• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legend News Release

34 posts in this topic

I just got Legend's latest customer email and thought I'd pass this tidbit along [steve is a board member here]:

LEGEND WELCOMES A NEW ASSOCIATE

Business has been great. As many of you know we have been bursting at the seams with activity. In order to satisfy demand, we are pleased to welcome Steven. C. Liu to our team. If you have attended any major auction sales

in NYC, Steve has been a fixture there for years. He is well respected for his knowledge and collecting love of Seated Dollars. He has been a coin collector since his early teen's. Steve's "pedigree" includes: Age: 36, dual degrees in Math and History from Rutgers University, and several years in

a high level executive IT position at Goldman Sachs. He is now living out his dream of working in the coin business.

Steve loves to chat about coins. Please feel free to contact Steve anytime at Steve@legendcoin.com He'd love to chat and help build you a dream collection!

Nice to hear the "official" word about him. cool.gif I'm happy for Steve and hope that his pursuits are more than satisfying. I also hope he'll always remain a collector first (schizophrenic as he is) shocked.gifblush.giflaugh.gifwink.gif .

Hoot

It is very nice to see it publicly written. Now, I hope this does not muzzle [...] on the boards since he simply knows too much and is too valuable a board member to have that happen.

I think that from now on Steve should be referred to in writing only as [...] !!!!

It reminds me of the evolution of Prince, who became "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince" and thence "The Artist," but who later replaced even this name by an unpronouncable hieroglyph, referred to obliquely as "The Glyph" (which was not his name, but rather the name of the symbol used to represent his existence).

Now, perhaps, [...], being thereby typographically deprived of his former screen name(s), will no longer be able to vote for his own Registry Set under both of them, thus winning the competition for the set with the best descriptions by one vote. blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif (Guess whose shield nickel set was the runner up !!!) laugh.gif Oh yeah, I forgot, my shields were tied with TDN's MS Trade dollars. Nice company to be in !!!

Obviously I need to work for Laura too !!!

Sunnywood

Steve asked me to post this for him:

"Thanks for all the kind words. I am very excited about this opportunity, but because of the folks from whom I'll be learning as well as the general fact that I'll be more able to see so many more coins!

I will continue to post on here as time and topical interest allow. As for my online identity, does it really matter?!?"

Steve

PS - I can read emails sent to me at Steve@legendcoin.com starting now.

Sunnywood,

Here in Minnesota, we have had to deal with the tantrums of the "purple one" for far to long. When he went from "Prince" to "The Aritst Formerly Know as Prince", we simply renamed him "Symbolina", as he represented himself with some sort of hieroglyphic.

Andy laugh.gif

Andy,

SYMBOLINA !!!! LOLOL that is too funny !!!!

Stevie, oops I mean [...] - we're just giving you a hard time !!! But I'll drop it wink.gif

Best of luck with Legend !!!!!!!!!!

Sunnywood

What the heck kind of name is symbolina? What are you some kinda singing dancing coin collector dealer? I really hope you don't post much with that name as I can see me getting a real headache!

Oh yeah, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I really hope you and Legend really do well together!

Hi everyone!!!

Thank you all for the warm words!!! I just wrapped up my first official week as a professional rare coin dealer... As a former collector-only coin person, I like to share my thoughts with you. (Why? Because people asked!)

As is typical of any job in any industry, it is important to have a good time and to work with folks who are genuinely competent and nice. When I first considered this move, I didn't really know L & G *that* well. I was fairly confident that they're nice people, but it's amazing just how good of a fit I think they are with me. The fit is multi-faceted: integrity, extra-curricular interests (baseball, food and animals) and a healthy dose of family-style humor and chop-busting.

I also didn't know much about them as coin people. I assumed that they were very competent as business people, but lots of coin dealers aren't extremely knowledgeable about coins. I found out rather quickly just how much I can learn from them: the biz as well as about numismatics in general.

I don't want to paint a picture of them as perfect, all-knowing coin dealers who are better than everyone else. I make no representation about them relative to anyone else. I am simply happy that I found what appears to be a good home. (Of course, I still need to produce!)

My first days there coincided with their return from the CSNS show. Immediately following a major show is a flurry of busy activity getting the newps to market. That is a lot of hard work -- harder than I ever realized from the collector side of the table! Imaging, writing descriptions, inventorying -- all that has to be done well and quickly.

Laura does the bulk of the descriptions. As we all know, Laura is no Eudora Welty! And, talk about the pain of getting a 3D object like a coin transferred into a 2D image w/o losing any luster, color, depth, clarity and contrast... Normally, DMPLs and PFs are the hardest, and MS the easiest. Well, we have this Walker that has so much luster that no amount of scanner and camera technology tweaking has been sufficient. (Oh, and George has made it my job to figure it out!!!)

I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse, but L & G returned from StL with fewer "Legend" quality material than they were prepared to buy. (The silver lining is that I got to learn in a more relaxed atmosphere...) The curse is that we debated -- yes, they wanted my input too! -- relaxing the Legend brand and scarfing up lesser material (grade-wise or quality-wise). For those who are curious, it was unanimously agreed that it takes a lot of effort to build up a brand but very little effort to destroy that brand.

I also spent much time looking at amazing coins -- the stuff that I never was interested in as a collector -- as well as listening to them deal with clients and dealers, cold callers, and pounding them with questions about this or that person or aspect within the biz.

I was a hotshot in my previous career. This is quite different. Daunting, yes, but exciting as well! For those who really know me, I have to say that the dance returned to me step, the smile to my face and the optimism to my attitude. The nervous, stress-induced twitch on my face is forever gone!

In the press release, Legend said to come talk to me about coins. Yes, please do! But, if you also really need advice on your IT issues, I'll try to help out so long as it doesn't interfere with my day job. Don't bother me about Abstract Algebra, Topology, Fourier Transforms or Maxwell's Equations. Those days are forever behind me! I was a decent math student, almost good enough to take the Putnam exam. But, I never progressed beyond the undergrad level. (I was also a History major; stop and chat about that any time!)

Steve

Great post Steve! Thanks for sharing your first week with us, I find it fascinating to glimpse at what things are like on the other side of the dealer table!

Steve, I'm looking forward to seeking out your every word on this forum as my gut tells me you are a man to be trusted and your opinions savored.

Steve, a bunch of us- over a dozen now, are meeting for lunch, next door at the Hyatt at 11:30 (PCGS's treat!)- please join us. That is, if you can't get your new employer to afford you a lunch break. . .(If you can make it, please PM Mitch of Wondercoin over on the PCGS Coin or Registry forum as he is formulating the list of participants.)

I've recently passed the first month with Legend, and I've also done my first major show with them (LB). What have I learned? Believe it or not, that was the FIRST question that Laura asked me after we returned.

Hmmm... What have *I* learned???

I learned THREE major things that every aspiring coin dealer should understand:

1. Being enthusiastic about coins can be your downfall. Most of us naturally, automatically and even unknowingly will add eye appeal to a coin if we're enthusiastic about that coin. When it comes time to sell the coin, any prospective buyers may not have the same degree of enthusiasm for that specimen. You never want zeal to supplant objectivity.

2. Being a talented numismatist is irrelevant to being a successful coin dealer. There are many numismatists who can identify die marriages and states, or recite copious numismatic lore like JJ Ford. In fact, I know many people like that. But, being a successful coin *dealer* requires a different set of skills. Totally different!!!

3. Being a coin dealer is usually NOT a glamorous job. In the press release, Laura said that I'm now trying to fulfill a lifelong dream. Let me tell you -- that dream has suddenly acquired a healthy dose of reality!

I go to work 5 days a week, and it is just like work. We have problems, issues and mundane tasks just like in every other profession. We're still trying to improve our imaging quality. (Imagine the difficulty trying to conquer natural science by faithfully transposing something 3D into 2D?!?) We have to deal with the P.O, FedEx, billing, inventory, etc. -- it's a regular business operations center! We have to acquire new product (best to think of them as product instead of this coin or that coin), turnover old product, market product, and innovate.

We even have to deal with human issues... E.g., L got sick in LB, and then G and I felt under the weather for a few days.

And, all the while, we have to contend with the ultra-competitiveness of this generally un-regulated biz. Without getting too verbose on this specific matter, most of us should be able to imagine just how competitive and cutthroat human beings can get when left un-regulated!

As collectors, you love your coins and have a day job. Coins are a diversionary vehicle. As dealers, coins form the basis of our product. We do this for a living, and never the forget the fundamental rule: Reality Bites! Of all the skills I have, and of all the jobs I can do, I still feel that being a rare coin dealer is a good job. Better yet that I got lucky and landed an opportunity with a highly successful high-end retail firm from whom to learn and see some really amazing stuff.

As I go about my business on the message boards, I often read posts that expect -- nay, demand! -- a certain type of behavior from dealers by collectors. Admittedly, I do allow some of those posts to anger me. Mostly, though, I find those posts to be very naive. Most of those posters fail to realize that we all are actors on the same stage, and we all contribute to the same play. Each of us do our own little bit to make the play what it is -- for better or for worse. In practical terms, the market is pretty efficient and it is harsh and unfeeling.

Like with any society, there are people who are good and those who are not so good. Being now on the other side of the table, I realize just how important it is for collectors to deal with honest and experienced dealers. Now matter how sharp of a numismatist you think you are, you still need to find and stick with honest and experienced dealers. Really.

Naturally, I think very highly of Legend's ethical conduct as well as of their experience and expertise. But, they won't be for everyone. There's a right dealer for every collector out there. When you two find each other, you will enjoy this whole affair so much more.

Steve

Now, about my time at LB...

It was both boring and exciting! I spent my days running errands (so G and L can drum up dealer-to-dealer biz), assisting walk-ups, at the back doing inventory and talking to G and L about various issues as they come up.

At night, I did get some free time. But, I also hung out with L to watch her do her auction stuff. IMO, she ripped a sterling piece from the Heritage auction. I am amazed that she can recognize that opportunity so easily. (If she gives me permission, I will identify the piece...)

Of all things that LB was, it was definately exhausting. It was non-stop activity. I was not prepared for its rigor, and some dealers mentioned to L how tired I looked. (They were right!) The cross country flight back was pretty yucky too. No problems, but just that I dislike flying.

Finally, I'll mention the non-numismatic perks...

L bought me a massage from Heather, who goes to all the LB and SC shows to service the many dealers. And, I got to go to the Pond to watch Gm 3 of the Stanley Cup finals. Too bad that Marty had that bizarre miscue... (Yes, L also paid for that ticket, and it was very expensive!!!)

Steve