• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,913 posts in this topic

I thought I recognized that telltale look of aluminum. wink.gif

Actually, I have quite a few world coins and a medal or two that were struck in aluminum and I’ve taken a likening to such pieces.

Cool coin you have there Mark. thumbsup2.gif

John

That's a beautiful piece, Boiler! It's unclear to me when the 10-piece set of which it was part (as a subsequent upgrade) was dismantled. Have you seen any of the other 767s?

Edited to add: Oops. I was typing while you were responding to John.

Edited by IGWT

Wow, that was a fairly rare metal in 1869. I don't think it became widely available until about 30 years later.

JJ

Exactly. Aluminum was rarer than gold in 1886. I think the teens saw a pick up in aluminum usage.

Well, I was jonesing for a new type coin and almost bought a MS64 but, I used considerable constraint and got this AU53 instead.

1493577-1857FECent.jpg

p.s. Lee, that 1850 Large Cent is sizzling! Wowser! hail.gif

1493577-1857FECent.jpg.b2c57e44222a7fef918771e2d4ac6077.jpg

Here's one I just got yesterday. I have posted before that I am a sucker for duplicates. I seem to be trying to corner the market on these as this is my seventh 1864. Each of them are different and special and though I keep thinking that I will sell some I can't decide which to part with. It also didn't hurt that this one went cheap on eBay.

Notice the obverse has several rim cuds and a die crack around 9:00. There's also something odd about the reverse but I just can't quite put my finger on it... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1864_7s.jpg

Here's another one that just came today. The strike is above average for this series. Both dies show excess wear, especially the reverse die which left the distinct texture on the reverse fields.

1493788-1853_2s.jpg

1493788-1853_2s.jpg.46b2c0cdb2ba378a766148c9804257c1.jpg

There are some very cool coins on this page. Leeg, you have significant red remaining on that large cent, which image do you think is closer to its actual color? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I would guess that the larger image (top) is most accurate. RGT, you're not kidding that your trime has extensive die erosion. Wow! Is your 1864 two-center a rotated die? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There are some very cool coins on this page. Leeg, you have significant red remaining on that large cent, which image do you think is closer to its actual color? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I would guess that the larger image (top) is most accurate. RGT, you're not kidding that your trime has extensive die erosion. Wow! Is your 1864 two-center a rotated die? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for the compliments folks. thumbsup2.gif Another super coin from coinguy1. Tom the larger pic's are spot on as far as the color goes. smile.gif

Super trime RGT 893applaud-thumb.gif

Is your 1864 two-center a rotated die? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Rotated die? Oh, that's what looked odd about the reverse. grin.gif

Yes, I imaged it just as it sits in the slab. I've heard of 1864's comming with 180 degree rotations but this is the first one I've seen rotated like this. The seller called it 70 degrees, but I think it might be just a bit less than that.

It was graded MS64 Brown by NGC and was a bit difficult to photograph. I think it was due to the mixture of brown with red highlights and I took several tries before I managed to get the exposure and lighting correct.

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice, and their opinions. I guess that this will be a coin that I will have for a very long time.... Because everybody hates it 27_laughing.gif

Thanks again!

If that coin were an 'exceedingly rare' coin, I can assure you that it would get a glamorous review by any one of the major auction firms, where every dent and ding would suddenly become inconsequential .

And if some certain dealers had it in their inventory and wanted to sell it they would hype it up like there was no tomorrow.

If it got into PCGS plastic, another would be saying they didn't know why PCGS wouldn't give it a higher grade.

But when you try to sell it to any of the above...yes, you'll be holding it for a long time 27_laughing.gif

These are just from my own personal experiences with auction firms, dealers and what not...so been there, done that, and probably still doing that!!! 893whatthe.gif

But I think the message here was not vitriol, rather, it's like my violin teacher used to tell me (years ago). 'When you come in here, I don't want to hear any wrong notes, if you do that, go somewhere else for lessons. If you don't give me purity of tone, don't bother pulling that bow accross the strings. If you play me a piece, play it in the rhythym in which it was written. But what you do when you get out of here, is to do entirely what you WANT to do, and what INSPIRES you.'

In other words, she hit me over the head with a hammer only to prepare me and better enable me to express mySELF.

So I think all the above has been in good faith for everyone involved.