. They are just saying (and I agree) that the coin has issues. You know these issues and you like it anyway. That's great! It's differences that make the world go round.

But there is a difference between low grade and low grade problem-free. I also am working on a low-grade type set, mainly because of my limited budget. But problem coins are out there! (I know because I have bought a few. wink.gif ) My aim is to replace these with problem free examples. smile.gif (I only have a couple baddies that I know of...)

I can PROMISE you that there are low-grade eye appealing coins out there to be had! Patience, my friend. smile.gif

-Amanda

PS- Ten bucks isn't bad, I guess and if it makes you smile, then it's worth it.

Well Chad, you asked if we liked it. Some of us took the time to offer opinions and advice. Whether you want to take that advice is up to you. confused-smiley-013.gif

It’s your money you are spending, and it’s your coin, so if you like it that’s fine by me. thumbsup2.gif

John

John, the adivce that you gave is great... On coins NOT for my type set. If/when I am buying my St. Gaudens, I will go through a lot for a nice example for the money. This coin was not one of those cases, however.

Don't you mean he will never have a collection that other people will approve of? He seems to like it perfectly fine which is fine as long as he doesn't dramatically overpay. The nice thing about collecting is that you can upgrade the coins over time.

No, that is not what I mean. I chose my words carefully and meant exactly what I wrote.

John

One thing I will say, and it pains me to say it, is that you will never have a collection you can be proud of if you continue to buy the way you are now.
Don't you mean he will never have a collection that other people will approve of? He seems to like it perfectly fine which is fine as long as he doesn't dramatically overpay. The nice thing about collecting is that you can upgrade the coins over time.
No, that is not what I mean. I chose my words carefully and meant exactly what I wrote.
I get the feeling he can be proud of that coin right now. And depending who he shows his type set to, they may think it's great. The important thing is that he understands the issues. Whether or not his attitude will change over time is a different issue.

How dare you post a coin to this thread!!! sign-rantpost.gif

Just kidding! grin.gif The reverse image makes it look like it is a late die state, how are the dentils in-hand? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Zoins,

Chad, you, or anyone else can buy whatever type of coins you like and if the person is proud of what they bought that’s great, but if that same person then posts a coin with multiple, major problems and asks what we think about it, it would be doing that person a disservice to be untruthful and pretend that the coin was fine. This is especially true if that person is a young collector.

You seem to have taken exception to what I wrote to Chad, but I notice you never mentioned what you think about the coin, so let me ask you what do you think about it. Is that a coin that you would recommend someone buy? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

John

Would I? It depends. If they were looking for something along the lines of the condition/problems of the coin, I'd reccomend it to them. I was looking for something like it, so I bought it.

You seem to have taken exception to what I wrote to Chad, but I notice you never mentioned what you think about the coin, so let me ask you what do you think about it. Is that a coin that you would recommend someone buy?
What I took exception to isn't your opinion of the coin, it's your judgement of how Chad will feel about it. You are not Chad. You know how you will feel about it, but how Chad will feel about it is up to him, not you. As for whether I would recommend that coin to someone, like Chad, it depends on what they are looking for. $10 isn't like a down payment on a house and many people spend that much and more for lunch.

Chad, I among many others like you and appreciate your contributions to the boards. This is the only reason that knowledgeable opinions were given to you and why you're not being flamed because of your outbursts.

Of course a collector should collect what they like but it is best to acquire constructive collecting patterns as a beginning numismatist. Sure, ten bucks ain't much but what about when you are making $100K a year? Will you still be nonchallent on a bad buy costing a thousand bucks, five thousand??

As Amanda said, there is nothing wrong with a lower circulated grade, just try to avoid obviously damaged coins.

I just have a F'ish 1853 quarter now my darn self. It is fine for now until I upgrade. It just cost me twenty dollars and it filled the void until I can do better.

1490897-ve1853sq.jpg

1490897-ve1853sq.jpg.6969e1c92396dfbefa472e354bdc349d.jpg

My judgment of how I believe Chad will feel about the coin is based upon reading many of his posts, as well a few PM’s that I have had with him. Pm’s that you were not privy to I might add. You really have no idea what I based my judgment on.

John

My judgment of how I believe Chad will feel about the coin is based upon reading many of his posts, as well a few PM’s that I have had with him. Pm’s that you were not privy to I might add. You really have no idea what I based my judgment on.
You seem to have taken this very personally. Please relax, it's just an internet forum. It's not a big deal.

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice, and their opinions. I guess that this will be a coin that I will have for a very long time.... Because everybody hates it 27_laughing.gif

Thanks again!

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice, and their opinions. I guess that this will be a coin that I will have for a very long time.... Because everybody hates it 27_laughing.gif

Thanks again!

It’s not that we don’t like you, we do. We just get frustrated that you’re such a slow learner laughing1.gif

Thanks again!

It’s not that we don’t like you, we do. We just get frustrated that you’re such a slow learner laughing1.gif

I can be stubborn! Most of my family is that way makepoint.gif

Thanks again!

All joking aside, I do think you dismiss the opinions of knowledgeable people far too quickly. I think you do yourself a disservice in doing so.

I made a number of coin collecting mistake before I found this forum. I still make some mistakes, but they are significantly less frequent and they are for significantly smaller monetary amounts.

It’s okay to accept someone else’s opinion on a subject. I know that most folks here have significantly more experience in coin collecting than myself. I take what knowledge is offered to me – it’s not such a bad thing thumbsup2.gif

Thanks again!

All joking aside, I do think you dismiss the opinions of knowledgeable people far too quickly. I think you do yourself a disservice in doing so.

I made a number of coin collecting mistake before I found this forum. I still make some mistakes, but they are significantly less frequent and they are for significantly smaller monetary amounts.

It’s okay to accept someone else’s opinion on a subject. I know that most folks here have significantly more experience in coin collecting than myself. I take what knowledge is offered to me – it’s not such a bad thing thumbsup2.gif

I don't want to get back into this... I think some who offered advice were under the impression that this is a coin that I wanted just to have. That's not true. It's going in my low grade/problem coin type set. It was just $10 and I like it. People were getting on my case saying that it was a bad purchase... 893blahblah.gif but it was a coin I was looking for.

John

The coin is a J767 struck in aluminum and one of 6 estimated struck most likely for presentation purposes which would make this more of a fantasy piece than a true pattern.

Mark

John

The coin is a J767 struck in aluminum and one of 6 estimated struck most likely for presentation purposes which would make this more of a fantasy piece than a true pattern.

Mark

You know ,,when Boiler posts I KNOW I won't be dissappointed... thumbsup2.gif