• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about an early half-dollar thread?? POST 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM!

1,427 posts in this topic

Newps!

50c-1817_small.jpg

50c-1818_A_small.jpg

50c-1829_small.jpg

Thanks goes to James_EarlyUS for the sale (great transaction!)...who I'm sure sold these just so I could show them off in his thread.

Also, thanks to Physics guy for directing me to James' website.

jom

I had stared for a long time at that 1829, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. That is a beautiful coin.

Unfortunately, extra value (read "cost") is wrapped up in the Jules Reiver pedigree, and it's a coin I had to pay up for on the secondary market. Most of his busties were not very attractive, but that was an exception :) . But the pedigree is meaningful in this case, at least for me.

It is always a pleasure to see coins go to a good, new home!

I had stared for a long time at that 1829, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. That is a beautiful coin.

Unfortunately, extra value (read "cost") is wrapped up in the Jules Reiver pedigree, and it's a coin I had to pay up for on the secondary market. Most of his busties were not very attractive, but that was an exception :) . But the pedigree is meaningful in this case, at least for me.

I didn't think it was THAT much of a premium. I've done worse than that in the past.

If most of Reiver CBHs were not very attractive what WAS it that made his stuff special? A different series?

jom

I didn't think it was THAT much of a premium. I've done worse than that in the past.

If most of Reiver CBHs were not very attractive what WAS it that made his stuff special? A different series?

jom

He was a very prominent collector who was also a Nut along with myself and was heavily involved in all the early coinage research. I think that the pedigree really is more hype than anything (I paid too much for an average 1808 a while back). Unless the coin itself is outstanding, it ain't worth paying extra money. And many of those coins were overgraded.

Almost forgot:

1807O114001.jpg

1807O114002.jpg

Nice pickups Jom .

James has a nice bunch of busties at the moment

Stay away from him...he's :devil:

Nice pick up as well!

He was a very prominent collector who was also a Nut along with myself and was heavily involved in all the early coinage research. I think that the pedigree really is more hype than anything (I paid too much for an average 1808 a while back). Unless the coin itself is outstanding, it ain't worth paying extra money. And many of those coins were overgraded.

I don't think the 1829 I got was overgraded BUT I know how that goes...when it comes to prominent collectors. I thought many of the Eliasberg stuff was overgraded as was the Benson material. Then again, much of the Benson collection was UNDERGRADED at the same time (another words...all over the place).

James has this "awful" habit of cracking out coins so I'm not sure if I could ever get the pedigree back! :sumo: The funny part is that the photo from the sale at Heritage is so BAD that you might not be able to tell it's the same coin.

jom

Nice pickups Jom .

James has a nice bunch of busties at the moment

Stay away from him...he's :devil:

Nice pick up as well!

I don't think the 1829 I got was overgraded BUT I know how that goes...when it comes to prominent collectors. I thought many of the Eliasberg stuff was overgraded as was the Benson material. Then again, much of the Benson collection was UNDERGRADED at the same time (another words...all over the place).

James has this "awful" habit of cracking out coins so I'm not sure if I could ever get the pedigree back! :sumo: The funny part is that the photo from the sale at Heritage is so BAD that you might not be able to tell it's the same coin.

jom

I don't know how James graded it but it looks to be an AU 50 to me....(the 29 that is)

1813O-107O.jpg

1813O-107R.jpg

Couple more NEWPS. This 1819 O-113 is yet another Guido, but it is a bit hidden by the damn holder. PCGS AU-53

1819O-113O.jpg

1819O-113R.jpg

And here is an 1834 LDSL O-108 in a PCGS 50 holder. Rather nice color and surfaces:

1834O-108O.jpg

1834O-108R.jpg

A newp from the Chicago ANA last month...

4161b80d.jpg

:o

OK, how much did that set you back? Looks great! I see some hairlines so MS 62 (unless the lines are on the slab)?

jom

:o OK, how much did that set you back? Looks great! I see some hairlines so MS 62 (unless the lines are on the slab)?

jom

JOM, when PCGS takes those pictures, they are pre-slab.

HI folks,

Been posting way too many images lately and I am going to run out of things to show pdq! But here is an ANA Stacks auction pick up. It was the only D ick Osburn half I bid on, the only one I could afford. Cool though, it has quadruple punched 8, arrows point out the first 3 attempts, don't know what the die maker was on or it his eyesight was going but he made a nice die for the ages in either case.

Best, HT

1858-OhalfNGCMS62.jpg